Michael'’s knives

Thank you guys.

When I was a kid, this was one of my favorite comic book heroes. And terrible I wanted to have this particular knife. Nothing could resist it. Dinosaurs, Smilodons… any problem.

Many years later, here it is the knife of Rahan. Or at least my view of it. :D
Blade - 180 х 34 x 5mm. 194 lairs damascus. For cutting age I have laminated Silver Steel /1.2210/. Zone hardened. About 5 centimeters of upper edge are sharpened. Otherwise difficult to penetrate dinosaur skin. :D
Handle – fossilized bone, /Fraxinus angustifolia/tree, treated with hot steam under high pressure. The wood is brushed with a wire brush as well. Leather band and brass nails.

All comments are welcome. Thank you.

Hi friends.
This is “The little snake”. A job done very recently.
Probably you guess where the idea came from. I caught the little snake on a fishing trip. It does not bit me, but the dagger did it twice after I sharpened it. Nasty bloodsucker. :D

Blade is forged of K720, 15N20 and (1.2210)"Silversteel". 70 lairs. Zone hardened. Inlays – bronze, copper and sterling alloy.
Handle – Ebony and boxwood. Inlays – silver. Guard – damascus. Pommel - damascus , bronze, copper and sterling alloy.
Scabbard – walnut /blackened/, bronze, copper and sterling alloy.

In this photo dagger is at the bottom of a small mountain stream.

It began almost as a joke. When I started this project, decided to tell the friends from Bulgarian Forum little story about forging a sword. I took a picture of every single step of it. And the process was made as it have happened 500 or 1000 years ago, without any modern tools. Somehow unexpectedly, the story by itself began to flow easy and with fun. My friends liked it so much that continually wanted more and more. So, and I have continued until the pages were almost 100.
I hope it is not too presumptuous of me, but I will try to introduce you to the atmosphere of the place where events were moving.
…………………………………………..
It happened at a small insignificant village no more than twenty houses, somewhere at Mead earth. A remarkable with nothing man walked along the main and actually the only street of the village, and stopped just outside it, right in front of the Daldo’s forge. /A few days ago I showed you where his smithy is, remember it?/ Daldo was a dwarf and was never famous for good temper. The man came into the twilight of the shed and walked to the fireplace, where the smith worked.
- Good day, Master - said the man.
The smith scratched his bald crown, looked for every case through the door and shrugged.
- If you say so… Although, I personally prefer them cooler. Here, fireside becomes quite warm at this time of year.
- They said you understand of the craft.
- Well, better not believe everything you hear. You - the people - have become lately such……… If someone starts to be too polite, I’m trying to cram the purse right between my purses… if you understand what I mean.
- And what about dwarfs?
- So-so - Spun the dwarf its hand as bakery shovel.
- Well – shrugged the human. – Assbeard sends me.
- MASTER Assbeard for you! – rumbled the dwarf’s voice.
- Master, yes, but not enough to do me a job.
- And HE told you, that I will?
- He said you could... half-heartedly.
Daldo thought for a bit.
- This could mean two things………………….. Or I will burst your head with the hammer, when this conversation is over…………
- Or?
- Unlikely because I know him well enough, but the other option is to treat to a dwarfs’ beer. The true one, not that piss offered in the pubs at crossroads.
-You do not mind the thing that smokes, and when immersed in a rusty ax………..
- Exactly that's what I mean - licked his lips greedily the dwarf.
- Fucking choice.
…………………………..
Now shorter, because the translation is painfully time consuming…and not quite correct I guess:
So, one way or another, the man persuaded dwarf allows him to work in his smithy. Not free, of course. He brought something more valuable than money - as big as his fist piece of sky iron. Some of you know what that means to a blacksmith, right?

