• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Mailing Knives

I recently purchased two knives from an online retailer. I got shipping notices this morning, followed by an email from the vendor saying that instead of mailing two different knives, they had inadvertently mailed two of the same knife. Initially they asked me to refuse one package (gave me a specific shipping number—if they’re the same I’m not certain why it would matter). Since I don’t actually think I’ll have the opportunity to refuse—most deliveries of this kind don’t require a signature, I replied asking for a prepaid postage label. In reply, the vendor asked me to do him a favor to save time—would I just forward the knife to a different customer—he’d give me the address and notify the customer, he said, plus when he mailed the other knife I’d ordered he’d include a bonus (a small coin knife).

Has anyone else run into this? I’m not sure what to do. I don’t care about the coin knife, but I don’t mind helping the guy out. But A) he didn’t say he’d give me a postage-paid shipping label, just the address—I still want him to pay postage, AND I want the return address to be his, so it goes back to him if for some reason the package can’t be delivered. And B) I’m not sure it would be wise to forward an unopened package from a guy I don’t know to another person I don’t know, who lives God knows where. If the knife is going out of country, there may be legal problems with doing this, and I don’t want to get caught up in that. And, again, I don’t know this guy—what if what’s in the package isn’t the knife, but some other thing that might be contraband? (I suppose I could resolve the problem by opening the package to make sure I know what I’m mailing, but that could open the door to claims I broke the knife or something.)

Am I being too suspicious and nit-picky, or should I just tell the guy I’m not comfortable with this?

One last thing: the company I bought the knife from is fairly new and doesn’t have a BBB profile—but it is a subsidiary of (or related to) another company that sells other EDC stuff, and THAT company has an F rating with the BBB. I didn’t know about the connection until after I placed the knife order or I might have thought twice. OTOH, the knife company itself has 140 eBay ratings, 100% positive, and while I don’t see a seller rating on Amazon, their knives all have 4 and 5 star ratings.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Sound advice already, which was just confirming what you had already felt was right. Your scenario is so convoluted as to be ridiculous but the seller is probably trying to help everyone out and in 'their mind' they see it all happening flawlessly ;)
which never seems to happen. A while back I had ordered one item, later that same night...late nite browsing yet again....and order another knife from the same place. I emailed them saying 'hey, can you combine the two orders to help save you on boxing and shipping? Me trying to be thoughtful :) they replied "thanks man!" and then proceeded to ship two boxes out. Just too much to try and keep track of so it was just easier for them to keep moving forward and ship two separate boxes one for each order.

So, long story short, call them up, and I wouldn't try the sending to the next guy at all, just too full of hazards that haven't happened yet.
G2

I'd open both packages, inspect both knives, and keep the best one for myself. They're both addressed to you so that's not an issue. Nothing wrong with opening packages that are addressed to you. Besides, how can you know for sure that the vendor shipped the wrong knife unless you actually check for yourself. Sounds like there's some confusion on the vendors end. What if it turned out that he shipped you the right knives after all.

And I wouldn't worry about being accused of damaging the duplicate knife if you open the package. There's no way whatsoever that the vendor can prove that you opened it. It's not at all uncommon for packages to get damaged and re-taped during shipping. Besides, there's NO WAY I'm taking a package to the Post Office without first knowing what's inside.

Whether or not to hold onto the duplicate knife and not ship it out, either back to the vendor, or forward to the other customer, until after you receive your full order can be a tough call. I don't know how I'd feel holding the duplicate knife "hostage" until I received the rest of my order. I'd have to be the one dealing with the situation directly to make that call. One things for sure, there's no way I would pay to ship it anywhere. And there's no way I would ship it if my name or address were used as the origin address, or if I had to fill out any paperwork to ship it.

Stating the obvious here, but if you forward the package, make sure the shipping label with your info on it is REMOVED. Not just covered by the new label, or blacked out with a marker. REMOVE your info, including the tracking number and bar code.

Welcome to Bladeforums Thumbsup. It would be nice of you if you could come back when all of this gets resolved and update this thread with what happened.

Last edited:
I sell a lot of stuff on a few different e-commerce sites, and I can’t imagine asking a customer to do all that. This whole situation sounds absolutely ridiculous. If I were you I’d insist he accept a return, and I would probably no longer do business with him.

Just my $0.02.

I’d send everything back and ask for a refund unless I just couldn’t live without the knife. Too much liability from different angles.

What if the person you ship the knife to turned out to be a 12 year old and took it to school and cut somebody up with it? First question would be “well, how did they get that weapon?”… I bet mr. Vendor would say you shipped it to them.

I'd open both packages, inspect both knives, and keep the best one for myself. They're both addressed to you so that's not an issue. Nothing wrong with opening packages that are addressed to you. Besides, how can you know for sure that the vendor shipped the wrong knife unless you actually check for yourself. Sounds like there's some confusion on the vendors end. What if it turned out that he shipped you the right knives after all.

And I wouldn't worry about being accused of damaging the duplicate knife if you open the package. There's no way whatsoever that the vendor can prove that you opened it. It's not at all uncommon for packages to get damaged and re-taped during shipping. Besides, there's NO WAY I'm taking a package to the Post Office without first knowing what's inside.

