1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Magpul is getting into the knife game with their new, limited Rigger

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Spark, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2016
  2. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    You would think that a company whose claim to fame is modestly priced polymer accessories would come up with a knife in a similar genre. A molded polymer handle and moderate blade steel folder of high quality on the cheap would have sold like hot cakes to all the operators.

3. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    Someone needs to show them the proper way to grind those.

4. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2016
    The Honey Badger came to mind.

Huntnow likes this.
  5. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    My thoughts exactly. There is some serious dissonance with their product line. It’s way inconsistent.

I was expecting something much more like a competitor to the Delica, or Boker Plus USA, etc...

6. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    That is a really good point.

7. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2018
    Welcome to the "Rigger to" 101 frosh intro course. Pay your frosh intro tuition now and get ready for the soph course fees later on. Line up, kids.

8. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Exactly. I remember Magpul when they were a company offering well designed, useful products at an affordable price.
    Seems they are getting high on their own supply... $500 really? And who is making these for them?
    In no way Magpul is Wilson Combat.

Quiet likes this.
  9. Ruzster

Ruzster

May 7, 2001
    MagPul's blade intro is weak.

10. bubbaskyjacker

bubbaskyjacker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2008
    I like the blade , not for 500$ though.

11. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I’d like to see more “hard use” knives using a well tuned pb washer pivot rather than bearings. A good pb washer action can be excellent flppers when done right.

I just feel like “hard use” knives with ball bearings kind of don’t know what they want to be.

12. jason41987

jason41987

May 9, 2012
    Yeah, watch a Magpul Chris Costa video. It's hard to take Magpul seriously when they try to make themselves the king of tacticool. What makes this guy even more of a doofus is the addition of a forward pistol grip to his rifle... that he never uses. Some people in the gun community really suck this stuff up and buy anything with the Magpul tag on it. They'll probably sell a few of their ridiculously priced knives, not to me though.

13. jason41987

jason41987

May 9, 2012
    Not even knowing what you consider to be hard use, I would have to agree. Bearings are fine if you want an ultra smooth action, great for flippers, but a hard use knife should be built to take abuse, and be more durable. Smooth deployment isn't a requirement in any "hard use" situation that I can think of.

Born200yrs2late likes this.
  14. Hrimnir

Hrimnir Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    I must be out of the loop cus I literally can't stand that knife, visually speaking. I love Magpul too. I'm just so freaking over the "tacticool" folders.

115Italian likes this.
  15. Born200yrs2late

Born200yrs2late Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Also......these clowns are coming out the gate poised to compete with Chris Reeve and Hinderer. Its insulting to see that price tag without a well deserved reputation.

Quiet, WValtakis, 115Italian and 2 others like this.
  16. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    $500!!!! What a steal! USD too!!
    Secondary locks are my least favorite "unnecessary additions for coolness". Although maybe that knife needs a secondary lock for good reason. If I am going to "hard use" a knife that runs on bearings, Id probably need it to have that secondary lock.
    That being said, its an ok looking knife. Not my cup of tea...and does look like a chicken. Its on the boring side for me. I agree, if it came in around the $200 mark...they would sell a lot.

Also, anyone know who is actually manufacturing this knife?
    Food for thought...if it was a well known USA knife company or maker making this knife for magpul, would our opinions be different? Mine wouldnt change. Or maybe...hmmm...naw. $500!

Lapedog likes this.
  17. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    [​IMG]
    Don't be so hard on the poor little Magpul, guys.

For $500 I would buy a CRK or a custom fixed blade from one our fine forumite friends. Something I know is either worth the $500 or could be counted on to save my bacon.

18. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    It looks like it has the same lock do dad that the Survive F1 has so maybe it's a Millit also

19. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 27, 2005
    That must be an a amazingly good foam-lined case that comes with that knife if they're charging $500 for it.

20. Bluearcflash

Bluearcflash Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2014
    I’m more picturing a new, unfired $3000 AR that will stay that way until it gets sold(still unfired) in 2-3 years.