In fact, the man wore another piece of steel in his belt. But to understand its value, I would have to remind you an old, old story. Perhaps many of you remember that legend?
Son of the Sun strongly wanted to drive the chariot of his father. An early morning stole it and decisively whipped the horses with the reins. No one longer remembers whether the teenager was intoxicated, or only very stupid, but the result cannot be forgotten easily. His riding created some wonderful new deserts on Mead-earth and in the end chariot with a deafening boom crashed high above the permafrost line in the mountains that supports sky. Which brought the big dark…
Whatever, it past hundreds of years. Someone of that breed - you know them, who always want not only to understand things, but to touch - he managed to climb to the place and most importantly, managed to come down again… alive. That man, he brought something with him…… Piece spring from the chariot. A piece of metal forged in the smithy of the gods. Thus it came to light the First Sword. But this is a history. Now we will talk about the sixth one. -
“THE SABERTOOTH”
I was going to be brief at the beginning of that story, but ... Suddenly it happens that this insignificant-looking man has own history and difficult character. Too often he did not wants to go where I was leading. Moreover, he clearly gave me to understand that this is his life, and he considers forging it alone. Step by step, story inside the story, pages continues to grow.
This way the project for a sword became a book, not absolutely ready still, but I hope soon to reach its readers.
Months were needed by man to forge his weapon and decorate it. No matter how strange, but slowly and imperceptibly he and the dwarf became friends. Many stories were shared between them. More were concealed, of course. Together they resisted the attack of orcs. And…………… and from now I am shutting up and let the pictures talk.

The next step is inlays of bronze and copper in steel blade, but more on that tomorrow.
Thank you for watching.

Perhaps I should tell you, when the man (by the way his name is Thor) has learned blacksmithing?
His father was a blacksmith. His first toys were hammer and tongs. All his childhood has passed fireside. But when he was about 10 years old, the war passed through their village, and he left the only living thing in the ashes. And then ... Then comes the hardest survival as a vagabond, beggar in the hostile city ... lessons of the prison ... But this all ready is another part of the story.

Really enjoying this MK, Thanks for sharing

Glad to hear it, kellerknives.

And now, several words about why sabertooth:
Maybe ten years years before to acquire a priceless piece of steel, Thor and two of his friends left the army of a small local despot. They decided to look for precious beryl in the mountain that supports the sky. It was autumn. They climbed too high and the first snowstorm overtook them near a narrow mountain pass. Behind this passage was hiding a small isolated from everyone and everything valley. They managed to reach it, but the road back was buried under snows until spring. In the valley of the hot springs lived simple backward of the time people. They accepted them warmly. But winter in the mountains was long and boring. During a hunt, our people saw sabertooth. One big cat disappeared a long time ago in the plains. Is there a better entertainment of dangerous hunt? Thor did not agree, but one way or another (hunting pit), his friends managed to kill the male. And at the next night, the female tore to death both of them in their hut.
Thus began the hunt, which changed his life. It was not easy to face this beast with a spear and small knife only. But this time, Thor felt it was his duty to avenge the death of his best friends. The hunter went after its prey. And during the first night, the roles were exchanged. Because he smelt beast’s heavy stench, felt as if in his own lungs low throaty growl, every hair on his neck seemed says it’s behind you, it’s jumping over… But he not once managed to notice even his shadow… While the shadows slowly descended, and the night took its rights, horror gradually squeezed his heart.
If the cat had attacked tonight, this story might never be told. But sometimes Fortuna loves to play with us. This game lasted days ... or maybe weeks. In his memoirs later, he never managed even to distinguish days from nights. He seemed to fall on the steps of some kind of ladder, in the direction of the animal hidden somewhere deep inside him. And that animal, banished in each of us, was rebelling, trying to break the chains and to climb, to escape to freedom.

Small accident with one of the incrustation in process of hardening. Nothing that can’t be rectified.

The end of my explanation, inexplicably disappeared. Here it is now:

Somewhere out there on the tenth or twentieth dying, feeling the nails tearing his flesh, hearing the crackle of his own breaking bones, seeing the blood of slow strokes to flow from his veins the miracle happened… Over weight was gone from his chest. He could again see the color of the woods, as if he could sniff each herb… The fear was gone. He was not afraid to die any more.
He knew perfectly that now could kill the beast ……………………………. And hi didn’t.
When spring came, he left the valley. While climbing the path to the pass, he turned to look for the last time place where lost his only friends. And just before turning, something stopped his eyes. Something moved in the shadow of the trees on the edge of a meadow. Overshadow his eyes with hand. Bushes again moved and two small golden balls rolled on the grass, caught up in the game.
He did not turn back any more. The wheel of life had spun again.

