Let's talk Northwoods

Lovely Hawthorne, thegeneftw! I'm hoping to snag a burlap wharncliffe when the rest get posted, in the meantime here's my trusty Broadway JacK in blue camel bone. I bought this knife in person at KSF when they were located just outside of Portland. Having just completed my bachelor's degree, I decided to make a pilgrimage and treat myself to a new knife. I knew very little about traditional pocket knives, and apparently I was there right when these knives went live on the website. The gentleman helping me (not Derrick, I forget his name) grabbed 6 or so of what he thought were the best of the bunch, temporarily removed them from stock so no one would buy them online out from under me, and let me select my favorite. The handle scales are incredibly well matched, walk and talk is light but just right, and the blade finish is gorgeous. I don't think I could ever part with this knife.

pbcEpTg.jpg

Is it this one?

Pictures from google image search:

1325699753-P1012601.JPG

DSC01627.jpg

Probably the one!

The fit&finish on these are glossy, but the blade needed both sharpening and polishing.
After that it has been a great large lockback!

attachment.php

The pouch was a KSF special order for this knife, It's doublelined and shows the Scagel brand.

Regards
Mikael

Attachments

• Scagel #17 011.jpg
    Scagel #17 011.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 361
Probably the one!

The fit&finish on these are glossy, but the blade needed both sharpening and polishing.
After that it has been a great large lockback!

attachment.php

The pouch was a KSF special order for this knife, It's doublelined and shows the Scagel brand.

Regards
Mikael

Wow, that's a beauty - thanks for the picture! Hopefully Northwoods has a lockback run again at some point down the road...

I'm really impressed with this run and the textured burlap. Awesome feel to it
3482e5c74eb7d45b5235b0c2e0858428.jpg

first experience with denim and it is awesome. I love the satin finish on the steel bolsters and cap. I am not usually a fan of the rustic style NW blade grind and finish but this all goes so very well together. I didn't expect to like this as much as I do. Well done NSF and GEC. This is beyond custom quality.

Dr7kmuZh.jpg

bQhs2pih.jpg

I'm really impressed with this run and the textured burlap. Awesome feel to it
3482e5c74eb7d45b5235b0c2e0858428.jpg

I got a hawthorne in denim myself but that burlap looks great. I wonder how does that compare to the GEC 71 in burlap that recently came out. Tempted to get another hawthorne soon

I got a hawthorne in denim myself but that burlap looks great. I wonder how does that compare to the GEC 71 in burlap that recently came out. Tempted to get another hawthorne soon

I have the burlap 71 and it's a different feel. The 71 is a smooth polished finish. The Hawthorne has a textured finish. Similar to the rough feel that the Northwoods Denim has.
0a5e91befcaecaad4fc8563216756932.jpg

Has anybody else had trouble sharpening their Hawthornes? My denim Wharncliffe came with a super uneven grind. Around 15 degrees on one side, and 25 on the other. This is the first Northwoods I've gotten new and while I was impressed with everything else, I found it odd that the grind was so off.

Thanks for posting the pics guys, it's helping me wait for mine to arrive. I'm in Canada so it's a nice long wait : ( I'm hoping it gets here before Friday. As much as I like the denim, I ordered a burlap clip. I have an Esky in denim so I figured I'd go for something different this time, plus it should go well with my K'roo Chunky Drunk.

It's great to see this run of Hawthorns. I just picked one up on the secondary market for probably way too much $$ but I love the design and execution.

I have the burlap 71 and it's a different feel. The 71 is a smooth polished finish. The Hawthorne has a textured finish. Similar to the rough feel that the Northwoods Denim has.
0a5e91befcaecaad4fc8563216756932.jpg

NICE! Thanks for the pic AusLox, I think I'll have to grab one of the burlaps now!

Has anybody else had trouble sharpening their Hawthornes? My denim Wharncliffe came with a super uneven grind. Around 15 degrees on one side, and 25 on the other. This is the first Northwoods I've gotten new and while I was impressed with everything else, I found it odd that the grind was so off.

I've found that GEC is great in overall F&F their primary bevel sharpening skills are lacking. The good thing is the hawthornes have a flat final bevel which means I can set them up for reprofile on my Wicked Edge without any issues. If you are into freehand sharpening the flat secondary grind also makes it easy to reset an edge that works for you.

Lovely Hawthorne, thegeneftw! I'm hoping to snag a burlap wharncliffe when the rest get posted, in the meantime here's my trusty Broadway JacK in blue camel bone. I bought this knife in person at KSF when they were located just outside of Portland. Having just completed my bachelor's degree, I decided to make a pilgrimage and treat myself to a new knife. I knew very little about traditional pocket knives, and apparently I was there right when these knives went live on the website. The gentleman helping me (not Derrick, I forget his name) grabbed 6 or so of what he thought were the best of the bunch, temporarily removed them from stock so no one would buy them online out from under me, and let me select my favorite. The handle scales are incredibly well matched, walk and talk is light but just right, and the blade finish is gorgeous. I don't think I could ever part with this knife.

pbcEpTg.jpg

That is a beauty for sure!

Raining outside so I cannot hope to match the very nice pics so far.. but just got this yesterday. Been chasing a Hawthorne for a long time. I think what really stands out, and as others have mentioned, is the fit and finish is amazing. Honestly nicer then most customs I have handled. Centered, no wobble, and the transitions are smooth as butter! The only thing that surprised me a little bit was the closing action is a little on the light side unlike my other Northwoods, not bad or lazy, just different.

Giraffe bone #17

IMG_1559_zpsfgjbilmo.jpg

IMG_1560_zpsbpxylszr.jpg

Question, something I saw a few posts back - if I'm lucky enough in round two, this will be my first Northwoods. I've wanted denim/wharncliffe for a long time. Having not actually handled much micarta, I had assumed that the denim micarta (and the burlap, and all micarta) was smooth.

Does the fabric texture come through, or is it sealed in enough resin that it feels like polished polymer or acrylic?

Question, something I saw a few posts back - if I'm lucky enough in round two, this will be my first Northwoods. I've wanted denim/wharncliffe for a long time. Having not actually handled much micarta, I had assumed that the denim micarta (and the burlap, and all micarta) was smooth.

Does the fabric texture come through, or is it sealed in enough resin that it feels like polished polymer or acrylic?

You can feel the fabric. It's not smooth/polished.

Maybe you can see on this pic a little better.
c986506c26a8e73013466cbac84d4712.jpg

Don't know about the burlap but on a denim micarta 74 the fabric texture comes through. It feels a bit softer, warmer and with more grip the regular micarta. A knife that has a similar feel is the Esee Izula II. I like both quite a bit for that very reason.

The new burlap micarta is encased in resin. It is smooth but not too slippery. It definitely doesn't feel like fabric though.

This is about as close up as I can get with this camera. Hopefully you can see the texture on the burlap Hawthorne
1abb2f993bcd4cd56cbf90ecb58c1481.jpg

Back