Matthew Caldwell "1-6" Tan

nozh2002

BANNED
I got one from Bill - VintageKnives - very impressive knife!

Caldwell-1-6-007.jpg

It is modern american style - full tang micarta handles. But what differs it from another knives like this exteremely comfortable 3D handle - it is full scale 3D, not like little wider here little wider there, in result it has most solid and secure feeling in my hands then any other production knives.

Caldwell-1-6-008.jpg

Tang is completely covered with micarta - guard and butt really widen and so you have full control over knife and feel protected same time.

Caldwell-1-6-009.jpg

It has pretty solid powerful blade. Steel is old good 154CM which I value over CPM S30V and consider it as a top. Blade is 5.75"x1.5"x1/4" - 58-59HRC - 12.4 oz

Caldwell-1-6-010.jpg

Handle is Tan Canvas Micarta very 3-dimentional. Screwed to the tang with 2 scews.

Caldwell-1-6-011.jpg

Only cons I have is poor sharpness out of the box - 140 g on my thread test. However edge is pretty thin may be even thinner then on Microtech, so it should not be a problem to sharpen it to hair splitting sharpness, I think I'll do it this evening and report results.

Caldwell-1-6-012.jpg

It came with Spec-Ops sheath:

Caldwell-1-6-006.jpg

As I understand this is first production, so I am looking forward for more knives from Matthew Caldwell & Co. I really like one I have. I hope they will do some runs with G10 and different steels.

Thanks, Vassili.

That's quite a knife you got yourself, Vassili. Congratulations!

Simple, big, thick drop point. Beautiful. Looks like a "do it all" knife.

Enjoy it!

Thanks!

And here it is with KaBar, so you may see ho wbig it is:

Caldwell-1-6-005.jpg

Thanks, Vassili.

I was able to sharpen it to the hair splitting sharpness without any troubles. It has very thin edge and so sharpening is just a pleasure. And it take it pretty well also.

Here it is with Badger Attack:

Caldwell-1-6-013.jpg

Thanks, Vassili.

Do they have a website or anything? Where could I aquire one of those?

oops saw its from vintage, so I suppose these are no longer made.

Where is the balance point on your new knife?

Balance point right on guard.

I am not sure are they making it or not, because as I understand it is first production run or something, probably second production suppose to follow. Vintage do not have them in stock, but they may have new - call them.

I will let "Caldwell & Co" know them about this thread and may be they replay directly.

Thanks, Vassili.

Nice pics Vassili. I don't have a website, or take very good pictures, so vintageknives and edcknives have been my main outlets for the 1-6. We started our company with this knife in June of last year. We limited production to 150 pieces, with no intention of doing a second run. We've moved on to our Model 1-4, but we still have a few 1-6's kicking around the shop, if anyone's interested. We've got plenty of other models in the works, too.
Thanks, Matt Caldwell -M.D.Caldwell & Co. (425)334-6659 mdcaldwellco@msn.com

We limited production to 150 pieces, with no intention of doing a second run. We've moved on to our Model 1-4, but we still have a few 1-6's kicking around the shop, if anyone's interested. We've got plenty of other models in the works, too.

Good to see you on the Forums, Matt, and WELCOME!

Check out the Customs section when you get a chance, and say hi to your dad for me.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson, High Hat Knives

Nice pics Vassili. I don't have a website, or take very good pictures, so vintageknives and edcknives have been my main outlets for the 1-6. We started our company with this knife in June of last year. We limited production to 150 pieces, with no intention of doing a second run. We've moved on to our Model 1-4, but we still have a few 1-6's kicking around the shop, if anyone's interested. We've got plenty of other models in the works, too.

Thanks, for joining us and welcome to the Forum.

And thanks for the great knives.

I just got another one and will post some pictures probably tomorrow. I guess I got the last 1-6 from Bill. I really like this knife size is perfect for me, I hope you'll have some other runs. But I am looking forward to see more knives from you, just keep us in touch.

Thanks, Vassili.

