Medium Choppa thread!!

There's proof right that Nathan made the HDMC, more like HDMC ;)

It's actually a bit thicker than the proto-HC (there were actually 8 of them which I think I had mistakenly quoted as 6!):

Proto-HC was 0.260" vs HDMC at 0.275" and weight wise, it comes in heavier than the original specs which Nathan had stated, i.e, ~25.6 oz vs ~23.2 oz while proto-HCs were a "puny" ~22.9 oz!

So I suppose that by making the grinds taller, Nathan went a tad thinner BTE to make the HDMC a better cutter or else I don't see why the proto-HCs were originally claimed as indestructible for knuckleheads who luv to break sh*t! Hail the true HDMC and now I will be needing a 2nd one, likely future Fridays sale score with TT handle scales :)

There's proof right that Nathan made the HDMC, more like HDMC ;)

It's actually a bit thicker than the proto-HC (there were actually 8 of them which I think I had mistakenly quoted as 6!):

Proto-HC was 0.260" vs HDMC at 0.275" and weight wise, it comes in heavier than the original specs which Nathan had stated, i.e, ~25.6 oz vs ~23.2 oz while proto-HCs were a "puny" ~22.9 oz!

So I suppose that by making the grinds taller, Nathan went a tad thinner BTE to make the HDMC a better cutter or else I don't see why the proto-HCs were originally claimed as indestructible for knuckleheads who luv to break sh*t! Hail the true HDMC and now I will be needing a 2nd one, likely future Fridays sale score with TT handle scales :)

About the same thickness behind the edge as the original but narrower primary grinds, the same geometry that we're using on the comp Choppers just thicker.

^ cool Nathan. I think that this will replace the BC for me as the ultimate skull crusher :p I mean, not to take away from the BC but it's just a tad too long for me on the belt (stocky built 5'9" 200 lb) as that darn thing is really a Big Damn Knife!!!

Oh, I wouldn't want to part with my only BC either but I always tend to buy a backup one in working handle scales in TT so with that said, I will forego the backup BC in favor of a backup HDMC :)

My keeper/collector/play sets are in antique edge-cut ;)

Received my MC yesterday, it has completely blown away my expectations of what it would be.
I don’t know what sorcery was used to get the balance so right on such a big knife but it feels like they made this knife just for me. The handles looked like my HDFK in the pics, and the lines are extremely similar, but the feel is completely different to me- and I like them a lot!
The forward working grip gives great control over that 10 inch blade and the grip at the rear of the scales is extremely comfortable for chopping. The palm swells fill my hand very well and the fawns foot style butt of the grip gives a very solid and secure feeling while swinging away like I’m Ash in an evil dead movie.
Mine showed up legitimately shaving sharp down the whole edge and after chopping down a small apple tree/Apple bush the edge is still perfect with that keen shaving ability just a bit diminished- very impressive to say the least.
My sheath had some excess kydex shavings trapped inside from where Eric drilled out the lanyard hole near the choil but it was easily popped out with no damage being done to the scales from a few dozen slips into the kydex before I noticed it.
I went with unbuffed handles on mine in OD green. They don’t really seem green to me, especially compared to the buffed OD green on my HDFK but I like them just the same and the “ feel “ is downright awesome.
After playing around cutting that tree today I have no reason to get a set of buffed handles other than I think I’d like the look of them more, maybe after some time I’ll send mine into to CPK for a work out so they can be buff like my one good arm will be after how much I plan on swinging this blade around ;)

There was a lot to it when I started and I trimmed every last bit I could to enjoy the experience. Not much to see now.
https://i.imgur.com/fo1xGg2.jpg

Crappy glamour shot with the HDFK which feels like a tiny knife after using the MC.
Had to put them to bed:)
https://i.imgur.com/cKOVVn6.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with the handles; very weird to start but after handling a bit you can find the sweet spots for different options. I had this with my HDFK when I first got it; couldn’t find a comfortable position and was thinking this doesn’t seem like it it going to work. But that is just sitting at the desk; once you actually use the knife it it like “ya I get it now”.

Toughest part of the MC is figuring out how to carry it. A little heavy for the belt so thinking of rigging one of my kydex sheaths to a shoulder sling (this one for when I am backpacking/waistbelt on the pack) and then the other kydex I have a leather loop from Sagewood Gear on the way as they are a bit stiffer/less floppy.

Has anyone sent their MC in to Brian at Sagewood for a sheath by chance? I really like the Randall style sheath....

I was carrying it around, on my belt, doing chores today, and thought that it was fine. Probably because I always wear my CCW belt and it has a stiff liner built in to support the weight of a sidearm, with that the belt didn’t sag or try to pants me.
I did notice that it’d be nice to have a more rigid drop loop or find a way to hook it up to some sort of baldric sling to get it off of my belt. That could also allow for a smoother cross draw leaving my primary side open for other things.
That said, I’ll probsbly just end up putting it into a backpack and wearing the HDFK on my hip while walking and use the MC when I’m more stationary.

MC Goodness
gh6c3T6.jpg

Took the MC for a walk with the dog tonight; mosquitos are still horrendous up here so only could stop long enough to try a quick feather and take a photo. Hoping to get some more time on the blade and see if it fills the niche; but so far getting to like the contours on the handle. If I could complain about one thing it would be the semi-choil; needs to be a bit bigger/same size as the HDFK!

181D6E9F-4712-47DC-BD2E-3744E12770AD.jpeg F5F2CC48-EBAE-479E-B3F2-17C375AE4A3F.jpeg

Back