Looking for a Med-Heavy use Folder

I just came across the Viper Knives Anso Orso. I realize it's shorter than I wanted, but dang is it a nice knife. I can't decide if I like the Ti or CF version better.
Anybody have one or have any comments on it?

Last edited:
Always liked the Bradley.
Its on my list now.

Last edited:
If you can, track down a Spyderco Gayle Bradley 1. I can't imagine a better hard work knife.

IMG_3976.JPG

Hey rswanson, what are the differences between the 1 and 2?

Hey rswanson, what are the differences between the 1 and 2?
I've never held version 2.0 but there are a good bit of comparison threads on this site and others. I did a lot of reading up before I decided to track down the first iteration. The GB1 is a heavier knife with thicker liners. There was a lot of talk about how stiff the liner lock was and how difficult it was to disengage but that's exactly what I like about the knife. It's stout, for sure.

Version 2 has a little bit more cutting edge and the blade isn't as tall, making it a more elegant design. It also incorporates more of a guard into the handle instead of the finger choil arrangement of version 1. There was some worry about how easily the user might have the hand slide onto the blade with version 1 but I haven't had that worry. I'd rather have my grip closer to the work. The knife is designed for slicing anyway. The leverage when pulling through material combined with the blade shape is fantastic.

Cold Steel Code 4 (your choice spear point, clip point or tanto) in CTS-XHP

Carry mine every day since I got it :)

I like this idea, because I likes me some knuckle-dragger knives. But the Code 4 is still above $300, which makes it really hard to justify.

So far, I think the Freeman 451 is the suggestion that gets closest to the OP's criteria.

I would suggest looking at Extrema Ratio. Some of their stuff is priced right, but their designs are very, very high speed, low drag oper8tor stuff. Not ridiculous, but not the sort of thing you'd take to the neighborhood block party.

I think that, below $250, you're going to have trouble finding something which checks off all the boxes. There is kind of an odd space between $200 and $250, where the blades get bigger, and the steel gets more "super", but it's still a lot of G10 and Titanium liners, like you see in the $160 to $200 category.

As a last option, I'm going take a left turn. Get something real basic, like a Buck 110. Also a 6" prybar. They make 'em, and if you wanted, somebody could make you a really fancy one for probably less than $100. I mean, it's a piece of steel with a blunt chisel grind, and a couple holes for cord wrap.

Finally, get somebody to run off a custom sheath for the knife and the prybar. Not as sexy, but it gets you to where you want to be.....

Given your stated not wanting parameters. I would of suggest what xarso said, I did some over researching for the same reason but wanted a 4" blade and went with a Recon1 in S35VN but I wanted pocket capable (barely but workable). And that one came along near the top I wanted. OH...PRICE as also a major deciding factor for me to note.

Well an OKC Cerberus Folder might fit what you want given your stated parameters. A D2 steel blade and other features.

I second the freeman 451. It comes in either d2 or cpm-s35vn. Button lock is smooth and very solid lockup.
Plus the maker (Jeff Freeman), is a excellent craftsman, and will work with you if you have any issues.
PM2 and ZT560 for comparison.

qA4Gdl7.jpg

OK, thanks for all the suggestions.
A few replies.
Again, Cold Steel is a joke company to me and I wouldn't support Lynn Thompson if he was the only knifemaker on earth. Plus, the Code 4 just doesn't do it for me. (watch Nick Shabazz's review; I agree with everything he says about it)
I already have a Buck 110 custom which I love dearly. Also have a custom sheath for it. I just don't want to belt carry a knife every day. Plus, the 420HC steel is nothing special. Plus deployment is less than ideal. It is a great looking knife, however!
As for the Freeman knife, I'm sure it's a great knife. But I'll admit that I care about "looks" and its appearance just doesn't do it for me. Plus, what the heck is going on with those grooves in the blade? Dumb idea in my mind.
Still looking for some feedback on the Viper Orso.
Also, can anybody comment on the difficulty of sharpening M4 steel as in the Bradley 2?
Keep the suggestions coming please.
This is turning into a really good thread!

