Maynard's Delkalope

In the end, things are still......things.
Besides, your Pops might steal it from you, better hide it when he visits.

Send it to me and I'll get blood on it first so you can feel better about it.;)

Wait a minute! I hope it's not my blood you're taking about. :eek:
I can cut myself quite well thank you.

Tang is peened with a little extra texture. Now to final shape everything, and fine tune the end plate to match the antler shape. Tedious, but I think it will turn out nice. I'm way out of my comfort zone with this project but I'm diggin it.

Most excellent, John! I'm really looking forward to seeing this one finished, I always liked the plates or finials that matched the contours of the antler! :thumbup:

Do you trace the stag end shape and use that as a template, or free hand it? I've often wondered how it was done...

Shaped.jpg

I'm still wondering how its done! I got a tight fit with the slot so there isnt any play to start with and shaped it to about 90% before attaching, rough traced the outline and cut it down with a bandsaw. Then put a coat of layout fluid on and scribed around the antler filing down closer each time, had to repeat that about seven or eight times. That got pretty close, now that its attached, I'm trying to match it up with the antler so it's smooth like in your picture (sweet knife by the way). If it was smooth antler it would be a lot easier, but avoiding all of the ridges with a file is proving to be a pain in the butt. I know one thing, I appreciate seeing fitted caps like that even more now!

This is where I'm at right now, trying to preserve as much of the antler as possible.

Oh, chit, bruhver, yous almost dere! Noice! :cool:

It looks like RMK used a black fiber spacer under their cap. I wonder if that was for esthetics, or if helps protect the stag whilst filing to fit - or maybe bowf? :confused:

I don't know but this bronze piece under the nickel is a pain. A softer material would have made that transition easier I think.

We can all blame Scott for this, his knives blew me away when I first saw them and sparked my madness. Thankfully, my questions haven't caused him to put out a restraining order on me yet:D.

Close to having it shaped, polished it up real quick to see where we're at. Still have a little ways to go. That's just electrical tape goop on the front of the guard, looks like crap in the picture, but the guard is nice and clean.

Last edited:
Need to fine tune the plate down a little and get some better detail.

Back