"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

Here are pictures of perhaps my favourite small gents lobster, marked I*XL GEORGE WOSTENHOLM, SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND C 1920-25 measuring 3 1/4" carbon blades, this very fine knife is quite unusual as it's a "fancy sleeveboard" ?, the side profile of the knife is delicately pinched three times, front to back, the shaped broad nail file, snaps strongly, picker and tweezers inserts under the lovely ivory scales, a super thing.

DSC03459-1-1.jpg

DSC03453-2.jpg

DSC03454-1.jpg

DSC03456-1.jpg

DSC03458-1.jpg

Thanks for looking...Mick

So, Ken, when are you going to start making that pattern? You should be able to whip one out in short order! It really shows the skill of those old cutlers.

Mick,

It's tough to beat ivory for a handle material. It certainly appeals to me.

Jim Taylor.

Delighted with the upbeat comments on the ivory Wosty lobster guys :thumbup:, such a sweet little thing. I guess the "fancy sleeveboard" pattern was not very popular ?, hence not many made ?.

Jim, agree, antique knives with ivory scales do look attractive.

Here's another gents lobster, again marked I*XL GEORGE WOSTENHOLM, SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND C 1925 measuring 3 1/4" closed, carbon blades. This nr mint 6 pc knife has a spey blade (alongside the spear point master), very odd ? , lovely pearl scales, high quality.

This 6pc Wostenholm was popular, seen a few, one or two of which were marked inside the liners with the cutlers makers mark and year date (flower-25) (1925)
DSC03273-1.jpg

DSC03270-1.jpg

Mick

Spey blade?? Cattleman's Lobster?? Just kidding!! :D

A beauty once again, Mick. Nice sleeveboard, in wonderful condition. I sure look forward to your posts!

Charlie

Wellington,

I am curious to know if these knives were the "customs" of it's day or normal mass productions. They certainly have that high level of workmanship for a custom kinfe. However, I just can't imagine people in 1800 paying a week of wages for one those beauties.

God Bless

I am curious to know if these knives were the "customs" of it's day or normal mass productions. They certainly have that high level of workmanship for a custom kinfe. However, I just can't imagine people in 1800 paying a week of wages for one those beauties.

Hi Kidwholaughs, all the knives shown throughout this thread, with the exception of the Nicholson sportsmans, have been made in batches, a cutler making a number of identical knives at the same time (usual Sheffield way).

Help me out though, what is the blade that has the tear drop shape on the end of it, is it a punch of some sort?

Yes it's a fancy manicure file/blade , as lambertiana suggests, very heavy and snappy.

Mick

Ahhh haww, so the tear drop part is for cleaning under the finger nails.

Thanks!

This thread is up there with a lot of the books I cherish on Sheffield knives.

Thank you everyone. Especially wellington.

Had to hobble to my books and thumb through Sheffield Exhibition Knives and some others.

If I had to answer the posed question of the title, it would be a resounding yes. Even with the expertise, skill and care many custom makers apply in their work, the Sheffield era was the golden age.

This thread is up there with a lot of the books I cherish on Sheffield knives.

Thank you everyone. Especially wellington.

Yep, this thread has been wonderful!

Mick (wellington) has been incredible with his unending series of awesome knives.:thumbup:

Had to hobble to my books and thumb through Sheffield Exhibition Knives and some others.

If I had to answer the posed question of the title, it would be a resounding yes. Even with the expertise, skill and care many custom makers apply in their work, the Sheffield era was the golden age.

I agree, and every time I go to a knife show, I hope to find a dealer or two selling these babies. The craftsmanship is astounding.

That Sheffield Exhibition Knives is one of the best books that I have.

Wellington, thank you for your posts--you are a great person to have on these forums.

Thanks for the kind words guys :eek:

Now I know many BF members have copies of the Sheffield Exhibition Knife Book, I'm feeling a little inadequate too :D. What can one say about the SEKB ?, chapters written by Bill Adams, Jim Taylor and Mr Levine, Hugh Brock's notes describing the old pocketknife manufacturing processes, pictures and details of some of the finest exhibition knives ever made, many by Rodgers and Wostenholm (just look at those two cover knives !!). (My top pick would have to be that gorgeous JR Wharncliffe whittler on pg 87, exquisite !). Surely one of the best knife books ever printed ?.

Here's a simple two bladed penknife, tangs marked FORD & MEDLEY, SHEFFIELD, 3 1/2" closed, C 1900 ? horn scales.

llk.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Mick

Simple? Simply GORGEOUS! That knife is mahhhhhvelous! What is the handle material?

Back