microtech lcc or sebenza

The chris reeve sebenza coat twice as much as the mt lcc. Is it really twice the knive that the mt lcc is? If yes, why.

Both are great knives, the LCC may be a better value but the Sebbie is worth every penny. It speaks volumes about the knife that the only complaint that I have ever heard is the price. All conceed that the quality and precision of the knife is incredible. CRK customers highly praise Chris and Anne's customer service.
Stay Sharp,
Chad

------------------
Wicked Knife Co.
Hoods Woods
chad234@email.com

I don't know if the Sebenza is twice the knife because I haven't received mine yet(I hope it is here by Tuesday). However I do love my LCC. It is a great knife. I like the handle, the blade, and the 154CM seems to me to hold a very good edge.

The Sebenza is one of the all time great knives.

But not twice as much knife. The LCC is a very good knife and a great value.

I own a large, plain Sebbie and a LCC D/A. If forced to choose just one, the LCC would hit the road. Very nice knife, but not quite up to the standards set by the Sebenza. Fit and finish is not quite there and it comes up short in smoothness and fluidity as well.

If you go to the sale forum you can sometimes pick up a like new MT LCC for about $100, about the best deal on a knife for $100 out there.

You can also often pick up a like new Sebenza for about $250, about the best deal on a knife for $250 out there.

I often see people post that they think the Sebenza is overpriced but they would snap one up if it was $100 dollars less. I wonder why they don't?

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

[This message has been edited by stjames (edited 04-23-2001).]

I would snap up a new Sebbie if it was $100 less. I'm not going to pay the same price for a used one that I would for a new one.... that wouldn't make much sense.

Back on topic: personally, while the Sebbie likely has better fit-and-finish than the LCC, I do consider it overpriced, and even ignoring that, I greatly prefer the design of the LCC to that of the Sebbie.

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by e_utopia:
I greatly prefer the design of the LCC to that of the Sebbie.
</font>

Word!

I actually traded my Sebenza for an LCC D/A. The Sebenza is a very nice knife, but kind of boring to me (MANY others would disagree). Not only did I get a knife that I enjoy a lot more, but also an extra $90 bucks to boot! I love my LCC more than any other folder that I've owned- it's a real pleasure to use and carry. It feels great in my hand and looks cool too.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by e_utopia:
I would snap up a new Sebbie if it was $100 less. I'm not going to pay the same price for a used one that I would for a new one.... that wouldn't make much sense.

--JB
</font>

I am referring to the many NIB knives sold here on the forums, JB, not someone’s beater. Considering the amount of trading and selling of like new and mint knives that goes on in the custom knife world I think that saving over 25% on the cost of a knife you consider over priced would make perfect sense. But hey, it’s your money, waste it any way you want to
smile.gif

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

That is up to you. It is worth it to the general market or there would not be a waiting list for Chris Reeve. Many folks own more than one. However there are often one or more for sale in the trade forums, so some people are able to part with theirs. I had a small decorated, I decided to let it go. I am quite happy I did. I was able to trade it for three other knives. Plus a small amount of cash. These three will make great users and carry knives. The sebenza is awesome, but more for the rich folks.
<u>This is just my opinion.</u>

------------------
Brian
The first knife was probably used to cut stuff.

[This message has been edited by bteel (edited 04-23-2001).]

Well, I've had Sebbie, but returned it, at least it got me interested
smile.gif
LCC looks uhmmm, how to say, closer to ugly? ... In short IMHO Sebenza is better
smile.gif

------------------
zvis.com
Have Fun,
Alligator

For the money I would say the MT LCC is a 'better' buy. The LCC is a solid, well made production knife. The Sebenza is a well made production knife, too
wink.gif

If you want a 'best' buy check out the Camillus EDC with the 154cm blade for $65 + shipping from 1sks.com (sale supports BF as well)! EDC is even less $ than the LCC and just as tough as a Sebenza IMHO.

There are a lot of great collaborations going on right now. Its to our benefit as a consumer/end line user.
smile.gif

FYI - YES, I have owned Sebenzas and NO I no longer own any. NO, I don't own a MT LCC, but have handle several of them in the past few months (I don't like the blade shape). My Kit Carson folders are better buys IMHO.
biggrin.gif
I just got the EDC in 154cm as a gift.
smile.gif

------------------
Ray 'md2020'

ATKI member #A001042

Better?
WOW can of worms coming up!

