List of ZTs that Don't Have Lock Failure Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
pz80ciG.jpg

This will be my last post on this thread.

Early in my Academic career I worked for the IT Department in the Canadian Government, I worked on the software and hardware for all parts on the government from elected officials and justice/court buildings, to law enforcement and first responders, to health services and public works. Over 90% of the reports we receive of not working hardware of software, when we would fix and it would turn out that the issue was caused by the user. You know what nobody ever did? They never said, I broke the computer or I don't know how to operate this system/access the server. You know what people said? The system is broken, your software isn't working etc. It just amazed me, how many people would break something, I mean we would see the weirdest errors possible that defy all logic and the individual would never know how it happened. Then there were some specific cases that would call weekly with broken hardware and issues, this hardware lasted majority of people year(s), yet these select individuals would have it broken in a week. It got to the point we would test everything we gave them, it would be flawless yet they would somehow still break it and they would not know how. Every time these individuals would always blame the hardware for breaking.

So, when I see somebody who has something that breaks on them constantly, more than others whether it be knives or technology, I look at the factors involved, these items were made in different batches, inspected and tested by different people, during different times etc, but you know what the only constant factor is? The person who constantly complaining on how everything is broken. The only logical and constant issue in the equation is the person complaining, so when I see a person who is constantly complaining about all these knives failing, I reflect on the possibilities and probabilities. Eventually I have to come to the conclusion since it is the only logical answer, whether it is on purpose or through negligence the individual complaining is the explanatory variable. People don't know what they don't know, however humans in general have hard time not understanding something, so they quantify it incorrectly by blaming it on someone or something else. I can say I only have a basic understanding of physics, and a relatively extensive background in mathematics, and I can tell from this thread, most are missing the basic fundamentals of these subjects. How are you going to be outrage about something you know nothing about? Locks are all about physics and geometry, plus a little bit of chemistry(how materials react) and I don't see that logic or understanding in many of these arguments.

Last edited:
I can't lie I saw a few ZT lock fail vids a few months ago and it made me not have any interest in ZT.
But I recently bought a used 0350 and it's such a fantastic knife that I needed to change my tune. I understand its a liner lock but it has made me more then willing to take a chance on a frame lock ZT

What about all the folks that have ZTs that DON'T fail these stupid spine whack tests? Do they have an unreasonable voice?
No.....Just the ones saying that lock failure on some examples isn't a problem. Clearly for folks who are not happy with this, it is indeed a problem. Sure we can all get by with slipjoints or use fixed blades, but many of us buy locking folders with the expectation that they work as intended. I don't see that as at all unreasonable.

I've only had two ZT folders, out of probably 25 or so I'v owned, on which the lock would disengage unintentionally, from a push from my thumb mind you not spine whacks. Sure that is not a high percentage, but I like my fingers intact and my locks to lock, and when I am paying $200 plus for a locking folder, even if I am never going to spine whack it; and even if it is highly unlikely the lock will ever fail, I want it to work as intended.

No.....Just the ones saying that lock failure on some examples isn't a problem. Clearly for folks who are not happy with this, it is indeed a problem. Sure we can all get by with slipjoints or use fixed blades, but many of us buy locking folders with the expectation that they work as intended. I don't see that as at all unreasonable.

I've only had two ZT folders, out of probably 25 or so I'v owned, on which the lock would disengage unintentionally, from a push from my thumb mind you not spine whacks. Sure that is not a high percentage, but I like my fingers intact and my locks to lock, and when I am paying $200 plus for a locking folder, even if I am never going to spine whack it; and even if it is highly unlikely the lock will ever fail, I want it to work as intended.

Alright----my question is, what intended use is a spine whack meant to simulate?

If people were reporting lock failures when cutting/stabbing, I'd be all over this. I just can't see how someone could be alarmed that *Gasp* the lock doesn't stop the blade from shutting if you grasp the knife away from the lockbar and strike the spine. Even in uses outside of my own, I can't imagine any task in which a folding knife would be required to do this.