Whether or not to hold onto the duplicate knife and not ship it out, either back to the vendor, or forward to the other customer, until after you receive your full order can be a tough call. I don't know how I'd feel holding the duplicate knife "hostage" until I received the rest of my order. I'd have to be the one dealing with the situation directly to make that call. One things for sure, there's no way I would pay to ship it anywhere. And there's no way I would ship it if my name or address were used as the origin address, or if I had to fill out any paperwork to ship it.

Stating the obvious here, but if you forward the package, make sure the shipping label with your info on it is REMOVED. Not just covered by the new label, or blacked out with a marker. REMOVE your info, including the tracking number and bar code.

Welcome to Bladeforums Thumbsup. It would be nice of you if you could come back when all of this gets resolved and update this thread with what happened.
There is lots of good advice in this post ^ - in particular. And in the others too 👍 What if you were shipping to a minor? :rolleyes: I like the idea of opening the packages - checking out the contents and selecting the best of the 2 for yourself. Then re-pack the 2nd and mail it back on the vendor's dime. New box - new label for all that.

What if the person you ship the knife to turned out to be a 12 year old and took it to school and cut somebody up with it? First question would be “well, how did they get that weapon?”… I bet mr. Vendor would say you shipped it to them.
This is the first thing that I thought, even though I don't think it's likely.
Just like I'd never watch a stranger's bags at the airport, I'd never ship knives for a seller.

Seems too convoluted and wishful to be a scheme, but most certainly open that up and make sure it is what he says it is before you send it.

I would open the packages to see what was shipped, if any of the order is correct. I wouldn’t send anything back without a prepaid label since it was a vendor error. I wouldn’t get involved in fowarding anything to another “customer” in case you need dispute a charge, it needs to show it was returned to the vendor imho

Sounds very flaky . If you forward the knife you may become responsible. I wouldn't even want to be responsible for the knife making it back to the vender, on their mistake. I would send it back, but the vendor should pay the insurance in case of loss.

Thanks, all. I know my what if’s are unlikely, but as you guys pointed out, ultimately by shipping it forward to the next guy I’m taking some responsibility for it and I’m not sure I want that. Add to that, if I were on the receiving end, I’m not sure how comfortable I’d be knowing some random stranger now has my address and knows I collect knives.

I don’t think I’ll return both knives, though. The one that is for sure coming is newly on the market, and so far nobody else is selling it. Since they do have an amazon shop I’m guessing I could eventually get it there, but since it’s already going to show up in my mailbox, and I’ve already paid for it, I think I’ll keep it unless there’s something wrong with it (it looks pretty well-made on the review I saw from Beez Blades). I hope I get the other one as well—love that one too—but if I don’t I’ll insist on a refund. I paid thru PayPal, and I think they can help me out with that if need be.

I really appreciate your feedback.

Who else is going to be watching Metal Complex’s live giveaway tonight???

I would hold the extra knife until the other knife arrives. Then I’d send the knife back to the vendor with a prepaid mailing slip or a credit for the shipping cost.
If you forward the extra knife before you get your second knife that you paid for, you may not get your knife.
I’ve had a wrong knife sent to me once, the seller credited the shipping costs and sent the correct knife before I returned the wrong one he sent me. It happened several years ago and the seller was good to deal with.

Thanks, all. I know my what if’s are unlikely, but as you guys pointed out, ultimately by shipping it forward to the next guy I’m taking some responsibility for it and I’m not sure I want that. Add to that, if I were on the receiving end, I’m not sure how comfortable I’d be knowing some random stranger now has my address and knows I collect knives.
I was thinking the same thing.
What he's asking you to do is unprofessional, and possibly risky.

Yeah, it’s really lowbrow. I’d play along and help the poor guy out but I know I’m a sucker and don’t mind being a schmuck for a few bucks to help another poor schmuck out.

I don’t think I’ll return both knives, though. The one that is for sure coming is newly on the market, and so far nobody else is selling it. Since they do have an amazon shop I’m guessing I could eventually get it there, but since it’s already going to show up in my mailbox, and I’ve already paid for it, I think I’ll keep it unless there’s something wrong with it (it looks pretty well-made on the review I saw from Beez Blades). I hope I get the other one as well—love that one too—but if I don’t I’ll insist on a refund. I paid thru PayPal, and I think they can help me out with that if need be.

I really appreciate your feedback.

Who else is going to be watching Metal Complex’s live giveaway tonight???
I'd open the packages and keep what you ordered, provided it is in the condition you expect. If the seller made an error and sent the wrong item, it is on them to provide return shipping. When they provide return shipping, send back any items you did not order.

All of this is made so much easier if you used paypal G&S. If push comes to shove, paypal will have your back on returning things not as described (the wrong item), including return shipping.

I would politely decline to do any sort of forwarding for this seller and make a mental note to never buy from them again, unless you are okay with getting a knife forwarded to you from some random person. What a joke.

If you open the package then you've got to pay postage for the return. Easiest thing (if you're in the U.S.) is to cross out your address and write "Return to Sender" on the package. Drop it off at the post office or a mailbox and you're done. If you are in a position where you can catch your postman when he delivers, he can handle it all for you.

Back