Man-eaters of Tsavo

My 7.5" khukuri would be just fine...

...but I'd be sleeping in a surplus military armoured personnel carrier. :D

Me, I wouldn't mind a lightsaber (and, of course, Natalie Portman in this fancy white dress):D :D :D

I'd be perfectly safe in this situation with only a small pair of scissors and my brother....while he's getting eaten I'd slit the tent up the back and run like hell.....
If I didn't have my brother with me I'd put a saucer of milk down for the lion, and give him a small furry mouse to play with.

Jeff.

Originally posted by Cuttin' Craig
I, too, really enjoyed the film and Patterson's book. While working in Chicago earlier this year, I took a whirlwind tour of the Field Museum. I quickly glanced at Sue, the largest T-Rex skeleton unearthed, but wanted to see one exhibit in the very limited time there ( 1 Hr.).

I took a good number of pics, and called my dad on my cell phone to tell him about the exhibit since he was interested in the Tsavo lions.
I bought myself and my dad the Museum's reproduction booklet originally published in 1925 when the museum bought the skulls and hides from Patterson. The taxidermists had to recreate the lions on a smaller scale from the hides because the hides were trimmed and not full size.

All in all it was really neat, and if your in the neighborhood check it out (along with Frank Lloyd Wright's house and many other designed houses and buildings). Let me know if any forumites are planning to go to the Chicago area, and I'll tell you where to get the greatest Hot dogs and steaks on the Planet!

To answer your Question, Rusty, I'd want Peter Capstick wired up on espresso with a (yes, Chris!)20mm GE minigun next to my sleeping bag...
(I'd sleep with ear plugs in, of course)
or a .416 Rigby and a Redhawk .454 in a bandolier type holster.

BTW The H&K G-3 is the fully automatic version of the model 91 .308

-Craig

Hey Craig, glad you enjoyed the exhibit. I always found the exhibit somewhat disappointing - I guess I've always expected them to be bigger. The exhibit hasn't weathered the years to well, either.

Forumites should make an effort to check out the art museum in Chicago as well. There's an entire room of swords, polearms and armor that I seldom get out of. I here there's some paintings and stuff, too ;)

So Craig,

So as a longtime (30 year plus) Chicagoan, I gotta know where you found the best hot dogs and steaks on the planet. Could be a sirupati vs AK discussion brewing here!

Pat

...within the confines of your own tent:

1) Make sure you tent is well lit, has a solid perimitter alarm, and is large enough to accommodate a full three ring circus. If it's smaller than that, you will not have enough time to do anything.

2) It helps if your will is fully updated and you have a good deathwish (since you are probably going to get it).

3) Yes, you should have a good knife or sword at your side. Lions are endangered species and one of those sharp pointy things in its' gizzard will help its' digestion (of you and others).

my approach would be very straight forward:

Just surround your tent with a full ring of claymore mines (yes - pointed outward. :rolleyes:

n2s

Pat, How wuz I ta know you wuz frum Chic-a-go?!? :D

We had a project in the Stockyards at Otto & Sons, Inc. Installing an updated Industrial Wastewater system.

The Best Hot Dogs extant: Right outside the gates of the stockyard,On the Corner of Pershing and Morgan, is the Best Kosher foods plant. They have a walk through lunch counter
They sell their 1/4# dogs (or Polish) with Sweet relish, Dill Pickle spear, Onions, Ketchup, Mustard,and Tabasco Peppers. It's on a roll roughly the size of a hoagie bun. You can get two dogs, Jay's chips, and a Pepsi for $5. Oi, it was wonnerful!!!! Needless to say we ate their all the time. It's best hot dog status is hard to debate.

The Best steak: In South Holland, on 163rd and Wallace, is Gino's Steakhouse ("Where Steak is King"). We went there because we saw a sign advertising it five blocks over. Started with a Johnny Walker Black Rusty Nail, French onion soup, 12 0z Filet Medium Rare with broiled roquefort, Baked potato, hard bread with cheese spread, and a nice Napa Cabernet that my boss picked out ( He's a wine buff). That was our first visit. Went back several more times. It was the best steak I've ever eaten. If we had that place in Atlanta, There would be riots!

The Best Steak may be debatable. Jerry, Engineering lead at the plant kept talking about "Craples" for steak. Never had the chance to check 'em out.

As Far as Dogs Go we went to Polk and Western, and, of Course, Portillos because it was near our Hotel in Tinley Park.

As to the Raggedy Lions: Yeah they are a little rough around the edges, but still exceedingly cool. The one skull with the shot off "Tusk" was no in the exhibit for repairs.