Lenny -

I sharpen my good old GB on a Sharpmaker without any special effort. It holds a basic 40 degree edge for a long time so if you just touch it up now and then it will stay very sharp. I think the best thing about the M4 blade is it's toughness. I wipe it down with a little BreakFree CLP after any dirty or damp jobs. I have not noticed any problems on the edge holding up when using it for all kinds of jobs around my shop and yard. I'm not a knife user who doesn't know the difference between a pocket folder and a sledge-&-wedge when splitting wood for the fireplace so I can't speak to extremes of some of the knife use I have seen on BF. Here is some info I found on youtube that may be of interest.

Here is a really techy analysis by Cliff I always liked.

Last edited:
Nice GatorFlash1! Thanks.
Only watched the first video and the edge that guy put on the knife is insane!
I'll watch them all.
I've found the Para 2 in M4 at Knifeworks, so that's in the running now.
I've owned a Para 2 in S30V before and really liked it.
But I also like the Bradley 2.
Any comments that will help me make the decision between the 2?
Which is more comfy in the hand?
Which is more "hard use"?
I'm still a little confused on the proud liners of the Bradley 2.
Some say it's very comfy, some say it's annoying and uncomfortable.
Any help on this decision is appreciated.
Thanks

I will second the recommendation for the ZT0562. If you look you can find the CF model used for $160-$170 in M390/204P/20CV depending on the year it was produced and that should check all your boxes.

As was mentioned before the PM2, and many Spyderco knives for that matter, are great slicers but not suitable for prying as the blades tend to be ground very thin with delicate tips. The Gayle Bradley is an exception and would do pretty much anything you ask of it. M4 is not stainless so keep in mind that you have to take some care to keep it in top condition.

The Viper Vox Fortis is another option to consider. Titanium frame lock flipper in M390 that is a really robust design with a very versatile blade shape. It has gotten mixed reviews but mine functions well and is a lot of knife for the money especially on the secondary market.

One last option to consider is the Benchmade Presidio 2. It is a big, heavy, over built knife that could definitely take a lot of abuse. I’m not sure if the styling speaks to you but it is a great candidate for a hard use knife and while not as exciting as some other steels available the S30V performs well and is relatively easy to maintain.

Good luck with the search.

Last edited:
Nice GatorFlash1! Thanks.
Only watched the first video and the edge that guy put on the knife is insane!
I'll watch them all.
I've found the Para 2 in M4 at Knifeworks, so that's in the running now.
I've owned a Para 2 in S30V before and really liked it.
But I also like the Bradley 2.
Any comments that will help me make the decision between the 2?
Which is more comfy in the hand?
Which is more "hard use"?
I'm still a little confused on the proud liners of the Bradley 2.
Some say it's very comfy, some say it's annoying and uncomfortable.
Any help on this decision is appreciated.
Thanks
I

I edc the GB1 and have handled a GB2. I would be very happy with either one. The #2 is 1/2 inch longer and maybe a little slimmer/lighter but would be my choice if I didn't already have a GB1. Liners seem fine on both knives.

Keep your eyes on the exchange here... one just sold a little over a week ago for $290

There's one right jow with some nice file work posted for $335, so not "way" over budget persay.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/st-nick-pm3-olamic-wayfarer-247.1620711/#post-18534227

Oh man, that's tempting. But I really have trouble spending that much $ on a knife. It's not that I can't afford it, it's just the principle of the thing. If somebody can convincingly tell me that the Olamic is actually BETTER than either the Viper or Bradley 2 (which are my front runners right now) I wouldn't have a problem spending the extra $. The manufacturing tolerances on the Olamic are probably tighter than on the other 2, but does that really translate into better in hand performance. If you can't already tell, I'm really wrestling with this decision. All input is appreciated right now.
Thanks

Back