1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

3. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Like" posted on a for sale or for trade post?

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by Hale Storm, Sep 13, 2019 at 1:05 PM.

1. Hale Storm

Hale Storm Kydex Whisperer Gold Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Mods, please feel free to move this if i have it in the wrong place. My apologies in advance if I do.

I'm just curious, or maybe I just don't know what I'm doing. It seems when I post a thread with something for sale or trade, that invariably ,someone hits a "like" button on that post.
    Why? What does it mean? i.e You "like" a post that I created selling a used knife that is very common and popular in our community?
    I don't get it. Can someone explain why anyone would post a "like" for a for sale thread on a super common edc blade that is nothing special, no mods, bone stock, etc.?
    Is it to frustrate me when I see that I have a message or reply in the thread and hope I have a buyer or trade offer, only to open it and see that someone "liked" my for sale/trade post?

Educate me please.

Thanks in advance BF.

tyyreaun, Øye, Mecha and 20 others like this.
  2. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I am with you OP. It is similar to comment on a sales post without committing to purchase.

jeepin and Hale Storm like this.
  3. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    People don’t want to clutter a sales post by adding unnecessary comments. So, they’ll hit the like button instead.
    That’s my take on it anyway.

4. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    I'll do it in the customs.

Now I have to check these other sales threads to see what's so likeable.

5. Sergeua

Sergeua Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    Maybe they like the price you offer and maybe they would buy it, but at the time are financially have to make different choices.
    Don't get too worked up about it.

6. Jarhead Greasemonkey

Jarhead Greasemonkey

Jan 4, 2015
    Alerts: Alert Preferences: Likes your message.

UNcheck that box.

Simple.

Wilfred17, Mecha, Norcaldude and 20 others like this.
  7. jp9mm

jp9mm Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 1, 2019
    Basically this.
    Rules against posting stuff like 'nice knives' or 'good deal'

also if you think likes on your sale are annoying don't ever try to sell something on craigslist, lol

Hale Storm, Lance Leon and BBW like this.
  8. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    ^^
    I like posts that show off great knives, or a great price...etc. but that I, for whatever reason can't buy.

Edit; i don't do words good

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 2:56 PM
    LizaMari, Hale Storm, Cogam87 and 4 others like this.
  9. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    If know the seller, I'll like their sale post. I don't think it's as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. Honestly, I think people like stuff just to be nice.

10. Hale Storm

Sep 18, 2013
    I wasn't trying to make a big deal of it. I was just curious. It doesn't really irritate me per se, but who doesn't like opening their posts and seeing a trade offer or an "I'll take it"?

Øye, Mecha, jkwithawave and 2 others like this.
  11. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Your original post said it frustrates you. If you don't like it , change your alert preferences. Easy.

LizaMari, TOMBSTONE, Nautique and 3 others like this.
  12. Hale Storm

Sep 18, 2013
    Actually, I didn't say that. I ASKED if it was done to frustrate me. I'll look into the alert preferences. Thanks!!!

Øye and Mecha like this.
  13. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    I think it's a nice way to endorse the post. If anything, I would think that having a bunch of likes on your sales post will increase your chance of selling it. I usually do it when I think the prices are great. I've seen mods do it as well, usually on a rare knife.

14. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Personally, I consider BladeForums a community forum first and a sales site second. Someone liking a post is indicative to a supporting gesture...not a negative one.

Is it really that inconvenient? If anything, it validates that your sale is for a good product and has value.

15. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I use my phone and sometimes like posts by accident while scrolling.

Vaporstang, Hale Storm and r8shell like this.
  16. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    That is implied sir.

Hale Storm likes this.
  17. Dopic1

Dopic1 Titanic Boat Insurance Platinum Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Yes

18. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007

19. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    I've always seen it as a "vouch". Whether for you, the price, or the knife. I've never viewed it as negative.

20. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Like, ok; or like to each his own.

Hale Storm likes this.