1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Lost my baby. Losing my mind!

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Colog, May 28, 2012.

1. dflores

dflores Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2011
    If you have small children i would check their room or outside their room. They might have thrown it out scared that they will be in trouble. I know when i lost my parents junk i would get scared but i hid it somewhere they could find it so i wouldnt get blamed :p

2. Colog

Colog

Dec 2, 2005
    I have literally done a full prison cell shake down of both my children's rooms. They are 14 and 15. They also have some nice knives. Negative results on the searches. They are still suspects though.

3. meanoldbobber

meanoldbobber

Mar 22, 2011
    put up a reward.....

4. snowman23

snowman23

May 21, 2012
    If it's any consolation I had a knife go missing for literally 5+ years....eventually found it accidentally digging deep in a couch looking while for a tv remote. Speaking of which, if you haven't looked there...

5. Colog

Colog

Dec 2, 2005
    I have 2 lazboy reclining chairs and a lazboy reclining couch in my living room. I have systematically taken the backs of each piece and searched them thoroughly. Still not ruling the furniture out tho. Those chairs have all kinds of hiding places.

6. DrDrifter

DrDrifter

Jul 27, 2006
    Lost my large micarta on a subway platform bench (I reckon) over 5 years ago. I found the large was just a bit longer than the depth of my pocket, it kept popping out just past the top pocket clip notch. One day it popped out all the way.

My small is the perfect size for me, never has popped out yet.

I'm willing to bet the person who found it has no idea what they actually got. For free, ugh.

7. Colog

Colog

Dec 2, 2005
    How true. I once asked a friend how much he thought my large unique Damascus was worth. He shrugged and said, I dunno, 30 bucks. I almost stabbed him. With a vicious verbal commentary on the value of fine cutlery, not the knife.

8. TLR

TLR

Oct 5, 1998
    My wedding band went missing and I caught all kinds of heck from my wife over how irresponsible I was. I do have a bad habit of taking my ring off and spinning it... I blame it on my ADD :)

Long story short over a year and a half later after replacing it and moving over 1000 miles I was cleaning the crevices o our couch and the vac sucked up one of my wife's socks from the depths of the couch. Inside was my ring! Looks like she was sorting socks on the coffe table from the couch and somehow picked up my ring in a sock and it slid down inside the couch.

It was a good victory :)

Don't give up looking.

9. Colog

Colog

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks for the story TLR, I won't give up.

10. feathers73

feathers73

Dec 26, 2008
    Well you know from physics that matter cannot be created or destroyed. So it's somewhere. So take a hour or so and clear your mind. Then retrace your steps. As you do this write down what you think of and then search. You have to put the anguish out of your mind and concentrate with your eyes closed. Don't give up.

11. feathers73

feathers73

Dec 26, 2008
    Another thought. The sebenza has a great clip. Some event somewhat out of the ordinary had to force it out of your pocket. Try to think of any such event that may have done that. Something had to pull up on the clip and lift it out of your pants or you used it and laid it down.

12. Colog

Colog

Dec 2, 2005
    Feathers, I have thought of everything. I have retraced all my steps. Still can't find the knife.

13. gundude73

gundude73

Oct 6, 2009
    Have you checked under your bed? In shoes? Jacket pockets?

14. LeonardShelby

LeonardShelby

Mar 25, 2011
    check all your pants/shorts

15. Mike V

Mike V

Mar 7, 2011
    I know the feeling.

Previous places I have found a lost Sebenza was down the back of the couch and on the floor of my son's room.
    Must have slid out of my pocket, when I was down on the floor playing.

I can't offer any help, but when I am looking for lost things I keep in the back of my mind that the lost item is somewhere it shouldn't be.
    If it was somewhere obvious, then you would have found it already.
    So yeah, check the weird places.

It was in your house, it has to be there.
    You searched the trash, so it has to still be in your house somewhere.
    It will turn up.

16. RiverRat84

RiverRat84

Sep 21, 2011
    I've lost a spacer of one of my Sebenzas while cleaning it(little bugger), it turned up on the frame of my bed...and I didn't clean the Seb on my bed.

It'll turn up, probably when your doing something non search related.

17. beau007

beau007

Dec 10, 2009
    Keep the faith! I am REALLY hoping for a happy ending!

18. coelacanth

coelacanth

Jan 19, 2011
    I really hope for a happy ending as well.

And now if I can find my Pelikan M320 limited edition fountain pen I misplaced 1.5 years ago....

19. Colog

Colog

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks for all the positive thoughts. Knife is still lost tho. I'll be sure to let everyone know when I find it. Which I will!

20. hewhoisiam

hewhoisiam

Apr 21, 2011
    Okay, this is totally not how I pictured my first post in the CRK section to be... I was here to do a little research. BUT, hopefully I can tell you this story and it will help you out.

My EDC is a Spyderco Endura 4 in ZDP-189. I love this thing. So, my story begins that I've gotten off work and swapped into work clothes to go up into the attic. It's hot, I'm irritated, I can't get done what I need done (running 12 romex to some new outlets, huge pain) I get done (not finished, done) hop out of the attic. Go shower all the insulation and just nastiness off maself. Next day, getting ready for work, can't find my knife. I take one of my others, thinking that it'll turn up. I get home from work and start looking.

Now, here's where we have some similarity. I retrace my steps, the last time I had it. Did I move it when I put on work clothes? Etc, etc, etc. I finally decide that I MUST have had it pulled out of my pocket up in the attic. So, I go back up. I spend over an hour looking at the attic, trying to see where I've dropped it. No luck. Annoyed and defeated, I go to shower the filth off myself. I open my bathroom drawer to get out the toe nail clippers, because trimming toe nails happens on a whim for me. And there's my knife. In a flashback I remember tossing it in there when I took my shower the day before.

2 important things in this bit: first, I shot myself in the foot by going 'IT HAS TO BE IN THE ATTIC!' Because it wasn't. And after I found it, I know it wasn't. And second: retracing your footsteps is never as accurate as re-acting the day/event. Our tiny monkey brain takes a lot of short cuts along the way when we're doing stuff. We tend to glance over the actual details and when pressed for the 'what did you do when...' answer, we tend to make up what we 'would' do if we were doing it again, right now.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet if you go and polish another knife, and cut an apple. You'll find your knife. I bet it's on the shelf where you keep your cleaning gear. Or where you keep your paper towels. Or in your vegetable crisper where you keep your apples. Could be under the mail if you do it on the kitchen table. Or on the floor it you knocked it off your workbench.

Hope this helps, best of luck.