Looking for a Med-Heavy use Folder

Lenny

Gold Member
Recently, I purchased 2 smaller folders; Small Sebenza Insingo and Kershaw Dividend which really do it for me as far as unthreatening EDC knives.
I'd like to complement them with a 3.5" blade length folder in the med-heavy use field. Light prying, cutting dense materials, etc. It should have a very comfy handle too. Let's say max price of $225 or so. The only knife that's caught my eye so far is the Spyderco Shaman. I'm not too picky on opening mechanism, lock style, or handle material. I do want a quality piece, however. Good blade steel is a must, but it shouldn't be difficult to sharpen. I'm also not too crazy about super high wear resistance steels. What can you suggest?

Last edited:
Just a bit out of your budget brand new, but maybe on the 2nd hand market you can fall right in where you're comfortable, but either a no frills Spartan Harsey Folder or basic Olamic Wayfarer 247 will do the trick...

A much cheaper pair of workhorse knives just a hair under 3.5 is a Kizlyar Supreme Ute and/or Kershaw Blur

I highly recommend the Spyderco Shaman. I've been thinking of buying it for more than 6 months. What is keeping me from buying it is the belief that Spyderco is going to have a Sprint Run in S90V or CruWear, and not buy the S30V model.

Spyderco's new catalog is or will soon be out. I have not taken a look at it yet. I know that it will be out within 7 days...so if you like that Shaman, and would like it in some fantastic steel:
1) join the Spyderco forums and get in on the Shaman early
2) there is NO "2" I did this and cannot think of anything more important that the Spyderco forums for info on new knives dropping.

Recently, I purchased 2 smaller folders; Small Sebenza Insingo and Kershaw Dividend which really do it for me as far as unthreatening EDC knives.
I'd like to complement them with a 3.5" blade length folder in the med-heavy use field. Light prying, cutting dense materials, etc. It should have a very comfy handle too. Let's say max price of $225 or so. The only knife that's caught my eye so far is the Spyderco Shaman. I'm not too picky on opening mechanism, lock style, or handle material. I do want a quality piece, however. Good blade steel is a must, but it shouldn't be difficult to sharpen. I'm also not too crazy about super high wear resistance steels. What can you suggest?
Sounds like you care about quality.

Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter sounds like a match for what you're looking for.

I was thinking about the American Lawman as an excellent work knife/edc. But the Ultimate Hunter is also a very good choice. Great steel.
Another good work knife is the Griptilian, which may be gotten with a good 154 cm blade or the upgrade with 20 cv steel and g10 handles.
All are very durable . The Lawman and UH are great bargains.

I live in Denver and drove out to Spyderco in Golden earlier in the week. Ended up with a PM2, which fit the need that I had, but I fell in love with the Shaman. Certainly a larger folder, but it felt great in my hand and fit well in my pocket. It will probably replace my current hard-use carry, which is a Kilamanjaro Gear DW Folder, designed by Daniel Winkler.

OK, a little more clarification.
I don't do plastic handles so the Griptilian is out. It just looks and feels cheap.
Cold Steel to me, is a joke of a company, even if they do have the occasional good knife.
And I guess I should take back locks off the table as they are by far my least favorite mechanism.
No offense intended to any Cold Steel fans.
I want the knife to both look and feel special. If I have to spend every bit of my $225 budget, so be it.
So far, the suggestion that intrigues me most is the Pre-owned Olamic 247. But I think I'll have to search for a long time to find one.
Please keep the suggestions coming.

The Massdrop Laconico Keen may still be open. 3.4" blade/ 4mm at spine, full flat grind spear point. Far less than your budget. Cleanest product design I've seen in a while.

CHkPwIG.jpg

XyvmUIK.jpg

EDIT: The drop ends at noon today.

Last edited:
"The drop ends at noon today."
What does this mean?
If I don't buy by noon today, I won't be able to get one?
Totally not familiar with this type of purchasing.

Right. Limited production run. Second actually on this model for Massdrop.

As much as I love Spyderco, I'd shy away from most of them if any prying is a possibility. Many are full flat ground, and while they make excellent cutters, the tips are often thin.
Maybe a Benchmade 908BK-1501. A little over your budget but not terribly so, and the materials are top shelf. A plain 908 would work too if you can find one. There's also the Benchmade 551-1.
ZT has a few offerings to suit your needs. The 0562 being my top recommendation.
Blade HQ has a great search filter system so you can browse many different manufacturers and price ranges within your criteria.

Or...
You can save your money and get that Olamic! That's what I'd do!
9Z9zQUR.jpg

Happy hunting!

Last edited:
Hey all, let's open up blade length to max 3.75".
That should open up the field a bit!

Many Peak with a lock or the Comrade? D2 steel, German made, not Chinese.

Love my ZT 0562...people are always selling them on the exchange here for good prices. It cuts well, is plenty tough and I like the 20v.

Back