Photos Metal Monday - Post Your Metal TRADITIONAL Pics

Smith & Wesson branded funny folder from the early 80s. I bought it second-hand in the mid to late 80s at a flea market for not very much.

Not as cool looking as yours, Stelth, but thanks for reminding me. ATS-34 blade, stainless frame, Ti strap. I told A.G. once that I'd like it better if he'd sharpen the other side of the blade and make it a drop point. But after Jack Black has educated us on the lambsfoot, I guess A.G.'s "all purpose blade" has its place, too. R.I.P. A.G.

I dimly recall seeing a Funny Folder when I was a kid, maybe a Ford promo? But I don't even remember the blade shape, just the interesting mechanism.

Smith & Wesson branded funny folder from the early 80s. I bought it second-hand in the mid to late 80s at a flea market for not very much.

Not as cool looking as yours, Stelth, but thanks for reminding me. ATS-34 blade, stainless frame, Ti strap. I told A.G. once that I'd like it better if he'd sharpen the other side of the blade and make it a drop point. But after Jack Black has educated us on the lambsfoot, I guess A.G.'s "all purpose blade" has its place, too. R.I.P. A.G.

I dimly recall seeing a Funny Folder when I was a kid, maybe a Ford promo? But I don't even remember the blade shape, just the interesting mechanism.
Very interesting guys, the Funny Folder looks to operate in the same way as the earlier Easifold knives made by John Watts of Sheffield. I have a couple somewhere, so if I can find them, I'll get some pics up later 👍

Here's one with advertising :thumbsup:

85l4Cfe.jpg

ChVrWSC.jpg

2FJxy2N.jpg

b1REgsr.jpg

wrkfg5N.jpg

Thanks for the info, Jack. You are always a welcome fount of information, as well as actual examples of the knives discussed. How big is the Cooper ad knife? Is it about the same size as my funny folder, just under 3" closed, 2.25" blade?

I found a 2017 bladeforums thread titled

John Watts Sheffield Easifold​

that you posted in, with similar photos and one of the old factory building. Very cool.

Bartleby also posted a link in that thread to a US knife patent from June 6, 1893 with that same construction, by Vandalia Slater of Hunts, New York.

You also mentioned and provided photos of knifemaker Ted Dowells version of that kind of knife. You, sir, are a Bladeforums treasure, always a fun read. If you have more examples of Easifold/Funny Folders, maybe you could start another thread, or do you think the 2017 thread is complete enough? Thanks again for all your info and photos.

Thanks for the info, Jack. You are always a welcome fount of information, as well as actual examples of the knives discussed. How big is the Cooper ad knife? Is it about the same size as my funny folder, just under 3" closed, 2.25" blade?

I found a 2017 bladeforums thread titled

John Watts Sheffield Easifold​

that you posted in, with similar photos and one of the old factory building. Very cool.

Bartleby also posted a link in that thread to a US knife patent from June 6, 1893 with that same construction, by Vandalia Slater of Hunts, New York.

You also mentioned and provided photos of knifemaker Ted Dowells version of that kind of knife. You, sir, are a Bladeforums treasure, always a fun read. If you have more examples of Easifold/Funny Folders, maybe you could start another thread, or do you think the 2017 thread is complete enough? Thanks again for all your info and photos.
Thank for the kind words :) I have another couple of Easifold Knives, but they took a bit of finding...:eek: They were hiding with the Tinies :D

IYzcvNZ.jpg

wy0riB5.jpg

They measure 4 1/4" fully open, 2 1/2" closed,1 3/4" blade.

Here's a few more photos of the former John Watts factory (my grandfather grew up a short distance away) :thumbsup:

NKHGxFU.jpg

t4zK6Js.jpg

Rtqwytx.jpg

Blue Alox Pruner in a photo taken 2 days short of a year ago. This year's grapes look about the same; the annual question is whether the grapes will ripen in time for us to harvest them before we leave for our vacation the first 2 full weeks of August. Anticipation ...
pruner.grapes2.jpg

- GT

Ok this is a bit of an eye sore I know 🤪
But it’s at least all metal. Your garden variety low carbon structural steel to be specific, A36 or similar.

It’s not directly razor sharp but it is a serious contender in the window breaking category 😉

47D3494D-B4E7-470B-9ED2-E61B1E5EAC0E.jpeg

Back