Alright----my question is, what intended use is a spine whack meant to simulate?

If people were reporting lock failures when cutting/stabbing, I'd be all over this. I just can't see how someone could be alarmed that *Gasp* the lock doesn't stop the blade from shutting if you grasp the knife away from the lockbar and strike the spine. Even in uses outside of my own, I can't imagine any task in which a folding knife would be required to do this.
Stabbing is exactly what I have in mind, as the forces applied to the lock would be similar. Also, working in tight spaces, one might bump the spine on something. It may not be likely, but it is possible. I prescribe to the maxim that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and when it comes to locks, the more prevention the better as far as I'm concerned.

To be fair, the only ZT models I ever had any issue with was the ZT/Emerson collab. I think they made the framelock tension too light in my experience, which allowed for lock-slippage
To be fair, that one zt failed after you batoned and pryed with it until the tip broke. Not a valid complaint.

Who knows what people do with their knives on Instagram and YouTube before they fail. Respected members here I believe. Others? Not so much.

People should just start buying cold steel triad locks if they're so afraid of locks disengaging. I personally don't use my knife hard enough ever for a lock to possibly fail, but I think we need to realize how rudamentary these frame lock/liner locks are. It's literally a piece of metal pryed up against another piece of metal on one slim surface for the convenience of being able to carry a reasonable sized blade in the pocket. Archaic technology, really. With that said, technology has improved enough that the accuracy of these geometries can be done well by any competent company, but us as the end user still have to engage that lock correctly. Even with CRK knives, if you flip the knife open slower than usual the lock bar doesnt engage the same amount as if you flip it open fast, so I dont doubt ZTs may fail depending on how we engage the lock. But in my personal experience ZTs have locked up like vaults for me, but I guess I could have always just gotten lucky.

Stabbing is exactly what I have in mind, as the forces applied to the lock would be similar. Also, working in tight spaces, one might bump the spine on something. It may not be likely, but it is possible. I prescribe to the maxim that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and when it comes to locks, the more prevention the better as far as I'm concerned.

If you're so concerned about bumping the spine closed in a crawl space, why not just carry nothing but a fixed blade?

Notice that they have dropped the “a real beast” etc marketing and now it’s “go bold” (it technically should be “go boldly” but w/e).
There’s a problem with your statement. One side of their packaging box says “Go Bold” and the other side says “A Real Beast”. The “Go Bold” side must have been the side they had facing up in the display cases. I choose to get my information through owning many different brands of knives and forming my own opinions as to their performance. Clearly many here among us watch YouTube videos and listen to others often second hand opinions to form their own.

Last edited:
There’s a problem with your statement and I suspect you must just get your information from browsing the counter display at knife stores instead of anywhere of real value. One side of their packaging box says “Go Bold” and the other side says “A Real Beast”. The last time you were browsing the stores the “Go Bold” side must have been the side they had facing up in the display cases. I choose to get my information through owning many different brands of knives and forming my own opinions as to their performance. Clearly many here among us watch YouTube videos and listen to others often second hand opinions to form their own.

I have several of there boxes, and I kinda agree that they need to drop the real beast marketing. Are they stout knives? Yes. Can they do hard work? Absolutely. However, thanks to companies like Cold Steel who have based a good chunk of their livelihood on beating the hell out of their folders on camera, many people expect a knife costing double or triple to hold up to the same abuse. As I have said, I have made peace with my ZTs locks slipping. I am confident that 99.9% of the time, these knives will hold up to what I need them to. I do wonder why lower end knives can hold up to these tests and many of ZTs cannot. It really matters not. I still carry them. I still buy them. I don't think they are dangerous finger guillotines.

However, just like ALL of these ZT lock threads, the amount of snark on both sides is ridiculous.

I have the 0301, 0550, 0560, 0561, 0566, 0562, and none of them have exhibited any lock failure, nor have had any other problems. Neither have my knives from other quality manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back