Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

Not enough pictures in this thread! I'll add a couple.

I limbed up this little storm fall Doug-fir this afternoon.

1_003.jpg

That tree was weakened because the guy wires that supported it when it was planted were never removed until I discovered them last year. The poor thing was just coming back into health when this winter's ice storm hit. It never had a chance.

2.JPG

We had some strong winds roll through GA over the past week which means good news for me. Here is one that I have to clean up. This had to be one of the largest oak trees in the area.

7109444931_a477072380_b.jpg

I broke out my newly shinned Council Tool and started limbing.

6963371898_1341201463_b.jpg

6963372120_59665c93e2_b.jpg

6963371428_338220674c_b.jpg

7109445101_5ed0c8cdc7_b.jpg

It was a good haul day.:thumbup:

6963372902_4dca868e64_c.jpg

Excellent! That big oak will put an axe to the test.
waytogo.gif

Looks like you're tooled up pretty good. What's that other chopper in the back of the truck, your splitter?

Hey RP, nice pics. Looks like a good time! You should really slow down on all the posting (12posts)!!! ;) You make each post count. :thumbup:

I broke out my newly shined Council Tool and started limbing.

6963371898_1341201463_b.jpg

I love the fact that you would take such a beautiful axe (really it's a piece of art) and put it to work. That's what it was made for. There's nothing quite like the feeling of taking a first class tool to work.

rblarson, how do you like the CT jersey... i've often wondered about those...

they sure look nice, id like to here more about them if you wouldnt mind...

thanks, bear

It was a good haul day.:thumbup:

6963372902_4dca868e64_c.jpg

Hey rplarson, in this last picture, I was wondering what you use that hook for stuck in the log?? It looks like the hay hooks that I use, but it looks sharpened? It might be an obvious answer, but if it's a hay hook, and you have found a different use for them, I'd love to know.

Also that council axe looks great. I found one for ten bucks at a local store. It's an old USA Council axe. Do you think it would be worth it? It looks to be in pretty good shape, but it needs a new handle. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, tell me to go out and get it.

Fun thread guys. I usually just split the wood while my pap chainsaws it all up, but maybe I'll get a few pics of my axe, maul, and sledge n wedge up.

Here's some from this weekend. Haven't properly thanked Operator for them, nor posted pictures...or even used them till now!

SpringLake-20120429-00063.jpg

Crockery-20120429-00068.jpg

Crockery-20120429-00077.jpg

Crockery-20120429-00061.jpg

Yeah. That will teach me about paying attention when un-sticking a double bit....The double is a Sager and the single is unmarked, but capable user! I currently lack a proper splitter, but both of those worked surprisingly well!

Last edited:
I currently lack a proper splitter, but both of those worked surprisingly well!

What's not 'proper' about a big single bit as a splitter? I think they perform well as splitters. Save the double bit for a chopper/feller except in a pinch.
215135-Penny.gif
215135-Penny.gif

What's not 'proper' about a big single bit as a splitter? I think they perform well as splitters. Save the double bit for a chopper/feller except in a pinch.
215135-Penny.gif
215135-Penny.gif

Nothing I guess :D

I thinned this one out a bit though and was sinking in far too deep without actually splitting. The double bit actually worked out pretty well but yeah, definitely saving for different tasks.

At least someone is having fun with their axe.

I've heard that birch makes passable haft stock. Are you going to save any of that birch for hafts?

Also, birch can be a little tougher to split because the bark fibres wrap the trunk, binding it together.

I've heard that birch makes passable haft stock. Are you going to save any of that birch for hafts?

Also, birch can be a little tougher to split because the bark fibres wrap the trunk, binding it together.

I do believe that the handle on that roselli is birch. Whatever you decide to do with it, do it quick as birch is not rot resistant at all.

Thanks SP.

Yes, I plan on using some for my Mk3 Plumb hatchet helve.
I have a larger diameter piece to split down.

All being well, I may have enough for the old Kent pattern broad axe I want to handle too.

Noted on the splitting! Hopefully the Roselli will be up to task.

I do believe that the handle on that roselli is birch. Whatever you decide to do with it, do it quick as birch is not rot resistant at all.

Yeah G. It's terrible for that. I've got my bow saw to one side for the morning....the weather is dreadful though, shocking downpours since early afternoon yesterday, and still going strong.

Hopefully I can get some processed without too much of a soaking!

Good thread. I'ma post up a couple of photos you all might enjoy.

Picture813-1.jpg

Picture952.jpg

Picture.jpg

I don't really have any pictures of axe work in progress. I try not to let myself do other things while chopping or felling trees just because I'm a risky enough person without distractions!

Back