Man-eaters of Tsavo

Rusty

Started reading the book Ghosts of Tsavo by Phillip Caputo. (Adventure Press, National Geographic, Washington D.C. ISBN 0-7922-6362-6 First Printing June 2002.)

You may have seen the 1996 movie The Ghost and the Darkness or heard of the original book by Col. John H. Patterson Man-eaters of Tsavo. It's evidently still in print, and recollects his 9 months tracking down the two lions who reportedly killed over 130 people in 1898. Either way, the lions of the Tsavo in Kenya have been and continue to be maneaters. Caputo's book updates the story to the here and now.

I got as far last night before I turned out the lights as:

Caputo's in the Tsavo, with a party of 4 including his wife, with 2 guides, and 2 Kenyan Wildlife Rangers armed with H&K G-3(?) 7.62 NATO rifles for a total of 8 altogether, the first night's camp's been pitched, and he's just been told to keep the tent zipped up during the night to keep the lions out if they come into the camp!

He does have his trusty Ka-bar he brought back from Vietnam ( he's 57 ) and he's heard stories of the Masai Morani killing lions with spears and knives. Now he's trying to decide if a lion attacks should he fight it with his Ka-bar or just fall on it and save the lion the trouble.

Excellent writer - he couldn't have ratchetted up the tension any further if he were writing fiction instead of fact. I'm now two thirds finished, and he's still got me on the edge of my seat.

Now the question you all knew was coming. If you were in his place, which knife would you want next to your sleeping bag? ( Hee hee hee! No fair choosing a yataghan bayonet on the end of your .577 Snider Martini either! )

I, too, really enjoyed the film and Patterson's book. While working in Chicago earlier this year, I took a whirlwind tour of the Field Museum. I quickly glanced at Sue, the largest T-Rex skeleton unearthed, but wanted to see one exhibit in the very limited time there ( 1 Hr.).

I took a good number of pics, and called my dad on my cell phone to tell him about the exhibit since he was interested in the Tsavo lions.
I bought myself and my dad the Museum's reproduction booklet originally published in 1925 when the museum bought the skulls and hides from Patterson. The taxidermists had to recreate the lions on a smaller scale from the hides because the hides were trimmed and not full size.

All in all it was really neat, and if your in the neighborhood check it out (along with Frank Lloyd Wright's house and many other designed houses and buildings). Let me know if any forumites are planning to go to the Chicago area, and I'll tell you where to get the greatest Hot dogs and steaks on the Planet!

To answer your Question, Rusty, I'd want Peter Capstick wired up on espresso with a (yes, Chris!)20mm GE minigun next to my sleeping bag...
(I'd sleep with ear plugs in, of course)
or a .416 Rigby and a Redhawk .454 in a bandolier type holster.

BTW The H&K G-3 is the fully automatic version of the model 91 .308

-Craig

If it has to be sharp and pointy I'd go with a German boar spear. Cold Steel have started making them, though I'd want a bigger cross bar.

If not one of them, something along the lines of a double edged sword or rapier. Something with enough length to keep me as far away from the action as possible, but with maximum penetration. Sir Richard Burton had a soft spot for the rapier, and that is enough recommendation for me.

I love my khukri's, but I have no intention of trading slashes with a lion!

I read Caputo's book about his experience in Nam. I think it was called A Rumor of War. He is a good writer if it is the same guy. Is this new book fiction or true? I think I would want a big fast sirupati or GB or chitlangi with me if I was in that boat.

If a lion were trying to get in to my tent? I'd have to go with a 12 ga with slugs, my 44 automag and my 45 super as backup. I have a 25" Sirupati but "there ain't gonna be no bayonet fighting as long as there is ammo in the clip" I figure I'd have about a 70/30 chance...I've been married. One more note, break a front shoulder before you go for the kill. Big animals tend not to die as quickly as we would like.
I would also like to point out the minigun would just be to cumbersome in a tent :)
Time permitting I plan on going on a photo shoot but don't plan on shooting anything. I think it would be fun to go and see the animals in their natural habitat.

