Looking for a 5" Sharpened Prybar

I know you guys love to recommend knives so here's another chance. I am looking for a sharpened prybar and this is no exxageration. The catch is that the blade can be no longer than 5 inches! I was looking at the Battle Rat and Camp Tramp but unfortunatley they are way to long in the blade. I'm sure if there is a 5" sharpened prybar out there somewhere you guys will know. I prefer a quality manufactured knife over a custom knife that I have to pay $200+ for and also wait forever to receive. Also prefer a drop point, however the most important factor, above all else, is that this knife must accept a scarey sharp edge and be tuff enough to tear down a brick house with! :eek: :)

Hi Brian-

You need to check out some of the stuff from Peter Atwood that would address all your questions. I haven't purchased from him, but he has a great reputation on BladeForums for a long time.

~ Blue Jays ~

Although not as strong as the bug out blade the becker necker is quite well made and small, you could always cord wrap the handle if you wanted to.

There was a Busse Basic 5 on Ebay a few days ago, but it was right at that $200 magic limit you mentioned.

Have you considered a Howling Rat? Cliff Stamp wasn't able to break his.... well, not yet anyway. I seem to remember him chopping the hell out of a river rock with it and hanging his very dense (physically) brother-in-law from it. What the heck, you break it, you get another one! :D

FoxholeAtheist said:
There was a Busse Basic 5 on Ebay a few days ago, but it was right at that $200 magic limit you mentioned.

Have you considered a Howling Rat? Cliff Stamp wasn't able to break his.... well, not yet anyway. I seem to remember him chopping the hell out of a river rock with it and hanging his very dense (physically) brother-in-law from it. What the heck, you break it, you get another one! :D
Well the $200 limit is a "preference" not a requirement. The only "requirements" are that the knife be 5" or less blade length and as close to completely indestructable as possible.

Hi Brian-

Oops, I accidentally missed your "drop point" requirement before I posted. :eek:

In that case, you might want to see what the length is on a Busse Natural Outlaw (BNO), which is slightly shorter than the Busse Steel Heart (BSH), and Busse Battle Mistress (BBM). The length on my combat-grade BSH is about seven inches, so you might be in luck with the BNO...

~ Blue Jays ~

The Fehrman Last Chance has a 5.5" blade of 1/4" CPM-3V. It costs $240 new, but you might find one on the secondary market for less.

The Graham Knives Razel should also be quite durable (1/4" S30V) and you could custom order a 5" version.

the most sharpened prybaresque knife ive handled so far (i dont like completely prybar knives, they have to at least cut) was the busse public defender. even after i sharpened it to shaving sharp (wich took hours of reprofiling on an edgepro apex model), it was still seriously thick. and at only 3/16. its amazin how crappy of a knife you can make when you deside to lower the saber grind. lol... it wasnt that crappy of a knife, it did cut, it just was a very poor cutting performance geometry. hell of a prybar though.

howling rats another great one :)

Busse Badger Attack(ergo or generation 3)
Busse Mean Street
Busse Meaner Street(soon to be hitting the streets)
Busse Public Defender(Jungle Defender might be better for you)
Swamp Rat Howling Rat

Good luck, let us know what you decide

:D:D

The Cold Steel SRK is a lot of bang for the buck, but it has a 6" blade.

Brian,

Get in touch with Justin from Ranger knives www.rangerknives.com

He is a custom maker but according to reports his delivery time is excellent as well as his quality and willingness to make mods to his existing knives. The thread on his RD knives on this forum is worth checking out to read what people think of his stuff.
Also I believe his knives are well under two hundred.

Brian6244 said:
I wish I could get a look at all of these Busse knives but they only show like 4 knives on the website and I cant seem to find them at knifecenter or 1sks either. :( I'll keep looking though.

Try www.badmojo.tv most of the old ones and many of the new ones are pictured there. If you can't find the specific one you are interested in post over on the Busse forum and they'll be able to help.

You could always get a Cold Steel Recon Scout (5/16th" THICK), and have 2.5 inches cut-off of the tip.:D.:D.

The Becker Campanion fits your posted criteria perfectly. I only have one more question: are you willing to carry it? It weighs 15 ounces with the sheath. Oh, one more thing -- if you have small hands you might not like it; the handle is pretty fat.

Cougar Allen said:
The Becker Campanion fits your posted criteria perfectly. I only have one more question: are you willing to carry it? It weighs 15 ounces with the sheath. Oh, one more thing -- if you have small hands you might not like it; the handle is pretty fat.
Yep 15oz is a lot of weight that is true. I've carried a firearm that weighed less! lol This is a good point and something I need to think about. My hand are also not the largest for sure.

Back