As I mentioned somewhere, all in this sword is done by hand. No metal processing machines.

Thank you guys.

When I was a kid, this was one of my favorite comic book heroes. And terrible I wanted to have this particular knife. Nothing could resist it. Dinosaurs, Smilodons… any problem.

Many years later, here it is the knife of Rahan. Or at least my view of it. :D
Blade - 180 х 34 x 5mm. 194 lairs damascus. For cutting age I have laminated Silver Steel /1.2210/. Zone hardened. About 5 centimeters of upper edge are sharpened. Otherwise difficult to penetrate dinosaur skin. :D
Handle – fossilized bone, /Fraxinus angustifolia/tree, treated with hot steam under high pressure. The wood is brushed with a wire brush as well. Leather band and brass nails.

I think you nailed it. Awesome.

Thank you kraash.

If you want to see bigger image, click on the picture.

Hi friends.
One more thing.

In memory of Stephen. Cancer does not allow him to see this walking stick ready… But you will.
African warthog fang, about 140 gr. solid silver 950% and ebony. Inlays - silver, bone and mother of pearl. Bayonet mechanism is made of steel.
The blade is damascus, twisted in several different directions.

Well, it was a long walk over these 9 years, but like all good things it has to end somewhere. And I chose to be here. With my last /at least for the moment/ ambitious work. It is not exactly knife, but I personally would not want to feel it between my ribs. :D
Of course from time to time I will show you some new jobs, but not with such intensity as this past months. First I will have to imagine them.
Michael.
P.S. All possible comments truly are welcome. :D

MK you rock!!, this has been an awesome display of your capabilities. Keep up the great work as I believe we will be hearing and seeing a lot more of you in the near future.

Bigjohn

Hello again.
Today I finished something. In our land it’s called shepherd’s knife. Or “Karaculak” Which means black handle. It is usually made from buffalo horn.
This knife purpose is very close to your Bowie. Served as for everyday needs as for protection from predators and bad people. The sizes of the blades are between 20 to 50, even 60 cm. Depending on how close to the bandit the shepherd is. :D
Over the years many such knives come across to me for restoration. Almost all were damaskus, or with damascus elements. And do you know why?...... Because of poverty.
High carbon steel has been very expensive thing 500 or even 100 years ago. You collect old horseshoes piece of pick, hoop of a barrel ... and forge a knife. And on the edge of the blade you put a very thin piece of high carbon steel. Yes, true, after 20 years of use, it has already melted by sharpening ... but who is perfect? :D
This one is quite economically unjustified. High carbon steel only. :) K720 and 15N20. About 260 layers.
The blade of this “Nipper” is 280 х 36 х 5 mm. Wooden scabbard, dressed in leather and brass casing.

Thank you for watching.

Hello guys.
Something new, at least for me, from these days.

If you want to see bigger image, click on the picture.

Thank you for watching.

Hello gays.
As usual, it is hard for me to rest more than a day. So just before Christmas I started a small knife. Well, a little after the New Year it is ready. On this occasion I will call it “Christian”. :D
The blade is not big. 124 x 32 x 3.8 mm. I forged it of three pieces different mosaics damasius, laminated on steel 1.2210 /Silver steel/. Zone hardened. After tempering the cutting edge is about 62-61 HRC.

Guard and pommel - Damascus. Ebony tree and completely impregnated alder tree. Separators and inlays - bronze.

I'm not very good at taking pictures. Sorry, you can not see the true beauty of this piece of wood.
Thank you for watching.

Hello guys.
Something of these days ... with a slight wink to the east.

The size of the blade is 142 х 34 х 4.5 mm. Cutting edge -1.2210 /silver steel/ 62-61 HRC.
Guard - mokume.
Handle - impregnated core of deer horn, copper and walnut root.

Thank you for watching.

Back