Apples and almost oranges here, I've owned both, and while the LCC is quite a handfull of knife it is very heavy and that is my one problem with that knife. I ended up trading it off for another knife, just too heavy. Very solid in it's opening and the edge was made nice.

I prefer the Sebenza and as James pointed out you can pickup a used/experienced one for around $250 although there was just one on the forsale section for $230 which is a good price.

LCC, good knife no doubt, but in comparison I prefer the Sebenza in overall functionality.

Here is a scan of my Large and Small Sebenza with my LCC laying in the middle for size comparison.

You'll have to copy and paste this link into the address bar as Geocities isn't taking hyperlinks lately!

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/7306/lcc.jpg

G2

------------------
"The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Man, look at that picture posted by Gary (above)! How can anyone say that the Sebenza looks better (or even good period)? I'm not a fan of black blades on folders, but other than that, look at the lines and that cool carbon fiber. Oh wait. Not everyone has the same taste as me.

Plus, the Seb is so.. skinny in the hand. There's no meat to it. It does make a nice "click" when snapped open though!

------------------
John Gonzalez
Exclusive Dealer
Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works

I handled both a sebenza and LCC, MA. I kept going back to the LCC everytime. LCC was smoother and quicker, and a LOT cheaper. Sebenza was nice, but i wasn't all that impressed with it honestly. i didn't get to cut with or use either as I was in a knife store, but i handled both and the LCC seemed much nicer to me.

John, in that scan of mine the large Sebenza as a bit of stain from leather stuff around the one edge, rubs off just didn't see it at the time. But the looks of the knives aren't in question, for me at least, I bought the LCC based apon the looks and line but the handling/carrying of it I just never took a liking. While the Sebenza is thinner it does grip more secure in the hand, to me. as they say, your mileage may very...
wink.gif

(must be why there are so many other knives in the world? everyone has different tastes)

Good thing, otherwise everyone would own MY knife!
smile.gif

G2

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Oh wait. Not everyone has the same taste as me.</font>

I would have to agree.
smile.gif
I have heard the Sebenza described as a 'gray turd'.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> ...the Seb is so.. skinny in the hand. There's no meat to it.</font>

I would have to call the LCC a 'fat turd'. If I needed a blade with a 3 to 1 length to depth ratio...I would look into hatchets. I prefer slim blades, for my purposes I have no use the 'fat' ones. Actually, the Sebenza seems a bit 'chunky' to me.

Steve-O

First, I must admit to harboring some anti-Sebenza prejudice. It seems a bit plain to look at and some of its fans are well over the line into fanaticism, which always turns me off. Still, I recently bought one when I saw a good deal on the forums. I have owned an LCC for a while now.

Handling a Sebenza has convinced me that you really do get something for all that money. It isn't a mystical experience, at least for me
smile.gif
, but the superb quality of design and manufacture is evident when you use one.

Does that make it better than the LCC? I'd say that depends on what you want to do with it.

The LCC is also an excellent knife for the money (and it isn't exactly cheap either). The action is smooth. It feels great in my hand, if kind of thick in my pocket. And that blade isn't just for show; it really cuts!

I prefer the Sebenza for casual carry and general utility. I prefer the LCC for dressier carry and defensive use. Either is quite competent in either role.

And, individual taste being what it is, I carry my Kershaw Boa more often than I carry either of them.
smile.gif

There are a lot of truly great knives out there. I want to play with all of them!
wink.gif

--Bob Q

James, if you can find me a NIB Sebenza for $100 off list, I'll be impressed. I mean, if you can find me an actual NIB small Sebbie for $200, I'll probably buy it. I haven't seen anything close to that, when I've looked.

Gary: personal prefference - I find the LCC to be a very comfortable weight. I also prefer the ergonomisc of the LCC. The curved scales and large handle fit my hand much better than the Sebbie. Lockup probably isn't as strong, but neither is a fixed-blade, so that's not something I really care about.

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

Back