Makers: Post pics of your knives.

You don't forge your own? Lightweight. Brad is a good guy and stands by his steel. I tell people that Alabama Damascus is the lowest priced stuff that I would generally buy. Would I use it? No, but that is because I am not a wimpy Canuck and I make my own. :D
I too like the black pins. I’ve been using them quite a bit lately. I’ve been curious about the Alabama Damascus. I’ve heard good and bad things about it. Based on steels used, it should perform well.

I want to get some Devin Thomas Damascus myself, but it’s so expensive, for justifiable reasons though.

You don't forge your own? Lightweight. Brad is a good guy and stands by his steel. I tell people that Alabama Damascus is the lowest priced stuff that I would generally buy. Would I use it? No, but that is because I am not a wimpy Canuck and I make my own. :D

My life keeps getting in the way of my press. Each week I keep saying, “this week, I’m getting it done!” Then my wife totals the truck, or the reapite kid falls apart. No different than anyone else I guess.

Harbeer that is a winner for sure!
Warren I have a little kitchen prep in Alabama I made probably 2 years ago for our kitchen and it's a nice little slicer. Doesn't hold and edge forever but easily resharpens. I still keep it as an option for customers who want Damascus but can't afford the higher cost of other makers Damascus.

Hello all. Y'alls pics look good and inspiring, keep it up please!
I haven't been posting here in the past year, so here's the kitchen knives I've done:
A steak knife finished in May (1095/15N20)
fDVgWt1.jpg

A santoku finished in August with 5 layers O1/15N20/mild steel
4hr0QrG.jpg

2 garasukis finished in October (1095/15N20)
7m7K8Vo.jpg

DBsIaH7.jpg

2Uwz8NZ.jpg

A boning knife (1095/15N20) and cheese knife (O1/15N20) finished in December
dC10ZHo.jpg

fcsNnqg.jpg

Jb8vhY9.jpg

BwIfIvM.jpg

as always
peace and love
billyO

Last edited:
well, not finished stuff but i am pretty proud of the way these are looking already...this is my next batch of stainless customs headed to Peters. There is one vtoku2 blade in there too.
I feel like I really have the profiles dialed in at this point and am excited to finish these:)
EQL3HcV.jpg

Nice set there Tim, what hardness are you going for? I've used Nitro V and XHP at 62 and have been happy.

Hello again, all. I guess a good thing about being unemployed is it allows me to spend a bit more time in the shop, and here's the most recent finished (well, except for the final edge).

Both 1095/15N20 with ~7 1/2" blade lengths. The top one is 1 7/8" at the heel.

kMVbzgP.jpg

Thanks for looking.
~billyO

Hi guys,
Here are two recently almost finished integrals, they need sharpening and the small one need makers mark.
Fun feature on the first one is that makers mark are integrated in the pattern, it was an experiment almost successful, have to work a bit more on that on the next blade :rolleyes:
Hope you like it :)
IMG_1293.jpg IMG_1294.jpg IMG_1300.jpg

This was a vintage 10” sabatier knife. I worked on this last year to learn kitchen knives and made a sculpted handle for it. I reprofiled the blade again down to 8.5” and made the tip thin. I radiused the heavy choil which allows a close up pinch grip.

XAJETKo.jpg

5XXYGIG.jpg

It's been a while since I have posted, but looking forward to contributing on a more regular basis. This is a 155mm tall petty made of 52100, hardened to 62HRc. The handle is bias cut royal palm with buffalo horn and nickel-silver spacers. The saya is also royal palm with a hand turned nickel-silver pin.

0tc29cp.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Here is a matched set, a 240mm gyuto and a 150mm petty. Both are made of 52100 treated to 62HRC. The handles are dyed and stabilized Oregon maple burl with a ferrule and endcap made of black buffalo horn and nickel-silver spacers. The sayas are figured claro walnut with hand turned and knurled nickel-silver pins.

SqH3a85.jpg

This is a 180mm funayuki made and designed for one of our BF members. The steel is 52100 hardened to 62HRC. The blade has a nice distal taper and is quite thin behind the edge. The handle is Oregon black oak burl with accents of 3,400 yr old bog oak, mastodon ivory,honey buffalo horn, and nickel-silver.

t7OHV4c.jpg

Back