Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

This forum is awesome every day we see everything from customs hand forged axes to amazing restorations to new axe designs. We all seem to be addicted to these rudimentary simplistic and useful tools. One thing I think we need to see more of in this forum is the use of these tools in our daily lives. “Square_peg” did an amazing job of this with his “hewing timber” tread. So on that note lets see those axes being put to use, lets see them get dirty, lets see them get bet up.

I will see if I can start us off with my fire wood collection, a little side business I have. My axes have become a very important part of my processes. I started off with using my chainsaw for 100% of the work minus splitting. Now all limbing of branches 8 inches and lower I handle with my axes. Don’t get me wrong I love my chainsaw it does make the job so much more efficient. But the constant noise, refueling, chain dulling, pinched bars get to me after a while. Now so much more of my time is using my axes. The peace of being in the woods, the strength in my hands and the edge on my axes there is nothing that gives me a better sense of fulfillment.

Here is my lastest

6792370024_dc5caa6e11_b.jpg

6792370296_658bcd6aa0_b.jpg

6792370208_c6ebd865d6_b.jpg

6938484433_919efacc8a_b.jpg

6792369870_0e6a9225cc_b.jpg

6938484823_a4a4b97a29_b.jpg

Nicely used that is the way I like my axes.

Lets get out there and use them guys.

I like this. I was thinking of doing the same thing. Nicely done.

Ill get the old Stihl out, and show you how to cut some wood! LOL Just kidding.

I like the idea of limbing everything under 8 inches or so to get after it a little more. I have been trying to use my axes more when doing firewood, the saw just makes everything so much faster and easier - can you imagine getting all your firewood only with axes and maybe a crosscut saw? Man we are lucky and spoiled now.....

I have been trying to use my axes more when doing firewood, the saw just makes everything so much faster and easier - can you imagine getting all your firewood only with axes and maybe a crosscut saw? Man we are lucky and spoiled now.....

Thats what I've been doing this past year :D. Using softwood in the right context really helps, as does cutting wood green. I can attest green hard maple is actually easier to chop than really really dry pine. I cut a lot of smaller diameter stuff that you just split in half and call it good. Of course crosscut saws and axes are a hobby so I'm a bit more patient than most people.

Thats what I've been doing this past year :D. Using softwood in the right context really helps, as does cutting wood green. I can attest green hard maple is actually easier to chop than really really dry pine. I cut a lot of smaller diameter stuff that you just split in half and call it good. Of course crosscut saws and axes are a hobby so I'm a bit more patient than most people.

Good points. Mostly what I have available to me is mostly silver/sugar maple, elm, cherry, and oak.

Growing up, we always had to cut down mammoth trees and then split everything out. I can remember one time, on my great great uncles farm, we cut down what I believe was a black walnut tree that was to me, a gigantic. I remember using the old monster maul on it, and it would just bounce right off. We had to wedge eveything, and I remember getting as many as 9 split pieces out of one main piece. It was a nightmare. Now, with my old man 70, 90% of stuff cut for him is under 10 wide (that will fit in the old coal furnace) or a one time split job.

When I bought my house i had a ton of red pine, and yes it is a frick to split. Rather do maple or oak or even elm anyday. Damn pine anyway.

Good thread here. Cant wait to get out and cut now.....

I've been cutting a lot of pine that is probably 30 odd years, it was all planted in a grid so it splits fine as long as you cut around the knots right. Some pieces I look at and just chuck off in the crap pile though. The knotty stuff is just about impossible to split.

....lets see those axes being put to use, lets see them get dirty, lets see them get bet up.

Great thread, RP! We love our axes but most of all we love using them. I love your idea of using the axe for limbing anything under 8". And I bet your Council and your True Temper love the idea, too.
waytogo.gif

There have been a number of times on one of our family places when we do a wood cutting project or a brush clearing when the hands available outnumbered chain saws. I let my brother in law run and fool with his chainsaws and I go at it limbing with an axe, a machete or a buck saw. He heats with wood so the volume of wood he needs to process is way more then I need for recreational use. Somedays when the chains and motors are not cooperating you still have to get work done. At least I earn my lunch on those days. I am not a big fan of feeding and maintaining motors so my cylinder index is as low as it has to be and I am in no hurry to jack it up higher.

Last edited:
i can dig the low cylinder count. i'm not a motorhead either.

i don't burn wood for heat, burn it cause i want to. so chopping is an added bonus not a chore
also i'm more into planting trees than cutting them down.

all good

buzz

In a lot of places here in central MN there is a two fold issue. Trees need to be planted in a good variety but lots of invasive trees like buckthorn need to be grubbed out and burned. Then there are the trees we have that can be used but are not high value like boxelder, american elm and cedar. American elm is one that now has such a short life span but they sprout up everywhere and then you have a twenty year old dead tree which makes firewood but is hard to split. Some areas get over grown in these so that trees with higher value have a tough time getting enough sun and water. The care and management of a wood lot or a larger forest is a life long project, with the way people are so disengaged from the land it is a job that is getting bigger year to year.

I like this. I was thinking of doing the same thing. Nicely done.

Ill get the old Stihl out, and show you how to cut some wood! LOL Just kidding.

I like the idea of limbing everything under 8 inches or so to get after it a little more. I have been trying to use my axes more when doing firewood, the saw just makes everything so much faster and easier - can you imagine getting all your firewood only with axes and maybe a crosscut saw? Man we are lucky and spoiled now.....

operator, dont be talking smack about husqvarna... thats a good way to make a fellow angry;)

husqvarna 455 rancher... the wife has the 353...

stihl sucks:D

I take both on with one of my 10 dollar former rust bucket disstons! Husky and stihl suck, disston all the way ;)

LOL and how did this go from an axe conversation to a chainsaw ego battle?
BTW mine is a Husky 460 and it was free from a friend, can't argue with that.

I took a Disston felling saw I re did out and cut some white pine for a test run. I will post some pics in the crosscut thread tomorrow or something. Cut great, no effort, just dragging back and forth. I think 6" ish pine would take about 15 or 20 seconds to cut, but very very little energy exerted.

Someone should probably post something axey before this derails into complete saw chaos :D

I use a chainsaw every weekend to get firewood, but I hate it. Using an axe is soooooo much more enjoyable...

Are you doing much bucking with an axe? If so, what are you using as a backing? I've got dozens of small Douglas Firs that need to come out and I'm looking for ideas on making a sort of "bucking station"; somewhere to unload and buck logs.

Back