1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Locked out on a balcony

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by goson, Jun 2, 2013.

1. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    There's that pride of ownership thing. :p:p:D

2. ebidis

ebidis

Jun 23, 2012
    I keep a SAK in the center console of my car.

I recently locked myself out of my apartment. I have an outer wrought iron security door, and an inner solid wood door. I walked out, shut the wood door behind me, turned the lock on the door knob of the security door and closed it. I reached for my keys to lock the dead bolt on the iron door, and realized I had left them inside. I immediately got a sinking feeling.

The iron door has removable glass pains which are held in by fasteners. I was able to use the multi tool on my belt to jimmy one of the fasteners, creating enough of a gap to reach my fingers in and unlock the door knob. I'm sure I could have used my knife with no damage.

The funny thing is, as I was walking out the door, I had a nagging feeling that I was forgetting something.:D

Moral of the story is, carry a multi tool, or a SAK.;)

3. Popsickle

Popsickle

Jul 25, 2010
    Been there haha! I no longer keep knives i dont use.

This hahahahahahaha!

4. Popsickle

Popsickle

Jul 25, 2010
    I would be getting out :)

5. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    The question of "can I afford to have this lost/stolen/broken?" has a lot to do with my knife purchases.

My threshold is waaaayy below 1k, so for me to buy (and carry) a knife that expensive, it would somehow have to be all but bombroof.

So, yes.

But with the condition that I don't think there is a knife I could convince myself to pay that much for.

"What if" threads always fascinate me, because the answers you get can change drastically, depending on the question.

Just for fun, I would ask:

"Let's say you're locked out on a balcony. What is the most expensive knife you would NOT be afraid of using to get back inside?"

6. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    A situation like this might just sway me toward carrying a BK-2 or ESEE 5. That said, I'd use the $1000 knife cause if I am carrying it, I am willing to use it.

7. davek14

davek14

May 30, 2009
    You have to admit that it would be a great day to have this in your pocket.

[​IMG]

8. whateatsrabbits

whateatsrabbits

Nov 24, 2011
    No problem here...
    [​IMG]

9. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    We have a winner! You just lever the whole door off it's hinges, right?

And more about this chisel ground wonder, if you please?

10. whateatsrabbits

whateatsrabbits

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah or just stab a hole threw it till I can get my hand it to unlock it...
    dwyer SnG cpmD2
    [​IMG]

11. StryCoShaw

StryCoShaw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    damn, what is this?

And if I had a $1k custom folder, i would wait until morning.

12. Surfingringo

Surfingringo Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2013
    Ok, so you have a thousand dollar hat. You have an "accident" at the mall and there is no paper in the stall.......:p

13. Krissig12

Krissig12

Sep 11, 2013
    Some of these responses shock me. In the context of this hypothetical situation, how can one possibly make the argument "if you carry it, you should be prepared to use it"?

If escaping the balcony involved CUTTING something, then this would be a valid argument. But when the situation requires the abuse of your knife, it becomes a totally different matter. Whether or not you are willing to ABUSE your knife to get off of the balcony is the real question here, not whether you are willing to USE it. It is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that someone doesn't use their knives because they won't jimmy locks or pry doors with them. Are those somehow officially required tasks for them now? Is it on some sort of list? Because last time I checked, the only thing knives are meant to do is cut. Anything more is completely up to the individual user whether or not they want to do it, such as breaking into doors when you find yourself locked out on a balcony....

In this situation I would use the lockpick set I keep on my keys, or my multitool, or yell for help. I wouldnt want to damage my blade unless it was a last resort. But even if I WAS fully prepared to abuse my knife to escape the situation, I sure as hell wouldn't be making others feel stupid for not being just as willing.

14. WK ONE

WK ONE

Apr 25, 2015
    Yes sir.

15. Ilovetoolsteel

Ilovetoolsteel

Jul 28, 2003
    Yes but its a tool, why carry what you won't use. You can still be proud of owning it if its at home. If its just so you can idly fondel it consider therapy and if its so you can show it off to others that sounds like pointless vanity.

16. Bludgeon

Bludgeon

Dec 28, 2014
    Yeah, I'd destroy the blade saving myself from exposure, contact local news to do a story on how xxx's blade saved my life so xxx can be proud and replace said destroyed blade free of charge for the publicity.

17. Lottapp

Lottapp

Jan 18, 2015
    Someone pulled the ole "lock you out on the balcony and left" trick? You may have to use the knife, because that trick doesn't include anybody coming back.

18. Converge

Converge

Oct 4, 2014
    I would never have to worry about this because I would never buy a $1000 knife when a $xx-$300 one is just as good, minus the custom factor and the name or initials of the maker on the blade. If I did though, I'd probably just use the knife. I would then take said abused and scratched knife and list it up on blade forums for sale as a war trophy that was taken out of a KGB strong hold by a delta force operator who is my 2nd cousin's once removed friend of a friend. I would list the price at $2000, which is a steal of course. :)

19. SaintZe

SaintZe

Dec 20, 2013
    From the perspective of the situation stipulated by the OP (I'm not going to weasel out of this hypothetical scenario), I'd use the knife to break in, and never look back. Tools are made to be used, and my own comfort is more valuable to me than the condition of my material posessions, no matter the price.

20. Leftytwogunz

Leftytwogunz

Apr 30, 2013
    1. apply camouflage paint in tiger stripe fashion
    2. secure the perimeter
    3. pop chem lights
    4. activate emergency beacon
    5. prepare MRE
    6. hydrate from camel back
    7. strap on knee pads
    8. don multicam mechanix gloves
    9. blame the government/liberals