Made in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.Mattson

Platinum Member
Hi this is my first post here, I’ve been reading posts here for a little less then a year and I finally have a question that I haven’t been able to find a good answer in a previous thread.

Like I’m sure virtually every other person on theses boards I carry knives every day I use them at work and I use them at home. The knives I carry are really only limited by being able to carry them comfortably in the pockets I have (and making sure I don’t let my cell phone share a pocket with a knife…I had a bad experience…funny how fast a new screen can get scratched…).

In any case I like to carry a small folder in the change pocket of my jeans. When I use it its generally for light tasks. In the past I’ve had a Buck 503 prince. However since its really only used for some of my lighter cutting tasks its really not important for the knife in that pocket to have locking blades and I really like small, classic looking, multi-blade folders. The one I have now is the Buck 373 its small, sharp, and with its 3 blades very versatile.

My problem though is this. The 373 is made in china. What I would like to know form people who’ve been dealing with these knives for far longer then I have is: first how long has it been since these were made in the USA, second is there really any noticeable difference in the craftsmanship and quality of the knife made in China vs. the one made in America? Third if there is a difference is it worth it for me to either try to find an older model? Though since it would be a knife I would use I’ve been a bit afraid to get a used knife for that and have even looked for my small classic looking, American made, multi-blade folder and even found one. A Case knife at my local outdoors store. Beautiful knife however while the Buck 373 cost me $15 this knife cost just over $50. So again is it worth spending over 3 times more for the American made knife?

As I said above I haven’t been using this type of knife for very long, and badly need input from someone wiser then I (not that it takes much to be wiser then me).

Just to add to the basic question... Does "Made in USA" mean just assembled here by an outfit that has NO GREEN card individuals working while REAL Americans wish they could...

For J. Mattson:

The import slpijoints started in 2005.

In my experience, they are very well made, and probably the better imported slipjoints on the market today.

Buck still makes domestic slipjoints as well, the 303 model is the American made cousin on your 373. Readily available at several retail chains for about $30.00.

My advice would be to just carry and use the 373 you have, at least for awhile and see if you like it. I've carried and used one of the larger 371 Stockman imports and have had no trouble at all with it.

For missionary5155:

When Buck puts "Made in USA" on a knife, it was made here in the USA. You will not find a sweatshop full of illegal undocumented workers at Buck.

Pack Rat

Gold Member
Welcome to the Buck forum Mattson:thumbup:

In addition to the three bladed 303, the slightly smaller two bladed 309 is easy to carry, or the really tiny 305 two blade is really easy to carry.

Another sleeper small pocket knife is a 170 liner locker. Some of those have clips, some don't.

At the recent 20 year collectors club event, Buck indicated that they intend to bring the 300 series back to the USA for domestic production since they have recently purchased automated machinery that will allow them to make them competively right here at home. :thumbup:

At the recent 20 year collectors club event, Buck indicated that they intend to bring the 300 series back to the USA for domestic production since they have recently purchased automated machinery that will allow them to make them competively right here at home. :thumbup:

Kewl, thanks for the info. I'll hold off on buying a PRC and get the USA.

My problem though is this. The 373 is made in china. What I would like to know form people who’ve been dealing with these knives for far longer then I have is: first how long has it been since these were made in the USA, second is there really any noticeable difference in the craftsmanship and quality of the knife made in China vs. the one made in America? Third if there is a difference is it worth it for me to either try to find an older model? Though since it would be a knife I would use I’ve been a bit afraid to get a used knife for that and have even looked for my small classic looking, American made, multi-blade folder and even found one.

For me, it'd be a no-brainer - I'd upgrade to Buck's U.S.-made 303 (or larger 301) stockman. Check 'em out here.

Just to be clear, you mean the wood handled ones like they make in China now (373 etc.) ?

Rocinante

Banned
Boycott!!!!!

at The Recent 20 Year Collectors Club Event, Buck Indicated That They Intend To Bring The 300 Series Back To The Usa For Domestic Production Since They Have Recently Purchased Automated Machinery That Will Allow Them To Make Them Competively Right Here At Home.

Boycott!!!

I will not buy!!

That automated equipment takes jobs away from AMERICAN WORKING MEN AND WOMEN!!!!

(And Chinese, too.)

WILL this insane attack on working people never end???????!!!

:D

Now that is very impressive news! How often have you heard of a US company taking back production from China? I don't own any Buck slips just yet, but I see a good number in the future. :thumbup:

Rocinante

Banned
Duh!

The jobs are still lost.

Does a worker care who or what he's replaced by?

He's out of a job either way........automation or Chinese.

:jerkit:

Duh!

The jobs are still lost.

Does a worker care who or what he's replaced by?

He's out of a job either way........automation or Chinese.

:jerkit:
Somebody has to run the machine Rocinante. Better we have one person here running the machine then not. Automation has been occurring since the start of the industrial revolution. Better that than just throw our hands up in the air and let all the manufacturing go overseas. :rolleyes:

Somebody has to run the machine Rocinante. Better we have one person here running the machine then not. Automation has been occurring since the start of the industrial revolution. Better that than just throw our hands up in the air and let all the manufacturing go overseas. :rolleyes:

Mike, I'm almost certain you know this and are just being nice, but just in case, for future reference; to instruct or teach, the instructee or student must have a certain level of cognitive ability to be a recipient of such a lesson as the one you put forth. Otherwise, you are just wasting your time.

That's awesome news about bringing production back to the US.:thumbup::thumbup:

What steel is the 373 Trio in? I picked one up recently and the package says 440c. The sticker on the package says 6/17/08 and the blade itself has the up arrow for 2008. The website says 420hc, which is what I thought it was. :confused:

Mike, I'm almost certain you know this and are just being nice, but just in case, for future reference; to instruct or teach, the instructee or student must have a certain level of cognitive ability to be a recipient of such a lesson as the one you put forth. Otherwise, you are just wasting your time.
You are absolutely correct. I was commenting for the masses! ;)

That's awesome news about bringing production back to the US.:thumbup::thumbup:

What steel is the 373 Trio in? I picked one up recently and the package says 440c. The sticker on the package says 6/17/08 and the blade itself has the up arrow for 2008. The website says 420hc, which is what I thought it was. :confused:

I may be wrong but I believe the 300 series are 420HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.