Please share your 30 years of insider dining and sightseeing info. My 6 work laden weeks didn't really allow thorough exploration. I Did tour the Robie House on three different occasions, Though

-Craig

Originally posted by not2sharp
...within the confines of your own tent:

1) Make sure you tent is well lit, has a solid perimitter alarm, and is large enough to accommodate a full three ring circus. If it's smaller than that, you will not have enough time to do anything.

2) It helps if your will is fully updated and you have a good deathwish (since you are probably going to get it).

3) Yes, you should have a good knife or sword at your side. Lions are endangered species and one of those sharp pointy things in its' gizzard will help its' digestion (of you and others).

my approach would be very straight forward:

Just surround your tent with a full ring of claymore mines (yes - pointed outward. :rolleyes:

n2s

More sterling advice.

When you do a bit of research into the physical capabilities of a tiger, you realise that Ron Ely really would have had to have been a Man of Bronze to have survived one of his typical Saturday morning encounters with one of these big cats, ( now dont go and tell me you don't know who Ron Ely is...http://www.biography.com/cgi-bin/frameit.cgi?p= http://www.biography.com/magazine/biomag/ronely.html )

Can't argue with Best Kosher being a fine dog! Irving's is a northside places that serves a good dog (it's the place for red hots!). Likewise Toots, which is a little northwest side hot dog shack. Portillo's isn't bad, either. Rather a large chain, but they seem to do OK. OK, I'm a hot dog snob :)

I was never a big steak fan, so I'll opt out on that one. Pizza, now there I can make a few recommendations. Gino's east (downtown) makes a fine pie. Hmmm. I've always been partial to Pete's for thin crust, but I gew up in the neighborhood, so they were probably the first pizza I ever had. Lou Malnati's is also a decent pizza, for a chain :) Pizzeria Uno is highly respected, but not my favorite. Giordanos, also good, though a chain as well. Never cared for Connie's. Edwardo's - a favorite of mine - as good as Gino's if not better. Leona's is also good. Lots of the small places are good, too.

Man, I'm getting hungry!

OK, the whirlwind tour. Unfortunately, not alot of knife related stuff to do. Hmm. Spend a day in the Lincoln Park and Old Town neighborhoods. Good restaurants, terrible parking - take the L (that's the elevated train). DePaul university is nearby, so there's lots of small, odd shops for the college kids. Also the smaller of the city's zoos. Downtown - Field Museum, Science and Industry, Alder Planetarium, and the Art Museum. Skip the Blues Fest, Jazz Fest, and Taste of Chicago, unless you like crowds. I mean really like crowds. Walk the lakefront instead. I like to start at North Avenue Beach and go south (where the rich folk live :)) Pass Garfield Park to see the Fountains, that'll put you up near the museums again (it's a long walk, though).

There's a Frank Lloyd Wright tour, but it only runs for a few weeks. Go figure. You can see lots of his buildings by just driving around Oak Park anyway. University of Chicago and Northwestern's campuses are worth a visit - nice for a stroll.

Drive north along Lake Shore Drive (LSD) to Sheridan Road and follow that up north to the ritsy suburbs. Probably the best drive within 50 miles of the city, and it would be sweet on a motorcycle! The Chicago Botanic Gardens are up that way and worth a visit in the spring and summer.

So let's see. 5 days or so downtown, acoupla two-three days in the 'burbs, that's a week for ya! T'row in a ballgame at Wrigley Field to watch the cubbies lose, mebbe some beers and raggae at the Wild Hare and Singing Armadillo bar on Clark. Check out some of the restaurants along Clark, too. Oh, almost forgot the Beer Palace - 120 beers from around the world, all on tap.

Now I remember why I never get to everything I want to do when I visit home! And I haven't mentioned live music or theater yet!

Pat

Originally posted by Rusty
In this case, though, he's accompanying zoological expeditions trying to determine why some of Tsavo's males are maneless, 25% larger ( 400-500 pounds rather than 300-400 pounds; stand up to 4 feet at the shoulders, and up to ten feet long ) and have smaller skulls 13" x 8" vs. 15" x 10"; and the males of Tsavo hunt. Could they be a link to the lions of antiquity? A separate subspecies of lion?
There is pretty good evidence from paleontologists that some ancient cat species specialized in eating primates.

At some point in our lives, we have all felt "irrational" fears, like the creepy feeling of looking into a dark basement, uneasiness about what might be under the bed, or uncomfortableness about a closet door that is open a crack and dark inside. I think that these are deep-seated, primal survival instincts that are telling us to be careful, or something big and nasty is going to come out and eat us. Besides lions, there were dozens and dozens of large carnivorous mammals could have done in our ancestors.

Anyway, very interesting thread.

Along with all the other books here, I'd highly recommend: "Jungle Man: An Autobiography of Major P.J. Pretorius".

One of the most amazing books on African Big-game hunting I've ever read.

seem an odd combination, but....