If it has to be sharp and pointy I'd go with a German boar spear. Cold Steel have started making them, though I'd want a bigger cross bar.

I'm with Michael. I'd want something long and sharp to keep me away from those claws and teeth! However, I'd like to have my Cherokee Rose out of the scabbard and within easy reach in case the lion got around my spear---its heavy enough to inflict wicked slash wounds, but that point in something to reckon with when it comes to stabbing as well! Plus the guard might keep my hand from sliding off the handle while stabbing into the lion;)

Terrifying to really consider it in any case.

I saw the movie and would love to read the book as well. Thanks Rusty:)

EDIT: After watching one of those ubiquitous shark shows on cable, I would like to add that I'd be wearing one of those "chain-mail" shark suits while I slept as well. If it'll keep Tiger sharks from tearing you up it ought to help with lions.

Of coure a spiked dog collar might help to keep them from clamping down on the old windpipe and strangling you to death so they can peel you out of the shark suit at their leisure:D

CHITLANGI will do me with one proviso, i am allowed to sleep in full suit of armour.[i dont think lions carry can openers] he he :D :eek:

...A lugged A&A war spear! Or, if it must be under a foot in length, A speznaz projectile-knife. Those'll shoot thru an oak door!

I'd also want some metal body armor, and a gorget for neck protection, since they kill by suffocation mostly.

And a signal flare, those magnesiun road flares, because most animals can sense that ultra-hot bright things are a contrivance of man, and should be avoided. Works for bears, too!

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

If I were to look to what I currently have it would have to be either the 21" GS or maybe the Malla. Probably the Malla, with it's more extreme curve and pointier end it would be a better penetrator.

But I would rather have my 45/70 loaded up with Garret 540gr +p Hammerheads! ;)

Bobwhite: it's the same guy. Rumors of war is on the list of his previous books.

Note that Kenya has outlawed hunting and strictly limits access to it's National Parks. They were on a special research permit that allowed them to go offroad. Hence the armed KWS Rangers to protect them. And as one of the guides observed, "If one of us was to leave the group and walk back to camp alone, he probably wouldn't make it."

Caputo is a hunter, who talks of Ruark and Capstick, and bristles at the notion hunters don't care every bit as much about the wildlife as the treehuggers.

In this case, though, he's accompanying zoological expeditions trying to determine why some of Tsavo's males are maneless, 25% larger ( 400-500 pounds rather than 300-400 pounds; stand up to 4 feet at the shoulders, and up to ten feet long ) and have smaller skulls 13" x 8" vs. 15" x 10"; and the males of Tsavo hunt. Could they be a link to the lions of antiquity? A separate subspecies of lion?

Two-thirds of the way through his book now, and if this weren't a library copy it would go on my bookshelf next to Ruark and Capstick when I've finished. Should finish it today and then will take it back to the library and look for his other books.

Rusty, have you read "Maneaters of Kumaon" by Jim Corbett? He's written some other good stuff, too.

Originally posted by BruiseLeee
Phase plasma rifle in the 40 watt range. :)

Bruise, you forgot the "UZI 9mm....12 guage autoloader....45 longslide with laser sighting"

I love that movie!!!! :D

Sounds like a winner Rusty. I am going to the library to look for it as well as some of those others you mentioned. I am looking for some new reading material. I am for the time being tired of science fiction, horror and thrillers. Some real life stuff sounds like the ticket, thanks.

Bruise, you crack me up.

Bruise, why do I get this image of you as Humpty-Dumpty's twin brother? ;) :D :D

PS: Chris, I have the Uzi and a combatized 8 shot Remington 1100 but no 45 longslide. Guess I'll have to make do with a 41 mag and a dozen or so speedloaders. Or better yet, my FN autoloader with 175 grain 7x57 ball.

I don't fancy fighting a lion, I'd try and play dead!
I agree with Uncle Bill, the books by Jim Corbett are fantastic
(especially "The Man Eating Leopard Of Rudrapryag"). I read three of his books in just over a week. Thanks for the info on this book it will be on my shopping list.

Back