Here it is - last VintageKnife M.D.Caldwell & Co 1-6:

Caldwell-1-6b-001.jpg

Caldwell-1-6b-002.jpg

Caldwell-1-6b-003.jpg

Caldwell-1-6b-004.jpg

And with the Tan one:

Caldwell-1-6-018.jpg

Caldwell-1-6-019.jpg

Caldwell-1-6-020.jpg

Caldwell-1-6-021.jpg

Caldwell-1-6-022.jpg

Thanks, Vassili.

"I was able to sharpen it to the hair splitting sharpness without any troubles. It has very thin edge and so sharpening is just a pleasure. And it take it pretty well also.

Thanks, Vassili"

Vassili,

If you don't mind me asking, how or what did you use to sharpen the MD Caldwell? It does not sound like it took much, to get the hair splitting sharpness you were looking for. Thanks for the great pics and info. I just ordered the Model 1-4, partially based on your post.

-Anthony

"I was able to sharpen it to the hair splitting sharpness without any troubles. It has very thin edge and so sharpening is just a pleasure. And it take it pretty well also.

Thanks, Vassili"

Vassili,

If you don't mind me asking, how or what did you use to sharpen the MD Caldwell? It does not sound like it took much, to get the hair splitting sharpness you were looking for. Thanks for the great pics and info. I just ordered the Model 1-4, partially based on your post.

-Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Congratulation with you Caldwell and wellcome to the forum!

I use Diamond benchstones to do reprofiling and rough sharpening DMT DiaSharp stones wher D8XX is very useful for initial edge recreation. Then I polish it to mirror with Green Rouge - Chromium Oxide from WoodCraft store, and then diamond powders 1, 0.3 and 0.15 microns. (For this one with so thin edge reprofiling is not an issue).

For polishing key is to use hard surface with thin leather belt on top of it not glued but stretched over and use very delicate moves trying almost not to touch very edge but keep it sliding on the edge side - it will touch the edge accidently and lightly - exactely as needed.

I hope you enjoy your knife as I enjoy mine. More I use it more I like his design. I have quite a bit of knives but when I pick one to do some cutting lately I always pick Matthew's 1-6.

Mostly I use it to cut very thick leather to make bag - it delivers clean single cut which make it pleasant to work with. But if I need to open box - again pick this one - using any excuse to handle it. Lately, I cut boxes in pieces for recycling - had quite a few of them, again it does not only make job done but really make it pleasant...

Thanks, Vassili.

Vassili,

Thank you for the quick reply, and the good info. I am anxiously awaiting the 1-4 Model, should be in later this week from EDC Knives.

Again, I always appreciate these kind of reviews, and the excellent Pics. I had my eye on the Caldwell's when the Model 1-6 first came out, but not knowing anything about it, I held off, soo It's good to know you are enjoying it.

- Anthony

I got the last model 1-4 satin finish/leather sheath from vintageknives last week. Will post pics when I get a new camera tomorrow or next day.

Adam

I got the last model 1-4 satin finish/leather sheath from vintageknives last week. Will post pics when I get a new camera tomorrow or next day.

Adam

Congratulation and wellcome to the forum!

Looking forward to see your photoes.

Thanks, Vassili.

Another fan of the Caldwell knives here. I've been fondling, and sometimes cutting with, this one for a couple of months:

attachment.php

It's apparently a one-off for a show. Black paper micarta scales with deep grooves. They feel great.

And this one is now on the way, as well:

attachment.php

Attachments

• caldwell_m1-6_2.jpg
    caldwell_m1-6_2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,513
  • 22615a-c.jpg
    22615a-c.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,517
Welcome to the forums!!!!

"Vintage"!!!! LOL!!! :D These have only been out for a year or so - that's "vintage" now??!!!! :D

Good to see those outside the Northwest are finding out about your work! The article in the mag should've helped, too! :thumbup:

Now, when are ya gonna add a clippoint to one of those puppies??? :D

See ya at the next show... Puyallup in December, maybe???

Back