1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by rplarson2004, Feb 28, 2012.

1. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    Nice work. I'll send some more your way this winter if you want a few.

2. Irongun324

Irongun324

Mar 22, 2012
    Still new here, but my recent hang and user.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Bull Mountain Custom

Bull Mountain Custom Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Very nice work rehanging that axe. Any markings or additional details on it?

4. Irongun324

Irongun324

Mar 22, 2012
  5. DeadFall27

DeadFall27 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2011
    I split some wood today from the side of the house so we can get rid of it; it was mostly huge stumps which are difficult to transport without a truck (I had to use my neighbor's wedges for some of 'em, it sucked).
    It has been there for years before we found the house and it is all punky with tons of fungi and there is no way I am going to burn it in our fireplace this winter.

Used Grandpa's 5lb Plumb for it all. Also, I did fell those trees successfully on my other Grandpa's property, thank you for the tips boys!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
    Deadfall, that rafting pattern Plumb is sweet! Not a ton of those around. It probably has a hardened poll, can you tell if it does?

7. DeadFall27

May 18, 2011
    Oh yeah, it does :D

8. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    Tackled a big birch on the Flat Mountain Pond trail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  9. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
    That's some serious chopping, Chris! That birch is lovely wood...wish we had it here...beats the crap out of our aspens...

10. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Water Birch (Betula occidentalis).

11. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    Thanks. This one was OLD. Lot of heartwood and knotty. Still some nice chips and a few plates. Can't beat that.

12. moosecreektrails

moosecreektrails

Apr 8, 2012
    Nice work chopping. thanks for the pics

13. disduster

disduster Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2007
    cut up a big oak the past week that came down last october in a freak snowstorm, still more trees to cut up yet as well, what a mess that storm made here in southcentral PA. mainly chainsaw work but my main work axe got some work in too(driving wedges and a chop here and there). either way woodswork pics with axes pictured. :thumbup:
    butt pic, my gloves in photo for size comparision.
    [​IMG]
    to the top. she streched up their a bit, good sized crown too.
    [​IMG]
    my chainsaw axe, the one that stays in the chainsaw stuff bin. 3 1/2 plumb jersey on a 28 inch handle
    [​IMG]
    do you see 3 users axes in the pic?
    [​IMG]
    woodsbuggy:D
    [​IMG]
    tree took around 4 hours to cut up myself with a few quick breaks, 7 loads to move with the trailer a few days later. Now in a pile awaiting the maul.

14. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    very nice :)

15. moosecreektrails

moosecreektrails

Apr 8, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Cutting Douglas fir in Idaho 1 tree filled the truck (3/4 cord) all split with my 6# maul

16. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    Continuing to work on the Flat Mountain Pond trail. Met up with this beast of a big-tooth aspen.

[​IMG]

This one made a lot of noise. So I was very careful. Finished on the uphill side with the top "branch". ~3' of cutting. Will have to go back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. DeadFall27

May 18, 2011
    If I may ask, what do some of you guys do for a living? All of these pics are making me curious.

18. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I'm a massage therapist and a barista. [​IMG]

19. theevilmike

theevilmike

Sep 16, 2010
    Tree Climber (arborist)

DSCF6254.jpg mike1.jpg

20. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm in finance.

Volunteer trailwork. Best excuse to feed my axe addiction. Therapy would probably be a lot cheaper.