lever gun

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the best of all Savage 99. I don't have one either; Win 44 mag lever to companion my Flattop .44 OM Ruger Single Action.

I have to say the Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 is amazing!! I have used mine for BIG hogs. In the 400 pound range. They are enough gun to put down anything on legs. The Buffalo Bore in 405 grains is a monster. The Marlins are vault strong, and a ton o rifle for the money. Mine will consistently hold fist groups at 100yards with irons. Way more than accurate enough for the round and the application. I took my hog at 80 yards, he went down with one solid hit. Not a "plinker", but serious medicine for rough, brushy, tight quarters uses.

Last edited:
Hard to argue with the Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70. It has taken the big five in Africa and paired with Buffalo Bore or Garrett Cartridge ammo, you are aptly prepared for when T-Rex walks the earth again. I've used mine on hogs as well, breaking the near and far shoulder on one and shooting lengthwise through a 330 pounder. Very impressive.

If you get a Marlin, try and get an older one. The new Freedom Group made ones I'm sure are fine, but after what they did to Marlin as a company and the employees I gave up hope on the newer ones.

Yepper....I was a little shocked to hear that. I guess I was being naive or just plain out of the loop, but until recently I was not aware that Marlin was no longer Marlin owned. Anyone know the dates of when the company changed hands?

The purchase was back in Jan 2008 and believe started manufacturing in Jul 2009. Production methods changed, which has contributed to some quality, fit and finish issues. Good info on the topic on the Marlin Owners forum.

I've owned two Marlin 1895s manufactured in 1999 and another after the acquisition. Fit and finish on the newer model (SBL) was not as good as my original Guide Gun. Action was a little rougher, but cleaned up nicely.

The purchase was back in Jan 2008 and believe started manufacturing in Jul 2009. Production methods changed, which has contributed to some quality, fit and finish issues. Good info on the topic on the Marlin Owners forum.

I've owned two Marlin 1895s manufactured in 1999 and another after the acquisition. Fit and finish on the newer model (SBL) was not as good as my original Guide Gun. Action was a little rougher, but cleaned up nicely.

Good info to know. I'll have to check when I purchased mine...it may have been around that time of change of ownership. Thanks!

Finally found the picture I was looling for. Minus the CRK this is still what goes with me when I go Hunting (or camping with guns).

this is pretty much what im gonna be doing ha ha ha[video=youtube_share;9IVCwYPjFXc]http://youtu.be/9IVCwYPjFXc[/video]

[video=youtube_share;0eyFjcXZP7A]http://youtu.be/0eyFjcXZP7A[/video] or this hail to the king!

i have been googling over lever 357's for years now. been wanting a marlin for maybe 5 year but never have been able to pull the trigger. wish i had jumped on them when they were $500. i saw some new marlins in a gun shop last year but for $700 i just couldnt pull the trigger. I eventually ended up buying a 7.62x39 bolt gun since it was a toss up between those two rifles for deer hunting this coming season. I still haven't managed to stomp my bug for a 357 lever. so now i'm actually thinking i may get a rossi ranch hand or some mare's leg lever pistol in .357 and make plans to sbr it at some point.

when i finally get around to getting a .357 lever i hope to match it up with a ruger single six convertible in .357/9mm. may even get the ruger first since it seems like one of those things they only make for a couple years.

but i'm not saying you should get one... :) ;)

I have a newer marlin 1894c in .357/.38 special, to match my revolver, I put some peep sights and a big loop lever on it. So far about 300 rounds through it, not a single problem

cf2ed952.jpg

Only pic I have uploaded at the moment.

And the revolver. Been thinking about a single action though
1d3f5ff5.jpg

Beef
I have an older model Marlin 30-30 you can borrow sometime if you want to try out a Marlin.

Garth

Beef, a 1873 is a terrific lever gun a true classic and can be one of the slickest sweetest shooters around, if you reload I'd advise getting one of the bottle necked cartridge's instead of the 45lc. A 44-40 or 38-40 run smooth as silk through the 73 or 66, and if you decide to try some blackpowder loadings, full case charges in 44-40 are heavy hitters and you don't get any residue blown back in the action. Really terrific guns. I would slick it up and add some upgraded springs if it were me. The marlin 1894s are good guns too, just not as smooth or fast. But they will allow you to load the hotter cartridges. I've got a few of each, the 73 is the one that comes out the most though and I've shot over 100k rounds in competitions through mine with only spring replacements. Stay away from the winchester 94s in pistol calibers too long an action for a short round if you want winchester get the 1892 or clone for a pistol cal round.

Yeah I eventually wore out the main spring and the lifter springs got soft. Of course the finish is beat all to hell and the blue is pretty much worn off most of it. You know how hard you run a gun in SASS and with any race gun your right on the ragged edge of what the gun can do. So you polish the crap out of everything that could rub on anything and put better springs in than the factory ones and the uberti 73's can really take a beating. My daughter shoots a marlin 94 and its had the same treatment and other than new springs about every 25thousand rounds its just as tough. Replace the 2 piece firing pin on the marlin first thing and give it a good action job and its slick too, just not quite as slick as a 73 or 66. Now the Henry's can be just as slick but getting used to walking your fingers around the tube follower takes some getting used to, they get damn hot shooting blackpowder fast too. The winchester 92 clones really need a good action job they are rough as a cob inside. Tough gun though and much better for pistol rounds than a winchester 94, the lever stroke is so long on a 94 you have a lot more chance of a lifter problem with them. They were designed for 30-30s originally and thats what the work the best with. Then if you want to step up in power its hard to beat the marlin 1895, tough and hard hitting and with a good tang sight I've had fun out to 1000 yards on steel with them. I won a few side matches for long range lever gun big bore with a marlin cowboy 1895 in 45/70. I always liked the 38/55 too.

^^^^^^^^^^good stuff CD. My puma 92 is one of the first imports without the safety, and does great with .38's but sometimes the longer 357's hang up if I work the action rapidly. Do you have a good smith you recommend? It could use some smoothing up....

Having owned a half dozen lever guns of various sorts, it's my opinion that Marlin makes the best one i've ever handled. I am personally enamored with the stainless steel guide guns, but their .44 mags are fantastic too.

For a fun gun at the range I would get the best model to fit your pistol ... if it's .45LC then go with that ...

Back