MBK EWC

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by marchone, Oct 22, 2019.

1. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    That’s good CS. My misaligned pocket clip is the only nitpick I have.

What I would really like to see is Ray do a slim CF scaled liner lock in the same style to continue the EZC, EWC series. He could call it the EZL for liner lock. Slimmer than the EZC but safer than the EWC.

sechip and halden.doerge like this.
  2. Gideons

Gideons Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 9, 2015
    For those who owns one of these, is it possible to slow two handed open one of these?

3. marchone

Mar 13, 2013
    It is, but not easily as there’s no nail nick.

4. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    I find slow rolling it with the flipper to be quite easy.

5. Comprehensivist

Comprehensivist Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 23, 2008
    I want to state at the outset of this post that this is one of my favorite folders to come out in a while. It has many nice features that make it pocket friendly and practical as a gentlemens type folder. I love the overall size and clean simple lines. The blade shape and geometry are very good with a nice full height grind that is thin behind the edge. I like the neutral handle shape with the fuller groove for visual flare and gripping texture. The pocket clip has a nice smooth shape that does not form a hot spot for me. The double-detent mechanism with front flipper is fast to deploy and fun to fidget with.

Do I think the EWC is a perfect knife? No I do not. Very close yes, but there is a design defect in my mind that needs to be addressed to get there. Let me explain below.

I agree that it would be a simple manufacuring improvement to add a tiny radius around the inner edges of the handle scales to eliminate the sharp feel there. I will be kissing these edges on mine today with some wet 600 grit sandpaper to improve the feel while I have the knife apart.

The “gritty” feel that people have commented about is design and/or manufacturing related. If you close the knife slowly, you will notice that the blade catches in this position.

[​IMG]

The reason for this is contact between a section of the jimping and the detent ball. The orange wire in the photo bepow shows the line of the jimping in the handle and the tip of the paper clip is approximately where the detent ball is.

[​IMG]

I removed the show side scale and replaced the pivot screw to show what’s going on inside.

[​IMG]

What causes the gritty feel is that the detent ball rides over the sharp edges of the center jimping tooth as the blade rotates through its arc.

[​IMG]

What happens in practice is that the detent ball pops up slightly into the radius groove to the left of the center tooth...

[​IMG]

...then the ball drops down to pass under the tooth...

[​IMG]

...then the ball pops up again into the groove on the right of the tooth before dropping down again as the blade continues on its movement arc.

[​IMG]

That up-down-up-down movement of the detent ball over the sharp edges around the center tooth creates drag which those of us with OCD tendencies may call grittiness. I don’t think that the average Joe will notice this as an issue to be concerned about.

In all fairness, this condition doesn’t hamper the fast opening or closing of the blade in normal use. It is just something that could and should be improved as a CQI update on future manufacturing runs. I could foresee two ways to fix this. The first would be moving the location of the detent ball forward to be closer to the pivot. The other way that makes more sense to me would be eliminating the unnecessary jimping that runs behind the flipper extension section. This area of jimping is non-functional because it sits below scales in both the open and closed positions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today I am going to polish a tiny .001-.002 break on the edges and grooves around the center jimping tooth to smooth things up a touch on mine. I will report back tomorrow if this creates any noticable improvement.

Even with the above nit-pick comments, this is a great little knife that I fully intend to keep, carry and use regularly.

Phil

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    marchone, Fire Beard, Kaizen1 and 2 others like this.
  6. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    Yep, that's definitely on the money. Thanks for the thorough discussion and pics! MBK has been really great about responding to constructive design criticism and I think they will welcome this info when considering changes to make to future runs.

7. terryna

terryna

Mar 15, 2018
    Agree...[​IMG]

8. sechip

sechip Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks Phil, totally makes sense. I too will keep it in the rotation.

9. Kaizen1

Kaizen1

Jan 4, 2006
    I had an issue with a Minpin and Sanford made sure it was taken care of in a timely manner. He stands behind his products.

10. Kaizen1

Kaizen1

Jan 4, 2006
    Great breakdown and analysis. Much appreciated

11. Agartha Audio

Agartha Audio Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Love mine, been carrying and using it nonstop since it released. I ended up fully contouring the scales on mine, and feel like this mod really takes the feel in hand to another level. Also smoothed out the jimping considerably, and this explains (probably) why I also haven't experienced the grittiness which Comprehensivist so eloquently illustrated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    [QUOTE="halden.doerge, post: 19353446, member: 387620"]Anyone else have an annoyingly scratchy thing going on with their detent ball rubbing on the blade? I've taken mine apart, cleaned and lubed it and everything. Still pretty scratchy. Action is good, but it's still a bit annoying. Maybe it'll break in with a little time.[/QUOTE]

I took mine by the MBK booth at Blade West and Sanford took a look at mine personally, took it apart, cleaned it up, etc. It's definitely better now, though still a little rough. I'm waiting to see if it breaks in. If not, he said I could send it to him and he'd replace it. I was very satisfied with the customer service he has going.

You took it apart once before Blade, Was it pretty dirty?

13. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    Not too bad. But there may have been some grit in the bearings.

14. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    Now THAT is what it should have looked like from the factory. Nicely done :thumbsup:

Officer's Match likes this.
  15. Agartha Audio

Agartha Audio Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Thanks man, much appreciated!

16. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    Agreed, the contouring there looks superb!

17. jeffsenpai

jeffsenpai Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Interesting, looking at my EWC, the detent ball on mine does not come into contact with the jimping like it does in the Comprehensivist's post. That must be slightly out of tolerance there. Mine is perfectly smooth.

I have enjoyed it quite a bit since buying. Really, the only fault I have is that the blade looses centering and gets side to side play after handling/toying with the flipping action for awhile. A slight turn with a torx bit gets it back into shape. I tried blue loctite, but it still worked itself loose after enough flipping. And this action BEGS to be flipped casually.

18. halden.doerge

Aug 17, 2014
    Mine was like that too. I was able to keep the pivot from backing out by using blue loctite....but the key is you have to let it sit for at least 24 hours after applying the loctite to give it time to set. Which means you gotta control the urge to flip it. The struggle is real.

19. marchone

Mar 13, 2013
    What grit did you use? More than one?

It looks really nice. I’d like to do it too.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    chiral.grolim likes this.
  20. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    I really need to stop looking in here...

chiral.grolim likes this.