Let's talk Northwoods

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by SadSappySucker, Feb 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. videorecipes

videorecipes Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2017
    the burlap micarta looks closer to the prototype burlap micarta on the gec run of 71's -- derrick, were my eyes fooling me?

2. videorecipes

Jan 12, 2017
    round two in two weeks!

3. chuckgp

chuckgp

Dec 16, 2014
    Got Giraffe Clip #13, haha lucky.

4. coffeemike

coffeemike

Jul 20, 2015
    I loved the burlap, but some looked better than others, so I tried to switch back to the denim (my first true love).

That got me thinking; what kind of scarce denim would Derrick and KSF use for their micarta covers? Then it hit me. It had to be selvedge denim!

(... selvEDGE denim! ... on a knife! ... I need more coffee.)

5. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Different suppliers for the burlap. Might of looked similar but not the same.

6. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    They are quite beautiful. I am going to wait for the two blade versions that I believe are being made.

7. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  8. videorecipes

Jan 12, 2017
  9. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Yeah I didn't get why they were so slow, they look incredible in any cover. That was a birthday present from my wife. She told me to pick any knife, that was the one I chose. Knowing how fast Northwoods sell I was panicking as to whether I'd get it in time but then amazed to see them sitting there for months. Heck, just do it again with a clip blade and they'll fly. :)

10. Duper

Duper Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    I noticed Schatt and Morgan has some new 99s up with 154CM steel. Made me wonder if it was a warm up for some Indian River jacks.

,,,Mike in Canada

11. Shock_

Shock_

Nov 8, 2015
    I'm pretty sure I heard Northwoods had something in the works right now with someone other than GEC.

I should have my Stag Hawthorne clip on Saturday. :D I'm going to be so busy with work as spring starts, I didn't want to risk waiting for 2nd run. Whew that was intense. Lol.

12. okbohn

okbohn

May 26, 2006
    Nope.

13. okbohn

okbohn

May 26, 2006
    We do. We have been working for a couple of years trying to get an additional supplier (all the current GEC made knives and more would still be made there). The problem has been quality. We have gone down several promising paths and have come up short.

We are currently working with three ideas and trying to get some prototypes.

14. AusLoX

AusLoX

Jan 23, 2015
    It's hard to beat the GEC quality; I completely understand the issue with other suppliers.

15. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Stag Hawthorne arrived today...

[​IMG]

16. JITDC

JITDC Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I would love to see another release of the IRJ in the future. The quality concern is very understandable. I applaud Northwoods for their dedication in finding the right supplier/product combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. videorecipes

Jan 12, 2017
    but i do wonder why not have gec manufacture the IRJ in 440c stainless?

18. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    I'll second that.:thumbup:

I'm not sure either. Perhaps because the IRJ is built on the 99 frame which is a Queen pattern.

19. JITDC

JITDC Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2013
    GEC's 440c would make a pretty decent substitute imho. Trading steels like that would be worth the trade off for better fit and finish, better grinds etc.

20. thegeneftw

thegeneftw

Dec 30, 2016
    The new Hawthorne Jacks shipped and received today. They did an outstanding job on this run!

Giraffe bone #11
    [​IMG]

imhuntn likes this.