Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

Got this log joggled on 2 sides today. Just playing around wit it. Don’t be too harsh on me ;)Ready for hewing with the new broad axe when my body gets some more energy. Merry Christmas everybody!
B5462965-667-C-4457-B64-C-80-E72-C30-E4-D6.jpg

Got this log joggled on 2 sides today. Just playing around wit it. Don’t be too harsh on me ;)Ready for hewing with the new broad axe when my body gets some more energy. Merry Christmas everybody!
Looks good!
I'm not an expert by any means but I can give you one tip from experience. Be sure to lay down wood, plywood works well, under the log where you'll be hewing. So if you miss or go through you won't drive it into the dirt or a rock and ruin your edge. It's discouraging and I've done it. :( I thought the bark chunks would be enough but they weren't. Look forward to seeing your finished beam! Or post?

Looks good!
I'm not an expert by any means but I can give you one tip from experience. Be sure to lay down wood, plywood works well, under the log where you'll be hewing. So if you miss or go through you won't drive it into the dirt or a rock and ruin your edge. It's discouraging and I've done it. :( I thought the bark chunks would be enough but they weren't. Look forward to seeing your finished beam! Or post?
Thanks, good to know. I wondered about the bark being sufficient enough landing. A piece of plywood is cheap insurance though. As far as a beam or post? You decide haha. As of now I don’t really have a use for it other than wanting the experience of it. My hats off to the men who did this all day everyday.

npace--I would suggest you get the stick up about knee height and dog it tight before putting the broad axe to it. For an example of what I am saying, look at the hewing section in the US Forest Service training video "These Old Cabin Logs"
I have thought about trying to get it up higher and may end up doing so before all is said and done. I have seen it done both ways so I’ll just have to try both and see which way works for me.

Good afternoon npace. Not sure if you are partial to broad axes or not. But there is an embossed one on CL out in KC. It is stamped Witte Hardware St. Louis, MO. Not sure if you would be interested or not. Nice little piece of history.

Good afternoon npace. Not sure if you are partial to broad axes or not. But there is an embossed one on CL out in KC. It is stamped Witte Hardware St. Louis, MO. Not sure if you would be interested or not. Nice little piece of history.

That is a nice one I will go look at at that. I work in St. Louis as a crane operator and I pass the old witte hardware store building almost daily on my way to the job. It has been rehabbed into office space but they kept the old witte hardware store painting on the side of the brick building. I have had my eye open for any axes from them but haven’t found any. Thank you sir. I appreciate it.

As long as we're on the subject I have put this movie together combining work from last year. Very difficult to make something coherent from many loose pieces with plenty more missing and only hoping that the streaming server works from the other end relaying the movie down the line.

<iframe src="https://archive.org/embed/mymovie1_202001" width="640" >

Last edited:
As long as we're on the subject I have put this movie together combining work from last year. Very difficult to make something coherent from many loose pieces with plenty more missing and only hoping that the streaming server works from the other end relaying the movie down the line.

That was fantastic! Thank you for sharing!

Nice work Ernest you guys make it look easy! Thank you for sharing.

Ernest-Thank you for making and posting this video, I think it is wonderful! My now deceased brother was a carpenter and worked construction his entire life and would have enjoyed seeing this, as well. He was involved in building a church nearly 30 years ago and they used some pretty big timbers although they were sawn and not hewed. I know he would have found this video very interesting, too.

As a side note, I once had four dogs and I have always thought it rather odd that they all seemed to enjoy chewing on old downed tree branches or scrap lumber in the shop and I always worried that they would get slivers in their gums and infections and such. After watching this video it appears the dogs in Europe seem to enjoy chewing on wood, too. None of the dogs ever got slivers stuck in their gums and they all lived to be old dogs.

It's kind of you to say so Hairy Clipper and mention the association also with your brother who you've referred so highly to before. But I have to think then of this afternoon spent at the Viking exhibition. A life-sized re-production of one of their ships but then built by students at the local technical school. Okay, it may be demanding a lot but I couldn't help question the complete lack of any sign of hand tool use in the construction of this ship, A missed opportunity and so many obvious elements where a little more thought, time and effort could have made a big difference. Our dogs, it's sketchy territory, one where I tread lightly if not try avoiding for the most part but you have brought it up a few times. This one does seem particularly drawn to wood though the only time it has resulted in injury is when he got a stick in the eye while diving for mice.

Ernest-When you mentioned a life size re-production of a Viking ship you triggered one of those little gray cells that Hercule Poirot frequently references ... although he does not reference my little gray cells. Forty years ago a fellow (Robert Asp) from Minnesota built a Viking ship and it was sailed from Duluth Minnesota on the western corner of Lake Superior through the Great Lakes and across the north Atlantic before the Hjemkomst reached it's destination of Oslo Norway. You might find the link below of interest. I remember the TV stations would give an update on the progress of the build every year or two until it was finished and they had stories of the trip through the Great Lakes and the arrival in Norway. The whole state of Minnesota was wrapped up in this project and followed it.

https://www.hcscconline.org/the-hjemkomst.html

Last edited:
I will be looking at this site more when I have the time. There are similarities to the ship I've seen today, if I were to put it generously, and this site you give has already answered the question my daughter had about sleeping accommodations on one of these.

The Hjemkomst was some good stuff, recommended reading so thanks for introducing it here Harry. By the way, does anyone spot the significant conceptual error constituting the refurbished village forge from my movie?

Last edited:
Back