1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Bad Michael Sastre, River City Sheaths

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by Bill Roberts, Jan 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gastonknife

    Gastonknife

    Dec 15, 2008
    Curious as whether or not any of the Mods had any contact with Sastre? Would have expected some kind of update from someone - even if it is just "we were unable to contact him or he has not responded".
     
  2. OMCHamlin

    OMCHamlin

    141
    Oct 10, 2000
    Seems like the mods are specifically staying out of this one.
     
  3. Boru13

    Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

    Apr 25, 2000
    No
    That would be incorrect.
     
  4. stonesell

    stonesell Gold Member Gold Member

    Feb 20, 2009
    It would be interesting to know if Michael Sastre is in good health, and taking part in knife and gun shows making sheaths, or if he stays at home, perhaps overcome with a serious health issue that he doesn’t want to go public with.
     
    El Bandit0 likes this.
  5. Thomas Linton

    Thomas Linton

    Jun 16, 2003
    He's in his late 60s, if I am doing the math correctly.
     
  6. Boru13

    Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

    Apr 25, 2000
    He was healthy enough to attend this years SHOT Show, if he’s healthy enough for that he should be healthy enough for a trip to the post office.
     
  7. Boru13

    Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

    Apr 25, 2000
    @Bill Roberts
    Apologies for not being able to help in the recovery of your property.

    @Mike Sastre has been banned from the forums and links to his business have been removed from his profile as well.
     
  8. Gastonknife

    Gastonknife

    Dec 15, 2008
    Thank you.
    That seems like the appropriate result here. At least he will no longer be able to get potential future victims through BF
     
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  9. Foghorn Leghorn Fan

    Foghorn Leghorn Fan Platinum Member Platinum Member

    690
    Jul 27, 2011
    Based on this thread and member Michael Saster's unwillingness to address this issue, he fits my definition of a Thief.
     
    Quiet and Hale Storm like this.
  10. Hawkfan

    Hawkfan Gold Member Gold Member

    330
    Aug 16, 2019
    Sounds like a very frustrating experience. And think about how much time he's stolen from you. You're having to relive the experience and negative feelings every time you post another response on this thread. I didn't read all of it so I'm not sure if you actually went through pursuing legal action against someone in another state but reading about the situation almost makes me think maybe you should just cut your losses and forget about it. Leave one final friendly message for him saying you understand, it's ok, just send it when you can, kill him with kindness and then don't follow up again. Once he catches up with his backlog or whatever, he's going to send it back to you because that is the option that makes the most sense for everyone. He obviously didn't do all this because he needed another knife. So it's either the trashcan, collect dust and clutter the house, or give it back to the owner.

    You said it yourself that lots of other people got their knives back even if it took forever. So, more than likely he's going to send it back to you unless you've given him a reason to give it to the landfill instead. Which is highly unlikely. It sounds like he's used to dealing with people who are pissed off at him for late work so it's probably not the first time he's been in this situation with an irate customer.

    I think this would be the better option because think about how much productivity he's robbed from you already. The stress and time you've spent on these posts have probably long surpassed the dollar value of the knife and at the of the day the effort spent here doesn't seem like it's going to pay off. You can't force people to do things and it sounds like he knows what's going on and still has chosen to not call you back so you're just wasting your energy. And to think about you pursuing legal action or filing some type of criminal complaint makes me cringe just thinking about the amount of stress, time and money you're going to waste.

    If you truly believe in your heart that this person has malicious intentions then the more time and money you waste, he's winning even more. It's not like you're going to be able to convince an attorney to handle this for you for a percentage of the winnings. Just the initial consultation to describe the situation will cost more than the knife is worth. If you're that angry, just spend a few hundred bucks to fly to his city, rent a car and then show up at his door. If he doesn't answer, take a good book and wait outside his house, he will eventually come out. And if he knows you flew there, there's no way in person he's going to continue to ignore you. You might be able to pull that crap on the internet but no one's going to treat you like that in person. So unless you're prepared to fly there, you should just leave a final amicable voicemail or message and then act as if you're just another victim of a natural disaster and a tornado took the knife away.

    The best thing for you to do now is to accept the fact that the knife is gone as a result of your own mistake and decisions. Consider it a life lesson. I'll bet the next time you hire anyone for anything, you'll do a better job of vetting the person or company. I've been a licensed general and electrical contractor since 2006, believe me, I've had my share of dealing with the craziest people ever. You should consider yourself lucky that you're losing just a knife. I once had a salesman/estimator that I hired lie and exaggerate the amount of power that we could save 18 public schools, 18. He exaggerated the hours of operation for the lighting in the classrooms, and he lied about the number of devices that were consuming power, all of which affects the amount of energy you save when you get new equipment. This is a problem when you work their energy savings into the total cost of construction. I don't want to blow a gasket thinking about it again, all I want to tell you is that you should consider yourself lucky because there are a lot worse things that could have happened to you. And yes, I did get sued by all 18 schools and they did win. But couldn't I simply sue the estimator I hired who flat out lied to earn more commissions? Yes I could have but what's the point if you know him well and you know he doesn't have any money. Me having to see his mug in court 20 more times just to be awarded a sum that will never be paid.....I'd rather be having sex instead of being the one getting f'd by my own lawyers.

    The guy will send it to you eventually.

    He's clearly not the entrepreneur of the year but we also know he's not a real thief or criminal because real thieves/criminals don't make their money in this manner. I don't know exactly how they do their thieving, but I'd bet my life that this isn't one of the ways thieves make a living. We're living in a time when anyone can buy credit card numbers with full identities on the dark web for $4 per record, credit cards that actually work when you use them. I doubt any thief is going to take this path to make money instead.

    There's not even a 1% chance that he is doing this to steal your knife. But there's a 99% chance that he simply mismanaged his time, finances, and small business or at his age is dealing with a medical heath issue which I doubt because he would have reached out if he had a valid excuse. For example, no one can get angry with him if he calls you and says he had an emergency quadruple bypass or had a stroke or something, so he would have called or had his wife call etc. So I think we can rule that one out.

    This was a really long winded way to say this but the bottom line is...your sanity is worth more than that damn knife.
     
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    Dragon_Man likes this.
  11. Bill Roberts

    Bill Roberts

    31
    Jan 21, 2020
    Thank you @Boru13 !

    And thank you @Hawkfan. I agree with every single point you made. It helps.

    And thank you everyone who has expressed concern and offered helpful advice and information. It makes a real difference to not feel alone in this. Not just to me but to my wife as well. She was heartened by learning I was receiving community support, and we both truly appreciate it!
     
  12. Velitrius

    Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

    Mar 3, 2000
    I just read this thread here...

    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/stolen-knife-alert.1716687/

    Seems they are less helpful to some folks.
     
  13. knarfeng

    knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

    Jul 30, 2006
    Boru13 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page