List of ZTs that Don't Have Lock Failure Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree for normal use it is very unlikely the spine will encounter any impact, let alone a huge one that can fold the knife. However, I also doubt how helpful the death grip of one's hand can be in the case of sudden impact on the spine (like a blow to it by a swinging baseball bat;)).

I would imagine if your holding the knife tight while working with it and the spine did hit something hard, the pressure of your hand around the knife and lockbar would prevent it from unlocking. Not sure how important this spine wack test really is.Anyone this concerned should get a tri ad lock or a Demko ad15 ...
I think I saw a test on this and the answer is that your hand is not strong enough to overcome the blade being forced closed if the lock did slip.

The fact that we have to rely on a death grip to secure the blade speaks volumes for ZT knives. No thanks.

No death grip involved. Just use it like a damn knife. Tell me this, how in the hell did folks cut back in the day with knives with NO lock??? Exactly the same way you would cut stuff with a ZT, that's how. A little common sense goes a long ways. Yall complaining about ZTs locks are making a mountain out of a mole hill here or just watching too many youtube vids.

No death grip involved. Just use it like a damn knife. Tell me this, how in the hell did folks cut back in the day with knives with NO lock??? Exactly the same way you would cut stuff with a ZT, that's how. A little common sense goes a long ways. Yall complaining about ZTs locks are making a mountain out of a mole hill here or just watching too many youtube vids.
I don't take posts seriously when the source is clearly biased. Half the posts here complaining about one specific brand and problem without citing any first hand experience? No thanks.

But the YouTube says so....

I spine whacked / spine tapped (whatever you call it) just now a framelock folder and a Buck 110. The same force that caused the framelock to slip did NOT cause the Buck to fold.

So the argument that a framelock can withstand more force on the spine than a traditional folder may not be true.

Edit: I still do NOT think the framelock folder is defective, just that I take notes what it can and cannot be used for and how to properly use it.

Although Spine whack test Could expose some questionable geometry on any knife the fact is that it simulates nothing that can happen in real use situations unless a real use situation for the tester involves whacking his knife upside down on a hard surface holding a blade in such a way as to Not put Any pressure on the lock bar. Aside from that unlikely scenario you would probably never encounter that situation during normal use. That being said does ZT have some units with questionable geometry (probably) but considering that they have thousands of knives (or more) being used daily it seems that the numbers don't equivalate to a mass outbreak of Poor QC or anything close to recall statice. As for ZT focusing on aesthetics or their knives being called pocket jewelry, well all I know is that when ever I walk by a knife display at a store and that's often, ZT's are the knives that catches my eyes first but it's the quality of the fit and finish that gets me to buy it. I have tested dozens of ZT's and other makes in the past few months after reading about this possible problem on the BF and have found no issues with any knife that I handled In Fact I bought my first ZT while doing my little part of research for the community. If anyone has a problem with a mass produced knife then they should make a warranty claim and although it sucks sending your blade away for work it's the only way any company is going to become aware of a potential problem. While posting about possible problems on the BF is a great way to bring the subject to light the posters and people who reply should Try to stick to Facts and the best scientific evidence they can muster up in order to keep this community Legit and although name calling and gang bashing is (A Thing) and can get comical at times it's simply not helpful to the OP or anyone else who is seeking an answer so let's try to stay civil and focussed incase this is a real problem. This has been a BFPSA :)

Appreciate the video. Too bad it's dwarfed by the many other ZT lock failure videos on YouTube and Instagram.

Reactions: Mo2
With this debate raging on, and since I’m taking this week off for no reason other than burning vacation days, I decided it was totally necessary to document my own testing. Becuz siense.

Now thats the type of science i'm talking about RBid:thumbsup::thumbsup: It's vids like this^ that keeps this place legit. Nice work again:) But why both Laconicos? That's dedication to the cause

Many framelocks can withstand hard spine taps. Just because a few here and there didn't doesn't make it an all inclusive fact. I've hit some very hard that never gave. There's also many videos out there showing them holding up.

With this debate raging on, and since I’m taking this week off for no reason other than burning vacation days, I decided it was totally necessary to document my own testing. Becuz siense.

I really don't think you get it cause you haven't read what people have said nor watched the source video of the issue. Based on your video your just trolling or just don't know. Do you want a link to Neroknives YouTube channel to see?

Last edited:
I really don't think you get it cause you haven't read what people have said nor watched the source video of the issue. Based on your video your just trolling or just don't know. Do you want a link to Neroaknives YouTube channel to see?

Do you mean neroknives (no ‘a’)?

Nope. I clearly haven’t seen it. Link?

Now thats the type of science i'm talking about RBid:thumbsup::thumbsup: It's vids like this^ that keeps this place legit. Nice work again:) But why both Laconicos? That's dedication to the cause

Thank you!

I hadn’t tested the Keens before, and I had a chance to get a little extra data, soooo... there it is.

I watched the nero dude video again. TBH, he was spine whacking hard not just spine tapping lightly. Plus, if you look closely, you should see that the force applied to the blade tip portion can more easily cause the lock to disengage than to the middle section of the blade. I actually agree to most of what he said about why those framelock folders were failing the spine whacking test.

sharp_edge sharp_edge sound is lost a bit without the benefit of being indoors. I was hitting the wood hard enough and far enough out on the swedges to mark the wood repeatedly. Wood is also harder than a roll of tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back