• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Little Pink Bricks for you and me!

Cool finds, Curtis!

Despite the hard bonding in the Moldmasters, I'm still under the believe that coarse SiC is a liar, so I ordered a 60 grit 1x1x6 Ruby brick. Gonna shred some Golden, CO and Somewhere, China steel with it. :cool:

Those should be there in the next couple days, as I assume you are talking about my Manix and G-10 Cara Cara. Sounds like they should be trembling in fear before the post man even gets to your door! Thanks again for the help, with my mangled little digits, and all, even my D8XX is tough to use.

Mike

how long do they take to process an order?

Don't rightly know. I called to place my order and the lady called back to suggest priority mail to save me money.

Gunmike1,

Can't wait to get 'em. My first pink brick left some scratchy debris on a friend's special knife ( :eek: ), so it reminded me why diamonds can be so much cooler even when they cut slower.

hardheart,

I never heard from them again... after a few days I wrote to ask the status, and they had already shipped... got them that day. I think it was about a week..... regular UPS.

Thom,

I tried a couple more today... haven't measured yet, but the EDM 120 and Super 120 both show some real promise.

cbw

haven't measured yet, but the EDM 120 and Super 120 both show some real promise.

Sweet! How are you measuring? By time taken? Steel removed per pass at a known angle intersection (such as taking a 16 degree edge and attempting a 14 degree reprofile)?

Don't rightly know. I called to place my order and the lady called back to suggest priority mail to save me money.

Gunmike1,

Can't wait to get 'em. My first pink brick left some scratchy debris on a friend's special knife ( :eek: ), so it reminded me why diamonds can be so much cooler even when they cut slower.

Don't worry about the scratches, since I actually use my knives I expect them to get scratched anyway. Again, thanks for the help in my gimpy times!

Thom,

Sorry I wasn't clear, I was talking stonewear... I've been measuring that with a caliper. I kinda botched my test knife to accurately measure metal removal, so that has been subjective on my part.

I'm definitely going to retest the EDM 120 and Super 120... this first test, they really removed some metal, and only went down .002 and .001 in. respectively. (Again this is only one test on 1 type of metal). Think I got the bugs worked out, so hopefully I can get a better idea of metal removed.

cbw

the corners are really ragged, either don't use them or round them over in the driveway or on a diamond plate

just tried it on one of my little hss blades, raised a burr quickly, and they feel fine on the flats (320)

I should also warn everyone of the catalog that comes with the order. It was easy enough to only click on the web pages of the abrasives and leave it at that. I am now faced with 200 pages of temptation in my lap.

I did not know DMT made flexible diamond hand pads which could be used for convexing, or the 0.008" brass shim loaded with diamond from 325 to 1200 grit.
Tubes of boron carbide, lapping sticks, abrasive holders, handheld belt sanders, 5 diamond compound types, felt strips, a 35 stone set of india/arkansas, norbide stones, loupes,

I think my wallet just screamed.

hh,
My Sharpmaker needs a good, low cost, re-profiler stone set. Are these 320 Ruby stones the answer?

They wobble just a little bit more than the standard SM stones, and are an inch shorter, but they do fit in the slots well enough imo, and they cut well.

Got the 1x1x6 pink brick tonight in 60 grit. Cuts real fast. Doesn't wear as fast as those danged Golden Lobster hones. Leaves scratches where you wish it didn't. Trades S30V in for a pack of smokes.

Thanks for this thread it is very informative. Thom have you tried painters tape on the part you don't want scratched, or does it just clog up the stones.

Thanks for this thread it is very informative. Thom have you tried painters tape on the part you don't want scratched, or does it just clog up the stones.

It was my Manix that he was nice enough to reprofile for me in my injured times, and he asked me whether I was worried about the finish and whether or not I wanted him to tape it off. I said no, as the knife is a user, and it's going to get scratched up with use anyway, so the scratches won't bother me. Hell, I have almost finished reprofiling my Endura Wave flat to the stone on my D8XX, and even that finish doesn't really bother me. As long as it cuts good the scratches don't really bother me.

Micky,

I used to wipe the blade down frequently and gently with a facecloth when I used to use the 120x SiC and 180x AO stones which came with my EdgePro and had no problems. Then, I went diamond-crazy and had no problems again with the coarse hones, but didn't need to wipe as the mess was purely steeldust and not steeldust, abrasive, and water. Visiting the old coarse waterstone channel found me without my sea-legs.

Gunmike1,

Those knives are heading back. You'll either find the hollows left in the Cara Cara to be charmingly rustic or proof of how much I suck. Hopefully, the edges will influence you to choose the former. :o

Gunmike1,

Those knives are heading back. You'll either find the hollows left in the Cara Cara to be charmingly rustic or proof of how much I suck. Hopefully, the edges will influence you to choose the former. :o

Sorry I let this rot and didn't respond sooner, but the hollow is very charmingly rustic on the Byrd! And the Manix looks great, and cuts like a champ. Both are MUCH sharper than factory, and we all know how sharp Spydercos come from the factory. I really thank you for thinning those 2 out, they both are just how I like them, thin, and sharp as hell. You do have a talent for putting an edge on a knife, my friend (not to mention thinning them out)! I owe you big time for helping me out in my time of gimpyness, and for all of your moral support. I nominate you for man of the year.

Anyway, my fingers are mostly healed and I got back to reprofiling my own stuff yesterday. The hollow on the Byrd looks better than the hollow left behind on my Jess Horn ZDP after yesterday's D8XX work to remove all convexing of the edge, as it is actually completely flat on one side now, with only a tiny hollow left on the other side. It really needs Tom Krein's help to have the hollows put back in it (after tax refund time). Not to mention I used the D8XX flat to the stone on my Endura Wave and Cliff Stamp's Byrd Meadowlark, those things have a VERY rustic look to them now. That D8XX cuts like nobody's business, it looks at ZDP-189 and laughs at it. I mean it just smokes anything you put in front of it. I can't thank you enough for talking me into it. Plus, when you leave the D8XX scratch marks behind (call me lazy, but I really don't care about the scratches), people look at you with a look like "THIS guy thinks he can sharpen a knife and claims to be a knife guy? Yeah right!". Then they cut with it and the look on their faces completely changes. They then want me to sharpen all of their knives for them, but as a courtesy and per their request I try to avoid scratching their finishes. As you told me Thom, there is the edge, and the rest is just steel. IMO, as long as the edge is thin and sharp who gives a damn about how the rest of it looks?

Mike

Please excuse my ignorance but I would like to ask a question. I've got a sharpmaker ordered along with a set of UF stones but from what I've read on the forum, I may need another option for really dull blades or reprofiling. The Congress stones are alot cheaper option than the diamond stones you can get for the SM but what grit or grits would I need to get from Congress to make the SM a good all around sharpener? Thanks for the help while I'm trying to figure this stuff out.
Mark

markd85 - I'm in the same boat as you! Rereading this thread, it looks like hardheart got the 1/2 tri x 6 in 320 grit. I have seen in another thread a suggestion to use 320 grit sandpaper wrapped around the included SM stones. So it seems that 320 is next coarser step to go. I've also seen posted that Spyderco confirmed that the included medium stone = 600 (the fine = 1800 and ultrafine 2000.)

Back