I grew up on the South Side, then school and adult life on the North Side. North has more food, better eating opportunities, and less parking (EVERYONE has two cars!)

Do not miss lower Wacker Drive, under the Wrigley Building, across from the Tribune Tower. Lovely walk, and you can reward yourself with a Billy Goats' double cheeseburger, chips and a beer. It used to be a printers bar/restaurant when Chicago had four daily newspapers (quick quiz: Name the four papers). It has lines that go on forever at noon as the young professionals line up for the great experience and good grease. Neat inside, if you go other times... old clippings, Royko columns and some history of Billy Goat Sianis.

Then do something else for a while, and head up to Wrigleyville, near Cubs park. See what developers and too much yuppie money can do to a really neat old neighborhood. Fun shops though. South on Sheffield, about a block and a half is the "HAMBURGER KING" a greasy spoon, as yet un-rehabilitated. It was started by Nisei family years ago and although sold has maintained it's flavor, and has some of the great americanized urban food. Yetcamein, Aktagawa, rice with brown gravy, and real, honest, little bite to the taste, cafe coffee. If you need to go to the john, you have to walk through the kitchen, past, or around the cooks. GREAT place. People in there with suits, hard-hats, gang colors and starving actors.

Now, the lion in the tent. Not sure, but I'd imagine the lion would want to be out of there as much as I would want him to be gone. I think I'd lie still and perspire. Either that, or cut the tent and fall on the floor and let him leave. It's unlikely he'd want to stop for a snack, and if you didn't present an annoyance or a threat to him, I think you might make it.

Kis
:rolleyes:

tarsier:

Caputo points some of these things out in his book. Excellent information, good fleshing out of the history of the area, and finally, true horror stories that rival the best horror fiction and films in the business.

One lioness picked on a local bar that stayed open after midnight. Last count she'd harvested 13 drunks. Another lion referred to as "Meals on Wheels" prefered bicyclists.

Wow!:eek: Pat & Kis! Thanks for the to do & see list! Nutin' beats tawkin' to da Natives! Man that gives me a lot more to see & do.

When I was up dere (sorry;) ) I did experience Gino's east and wrote on the wall, Bought a couple of t-shirts, and was amazed to be overly full after two slices! What a great Pizza! Where I grew up, Miami, Cozzoli's was it for Pizza. NY style thin and lots of Garlic, so Gino's was definitely a change of pace. Dang, I'm hungry.

I did get myself in trouble with the Mrs. while up in the Windy City..My Wife is a huge Frank LLoyd Wright fan. Prior to my trip(s), I could have cared less. After touring the Robie House, On the University of Chicago campus,I was a convert. If you've never seen the man's work first hand, It is very well thought out. Anywho, I called my wife while standing in Frank's front yard in Oak Park. She forgave me after she made me promise her to take her there sometime. So as you can see, I do have a trip to make in the future (If I know what's good for me).

BTW...If you're ever in Tampa, Fla. and are longing for a good Chicago Dog, Don't miss Mel's Hot Dogs ( Vienna Beef) on Busch Blvd. They blow away Portillo's. I guess I'm a hot dog snob too, Pat.

-Craig

If I had to stop a lion entering my tent, I'd want my Romanian AK-47, preferably after outfitting it with a Hellfire-type trigger enhancement, 75 round drum mag, and a muzzlebrake (so the bullets will go where I want them to).

"Keep the change, you filthy animal." ;)

Bob

Originally posted by Rusty
If you were in his place, which knife would you want next to your sleeping bag? ( Hee hee hee! No fair choosing a yataghan bayonet on the end of your .577 Snider Martini either! )

For me it would have to be the UBE. It's like wielding a 19" feather that can remove limbs.

The Marlin .45-70 wouldn't be a bad thing to have either.

(edited for spelling)

How does one get any sleep when maneating lions are out and about your canvas tent? Man, I wouldn't feel safe unless I had two shotguns loaded with magnum slugs, a Glock chambered in 10mm as a sidearm, plenty of ammo, and a gas powered chainsaw by my side.

And even then I wouldn't sleep.

The way you talk of the dimensions of the cat, tall in the front shoulder and heavier than normal. Sounds a bit like the body of the Saber Toothed Lion. Hasn't been around in quite some time. A few thousand years without looking it up. They just refered to those as the Sabered Toothed Cat if I remember correctly.:)

scar.jpg

"which knife would you want next to your sleeping bag?"

Well hmmmm, let's see, I could use a nice, fancy HI Kothimoda or Silver Dhankuta to further my collection -thanks for asking :D Almost had a Durba made Garud Ang Khola once ...Feathers and fur went everywhere mind you ...thought I was fighting a badger with a death wish. Turns out it was some d@mn strange little black duck that just would not give it up! Gheeeeeeez

Back