Maxpedition Bottle holder kit, review and pics

Just found a local maxpedition dealer and bumping this awesome thread. He has an orange Jumbo on sale but I want to build up a kit like this, maybe order a cocoon or a pocket organizer to go with it. Think I have a guitar strap kicking around to save a few bucks with too. Already have a million ideas running through my head, will post pics eventually.
Awesome kits everybody!

Can't wait to see them! As an update: I have removed my stainless steel Guyot and replaced it with a Platypus 1 liter bladder with drinking straw. It is still nested in the cup where the Guyot would be. Nice not to have to open the compartment every time for a drink and now I drink more.

^ that's a good idea- you steel have a steel pot to boil water if necessary, it's a lighter option as well :)

does it take up less room that the ss bottle?

^ that's a good idea- you steel have a steel pot to boil water if necessary, it's a lighter option as well :)

does it take up less room that the ss bottle?

Rolled up in there and you could definitely fit more things, but once full it take up the same space. I can still keep that little round maxped chew holder in the top part of the bag like previously as well.

Really wondering what smaller packs I should get to add to it, I am thinking some combination of the barnacle, cocoon, EDC pocket organizer, and maybe a rollypolly.
I actually thought of getting two bottle holders and attaching them together, you could get a tarp and ground sheet in an empty one easy.

Having a blast going through my gear getting my PSK stuff organized. I get a weird mindset I am sure a few can sympathize with, everything I look at gets categorized into it's usefulness for a potential item in my kit.
At work tonight I got some rubber bands, zip ties, 3 sizes of zip loc bags, a piece of .003" steel shim stock about 6' by 12', a few possible uses for that, like cooking and such. Also went to walmart today and got some needles, fish hooks, first aid stuff, andthen salt, pepper, straws and sugar at the McDirtys, haha.

thanks, well it's still lighter :)

Tru dat! I do like this new setup for the weight secondary and function added primarily. Always bothered me stopping. That is why I always gravitated to my camelbak. Now I just need to figure out how to wear it as more as a back pack over both shoulders instead of over just one which allows it to move a lot more than I like and would better distribute weight. I did at one point clip it to my belt which did help some.

Really wondering what smaller packs I should get to add to it, I am thinking some combination of the barnacle, cocoon, EDC pocket organizer, and maybe a rollypolly.
I actually thought of getting two bottle holders and attaching them together, you could get a tarp and ground sheet in an empty one easy.

Having a blast going through my gear getting my PSK stuff organized. I get a weird mindset I am sure a few can sympathize with, everything I look at gets categorized into it's usefulness for a potential item in my kit.
At work tonight I got some rubber bands, zip ties, 3 sizes of zip loc bags, a piece of .003" steel shim stock about 6' by 12', a few possible uses for that, like cooking and such. Also went to walmart today and got some needles, fish hooks, first aid stuff, andthen salt, pepper, straws and sugar at the McDirtys, haha.

I'd resist the urge to add too many pockets, it'll become something that you won't want to carry- keep it simple a small pocket or two and you'll have something that is light and nimble and fun to carry :)

Wow, this threads still going lol. I wonder how many water bottle carriers were bought because of it? Two that I know of for sure, and probably a third soon.

With water and gear this thing can get heavy for a shoulder strap quick. I have mine set up with a janus pouch on the shoulder strap, a T.M. Hunt Yuma knife on one side of the water bottle now. It stays in the truck always unless I am carrying it. Had an organizer on the other side but took it off. There is one with a similar set up in the wife's trunk.

Mistwalker,

I purchased one from Canterbury's site
Different brand is much less expensive than Maxpedition

Great setup
Bottle and cup
With a small End2end alki stove and fuel, and tea bags
Plus a fire steel and mineral oil soaked cotton

A great piece of kit, which I wear with a shoulder strap
I means I can carry it with other bags when I go out
But I know I have water and heating is covered

Thanks for this thread..........

Last edited:
Mistwalker,

I purchased one from Canterbury's site
Different brand is much less expensive than Maxpedition

Great setup
Bottle and cup
With a small End2end alki stove and fuel, and tea bags
Plus a fire steel and mineral oil soaked cotton

A great piece of kit, which I wear with a shoulder strap
I means I can carry it with other bags when I go out
But I know I have water and heating is covered

Thanks for this thread..........

I just bought the same thing. Waiting for it to get here. Does your bottle leak? I heard there were some issues with that, not sure if he fixed the problem in later production versions.

Got mine today, I was going to get black but his pouches were all od, was not hard to switch anyway I love the look of the green. it's a 12X5, so it must be older stuff.
He is going to put an order for a condor 2 in for me as well, going to be my main BOB pack.

