Let's talk Northwoods

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by SadSappySucker, Feb 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    I see the spot you're talking about. I wonder where they source the material from. The denim micarta looks very nice.

2. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    There was a post somewhere that said it's a friend of Derricks. Anybody can be "a friend" so I don't know what that means and didn't ask. You could probably give them a call or email them if you're curious enough. If I remember correctly I believe the information I read came from KSF - although that was awhile back and it's possible I'm remembering incorrectly, but I'm fairly sure it's a friend of his. The burlap micarta is hit or miss for me. I've got some that are great. No air pockets or holes in the covers. Then there's some that I see that I wouldn't want. I'm glad they offer it because it's unique. They've done so many runs with it that I won't buy anymore myself. I wish they would go back to using wood and stag.

TFBraden, Travman and Heirphoto like this.
  3. kaput

kaput

Mar 17, 2016
    All part of the game. It's fun, but it ain't guaranteed. The burlaps have allot of variation, but not like the bones. I thought some of the mammoth bones looked terrible... But that word mammoth sells.

These runs are fun, varied, rewarding but sometimes disappointing. It's a fun ride. And dealing with KSF is always a pleasure. They do the very best they can, they are a distributor, not the maker.

4. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    Don't they own Northwoods and have the knives made to spec? So while they aren't a manufacturer they are in a sense the maker.

Postlapsaria likes this.
  5. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    For every one person that wants a knife with perfect covers there's another person that hopes to get one with holes in the acrylic and wonky burlap.

@kaput yup, snap a few pictures for your posts and off to the for sale forum.

@kaput @Josh K I bet KSF are the supplier of the covers to GEC. Seems like that's how the process works at times. Over the years I've seen dealer posts regarding sourcing cover material.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  6. Heirphoto

Heirphoto Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Luckily for me at times :)

cbr1000 likes this.
  7. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    You'd have to think 95% of the covers comes from GEC. Adding in stuff to spec from a 3rd party tends to become a nightmare fast.

KSF has been really good in the past posting pics of all the knives that have a variation in the covers with the natural material and catching any seconds and posting them separately too. That one must have just snuck through.

8. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    I think what Derrick is going for is a dialed-in, this-is-what-to-expect-from-KSF-because-this-is-what-Northwoods-is-known-for, at least with all the rustic blades. The covers might be that he bought in bulk and got a good deal since he suggested they're trying to do lots of NW runs this year. Might have been a way to make it easier and less costly for production. CK does a similar thing; I think there are certain covers Mike likes, and he likes for there to be consistency in his SFOs. So usually either natural canvas or linen, sawcut bone, and blackwood or ebony.

9. kaput

kaput

Mar 17, 2016
    I don't think there will be a "factory second" from Northwoods any longer. They are just "rustic" ;)

10. okbohn

okbohn

May 26, 2006
    Addressing the questions I saw and also remember... :)

There are always varieties in the burlap. We can always do a refund when the handle material doesn't meet your expectations. We shoot pictures of unique handle materials, but things like the burlap, though they are, technically, unique, we do not shoot them individually.

We do source the handle materials. The burlaps are all made by a knife maker friend of mine. We don't release who. :)

We do have factory seconds from time to time. They go very quickly and they are discounted appropriately.

We source great mammoth. It varies a lot and what one person thinks is terrible is someone else's grail. That is the way it is with these unique handle materials.

11. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Thank you for posting here. I like your mammoth, like your iron clad customer service, and return policies. Hopefully you guys don't change anything with the Northwoods line. Well, except move to Kansas City instead of Chattanooga... and maybe some wood covers every once in awhile in the Northwoods line.

kaput likes this.
  12. robbobus

robbobus Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 4, 2009
    20180320_165610_HDR_Film3-1.jpg 20180320_165617_HDR_Film3-1.jpg amazing thin grind on the Big Bay. Very nice knife as usual.

Northwestcut, Jathes and traumkommode like this.
  13. 007hunter

007hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Speaking of grails and since your answering questions, when might we see these again?:)

[​IMG]

14. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    ^^^^Those sure are purdy!

I'd expect it won't be more than year before we see more. (Right, Derrick? nudge-nudge ;))
    [​IMG]

peanutsxx, JITDC, willard0341 and 9 others like this.
  15. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Very nice knives Al and it is really great to see you posting after a little time away , or have I just not seen your postings ?.

Harry

16. chickenwing

chickenwing

Nov 26, 2017
    My little and big:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    peanutsxx, tmd_87 and pmek5 like this.
  17. dispatch184

dispatch184 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Burnsides please sir! : )

18. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    Thanks Harry! I seem to be hitting "posting hibernation" periods more lately :). Still read a lot, tho.

Old Engineer likes this.
  19. Northwestcut

Northwestcut

Feb 5, 2018
    Slight delay in shipping, so I'm a bit late to the game. Got my shipment late last night though. I'm blown away by these! Totally in love with the mammoth texture and character.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

peanutsxx, Ratbert and Travman like this.
  20. 3-1-1

3-1-1

Apr 2, 2012
    Looks like soup mammoth!