Looking for a Med-Heavy use Folder

I love my GB2 but the lock isn’t my favourite to close. Actually, one of my least favourites. Amazing knife besides that and many love the lock. I would recommend handling one before buying.

I love my GB2 but the lock isn’t my favourite to close. Actually, one of my least favourites. Amazing knife besides that and many love the lock. I would recommend handling one before buying.

Yeah, that's one of the major negatives about this knife from pretty much every review I've read. How simple do you think it'd be to take a Dremel to it without messing up the scales?

Yeah, that's one of the major negatives about this knife from pretty much every review I've read. How simple do you think it'd be to take a Dremel to it without messing up the scales?
I personally wouldn’t do it as I would prolly screw it up, but I don’t use mine every day so the lock might loosen up a bit over time.

I play bass and the side on my thumb is pretty calloused. Still a bit of a pain to open. I am just nitpicking though but it does bug some.

I don't know if I can add much to this conversation but I would grab my Adamas for hard use. Might be a little long for your preference...3.82. I prefer the axis lock as well. Might be a little too "tactical" than what you are looking for also. Good luck on your search!

Thanks for the input SharpieB.
I suppose I could order one from Blade HQ and return it if it bugs me.
Everyone says they have a great return policy.

Thanks for the input SharpieB.
I suppose I could order one from Blade HQ and return it if it bugs me.
Everyone says they have a great return policy.
Definately. They are great to deal with. I have had great luck with them and I live in Canada.

I mean, "better" at some point becomes very subjective. All mentioned are solid choices, but personal preference also holds a lot of weight in carrying a knife.

I will say, hypothetically "if" you bought an Olamic 247, (with file work), at say, $335, simply because one is actually currently available, and then decided that you didn't love it after handling, you could more then likely still resell and/or trade it for a viper or sypdie GB no problem, and possibly even trade + to get close to most of the extra cost back.....

If you do love it though, then.... well, then you wound up with an Olamic at a reasonably fair price?

It's almost like you can't lose...

FWIW I was super close to buying that exact Olamic, but in browsing the web realized a feather etched David Boye "winged" lockback in BDS (not BDC) was available, and opted to jump on that one instead for a wee bit more, (which is en route as I type this and I am super excited), and there just simply wasn't enough room in my budget to buy both...

If it's still available in a couple weeks though, then without a doubt it will be mine, lol

Last edited:
I did this very thing to a GB2 I had. Completely disassembled it and only removed material from the presentation liner at the point where you release the lock, nesting it behind the scale. Left the scale alone. It helped a lot.

danthaman1980 danthaman1980 , any way you could post a pic of it?

Last edited:
If you want a work knife and like the particulars of the Spyderco design, I'll state it again...get a Gayle Bradley. The PM2 has just too delicate of a tip. I haven't used the Bradley version 2 but I think all the nit-picks about proud liners and difficult locks is simply whinging on. I've never really thought twice about any of these so-called shortcomings. In fact, those features are conscious design choices to make the knife more work-friendly.

As for the M4 steel, I find it to be easy to put a working edge on. I'm not an officianado like many on Bladeforums but it's sure easier to sharpen in my opinion than CPM 3V or even S30V. I'd say it's similar to the CRK S35Vn so you should be familiar. M4 is a great choice for a heavy use working knife. Good luck with the decision!

OK, decision made.
After watching ApostleP's review of the Bradley 2, I ordered one from Blade HQ.
Also contacted Rob to thank him and alert him that I'll be sending the knife to him for one of his
famous edges and spa treatment. I think his prices are very reasonable considering the care he takes in sharpening.
Any of you used his service?
About how long does it take?
Anyway, I might still buy the Viper some day, but I think I'll be very happy with the Bradley 2.
Thanks for all your input in this decision.

I did this very thing to a GB2 I had. Completely disassembled it and only removed material from the presentation liner at the point where you release the lock, nesting it behind the scale. Left the scale alone. It helped a lot.

danthaman1980 danthaman1980 , any way you could post a pic of it?

b2G2Iuk.jpg

mLmw0Ui.jpg

blades&wrenches blades&wrenches did a fantastic job with this mod, IMO.

Last edited:
OK all, I just got my Bradley 2.
Wow! I expected to like it, but I didn't expect to absolutely love it!
This is one of the nicest knives I've ever seen or held.
The proud liners don't bother me at all, in fact, they really help provide a secure grip on the handle.
Ergos are the best I've ever felt.
And it came SCREAMIN' SHARP!
The "difficult" to unlock liner lock isn't as bad as some have led me to believe and definitely lends a feeling of confidence in the lock. The one thing I didn't expect, though, was how nice the knife looks. That CF laminate is gorgeous! It shimmers in the light. And the texturing is just right. The liners are nicely polished and look great against the black handle. Finally, the blade is something to behold! The shape, and mix of horiz and vert satin finish is killer. Spyderco and Gayle Bradley hit it out of the park with this one. I no longer want to carry my small Sebanza, but will out in public as it's less "scary" than the Spyderco. The only thing I'd change is the clip. I'd rather have a "deeper" carry clip for it. Where do I go to find one that will fit this knife?
Thank you everyone who contributed to this thread, specially those of you who recommended the Bradley 2. :)
Now, I gotta go find stuff to cut.

Back