Got a cocoon and he had a small pocket organizer that he was using (lightly) and had no use for, he threw it in for cheap. Almost got the roly poly for a rain poncho stuff sack but I think I will hold off on that.

I had one tac tie left so I put the wave on there, but it's a little heavy. the metal between the bottle and cup is that .003 steel, it makes a perfect spacer so it won't slide off, and has other uses and weight nothing. The bushman is there for no reason, too big and heavy for this set up, but I thought about it for about 1 second. If I had a mini bushman though... I think the Izula will become the fixed blade for this kit, and a sak farmer inside I think.
156407_10151426346878470_1838004457_n.jpg

All in all very happy with this gear. Two things I need are a strap that my brother is going to hook me up with (old guitar strap) and I would like a quick disconnect version of the tac tie so I can remove the pocket organizer more easily for edc stuff. Does such a thing exist?

This is showing the Platypus 1 litre bladder instead of the SS Guyot. Pouches are 2 cocoon, 1 7x5x2 vertical GP pouch low profile, 10x4 bottle holder, Tactical can case, 1.5" shoulder pad and shoulder strap of para cord from Canteenshop.com.

uploadfromtaptalk1361053845058.jpg

Last edited:
Got my kit today in the mail from Pathfinder. All in all, a good deal for the price. I was a little disappointed to see the bottle holder was a Condor H2O pouch, which sells elsewhere on the internet for $3-4 cheaper than what they charge. But it's got some nice items in it, and I'm sure I'll find a use for them. I really like the cup. It nests well with the bottle and the cooking grill, and at 25 oz it's certainly big enough to double as a solo pot.

Even though I don't do a bottle kit myself, I love seeing all these setups. There's always something new to see and potentially 'borrow'. My 10x4 lives on my Sabercat but this seems the most relevant place to post this...

I wanted a vacuum flask that fits the 10x4 well, and after searching on and off for a few years I finally found one: the Esbit 750ml stainless steel flask. It's more squat than the usual flasks and similar in size to the Guyot/Nalgene bottles. Previously I had used my old Vango 500ml flask, which only just fit because it's tall and doesn't really hold enough for a full day. Sometimes I don't want to or can't use a fire or cooker.

The Esbit flask comes in black or silver and has a second, small orange cup nested under the larger lid/cup. Silver is better because it radiates less heat - theoretically anyway, not sure it would be measurable really at these temperatures. I've just filled the flask with boiling water for the first time and I'll see how long it keeps the water hot today.

Edit to update the test: Twelve hours later and I've almost scalded my fingers pouring the water out. Definitely too hot to drink without letting it cool first. That's good enough for me!

You can see from the photo's below how well the flask fits. Also in the photo's is my stainless biscuit tin/cooking pot with lid that just fits in the 10x4 too, and the flask fits inside the tin.

Hope this is useful to anyone else wanting a flask that fits the 10x4.

Comparison with a Guyot
PICT0231.JPG

The flask fits the 10x4
PICT0233.JPG

The flask fits the tin
PICT0232.JPG

The tin fits the 10x4
PICT0236.JPG

The flask in the tin in the 10x4 - still room on top
PICT0237.JPG

Last edited:
Very sad now. I've just tonight found the time to be messing around with my Pathfinder kit, and lo and behold, the lid leaks! Obviously, this won't do. I've sent an email to the Pathfinder folks, see what they say. I'll keep you all posted.

I've got a 12 x 5 Maxpedition bottle holder as part of my vehicle survival bag/ get home bag. In the bottle section, I keep a snow peak 700 mL titanium cup, and inside the cup, a 4 oz fuel canister and an Optimus Crux backpackers stove. On top of that, I have an empty platypus bottle and a sawyer squeeze water filter. Then I've got some energy gels and some gun and candy. In the pouch on the front of the bottle holder, I've for a small fire kit, some fish hooks, TP, gorilla tape, and extra batteries for my light. Attached to both side's MOLLE webbing, I have an M4 mag pouch, which stores my bahco Laplander saw, a rotation of small fixed blade knives, and some fatwood. This whole unit goes into an underarmour high quality drawstring backpack which houses a few mountain house meals, some MRE entrees, a coghlans emergency hammock, a space blanket-type tarp, a hundred feet of para cord, a small spool of fishing line, an extra 4 oz fuel canister, a map f my area, some other assorted items, and a dozen extra various shotshells for my truck gun, which is a break open single shot 12 ga, modded to hold three shells in the stock, and 5 in a shotshell holder/ small pouch. In that small pouch, I keep a magnesium bar, some razor blades, and some para cord. That basically constitutes my "vehicle survival kit". I got the idea of the bag from Wranglerstar on YT and the shotgun idea from Dave Canterbury and TheHossUSMC on YT.

Back