Microtech LCC

Is this knife really that nice? Strong?
Could someone who knows, compare it to other high quality folders? I'm not interested in the D/A, just the manual.
TIA

------------------
Buck Collectors Club Member # 572
Dedicated ELU
Knifeknut(just ask my wife)

Yes, it's that great.
i just got mine four days ago.
when it's open, it's as solid as the buck 110.
it looks great.
it feels great.
the cutting edge is ground very thin and it's got a flat grind, great for cutting.
it's a great knife, but
i'll list the not so good things because i know everyone else will tell u it's good.
-titanium bolsters scrape against hard things (keys, change, other knives in your pocket...) and leave ugly marks
-don't get serrations, the serrations don't work. microtech needs a lesson from spyderco
-the handle is big. i would try handling one first.
if you've got anythign less than medium sized hand, the knife would be too bulky.
-its heavy. very. i think it weighs in at 6 ounces and if u're not used to big knives then it's a real change.
-the clip seems small and weak (even though i haven't had problems with it) for such a big knife.

umm...thats all i can think of right now.
it's such a beautiful knife and it cuts so well.
the sheath is cool too, it's horizontal or vertical carry (anyone notice they're the same sheaths that come with gerber multitools?).

anyone know of sheaths that can be carried inside the pocket, like clipped to your pocket?
i would love to have a sheath clipped to the inside of my pocket so i don't scrape my knife up with my keys.

------------------
~Fumbler
the crazied knife weilding Sarah McLachlan fan =)

oooh...forgot to compare it to other folders.

the only tactical folder i have around that size/price is a benchmade 710BT.
the benchmade is longer but the MT feels bigger (and is bigger in every other way).
the lockup is more solid than the BM.
i love the axis lock and don't like liner locks too much but the MT is a beast. the liners are thick and i don't think it'll ever give under normal and heavy use.
the tolerences of all the parts in the MT is much better than the BM.
the blade...the cutting edge lasts longer on the MT.
it takes such a fine edge that i sharpend it lightly and tried to shave my arm and wondered why hairs weren't popping off.
it just so happens that the hairs on my arm (which are thin since i'm asian) sorta layed down and i was actually splitting the hairs the long way heehee.
overall i'd say it's better than my BM 710BT and the price difference is more than made up by the quality and looks.
the only thing about the BM that;s better is i'm more likely to put it to work because it doesn't look as good and scuff marks don't show up on G-10 like they do on titanium.

------------------
~Fumbler
the crazied knife weilding Sarah McLachlan fan =)

just get one,plain/bb. I have the serr/black and don't like either. when your bolsters get scratched up polish 'em. I've carried mine for four weeks now,and I got it secondhand and it had been used quite a bit.factory edge still shaves and I use it to cut something every day though I'm very careful with it 'cuz it's the nicest folder I've ever owned.

[This message has been edited by Brent VanZanen (edited 01-12-2001).]

I've gotten two folders recently that have the best made, sturdiest liner locks I've yet to see on production folders: the SERE 2K, and the MT LCC (previous winner likely being the Starmate, still extremely good). Yes, the LCC really is that good. Looks more like a custom knife than any production folder I've ever seen. I'm pretty surprised it doesn't cost significantly more.

I'll reiterate the point that this thing is a) massive, and b) heavy -- recently voted "folder most likely to make you walk with a limp". Oh, and get the stonewash blade -- it'll stay pretty a lot longer than the bead blast or black blades if you actually use it, and you will want to use it.

------------------
Carl /\/\/\ AKTI #A000921 /\/\/\ San Diego, California

Think this through with me ... Let me know your mind
Wo-oah, what I want to know ... is are you kind?
-- Hunter/Garcia, "Uncle John's Band"

Knife Fumbler: William Henry knives makes a sheath with a clip on it. I have several and they are nice, however, they are made for smaller size knives than the LCC.
Dave

Thanks a bunch you guys,I guess I'll have to check one out. I really don't need another heavy duty folder, but hey, that's never stopped me before!
wink.gif

I don't mind carrying it in a belt pouch, that's how I carry my Sebenza and custom 110s anyway.
Thanks again.

------------------
Buck Collectors Club Member # 572
Dedicated ELU
Knifeknut(just ask my wife)

Ive been using mine for some time now and really like it. Very nice and strong knife!

The only negative point I have is the clip. The way it has been cut out makes it a weak point. When I first get my LCC I didnt carry it for maybe a day or two when It snaged on something and bent it straight out, I didnt even feel it (Lucky I didnt lose it). I have read of this happening to some others as well.

Microtech would NOT send me a new clip, I had to send it back for them to put a new one on. They did do this free of charge though
smile.gif
And they even sent me one of the newer sheaths with the shark on it.
biggrin.gif

Since Ive gotten it back Ive been afraid to carry it by the clip, but Ive carried it now for months and so far so good. I would love to have a solid clip for it though, then I believe it would be perfect.

------------------
Keith D.Armacost
If The Women Don't Find You Handsome,
They Should At Least Find You Handy. R.G.

Yes, the clip is the weak link on the LCC.
I have the M/A, stonewash finish, and it's a fantastic knife, although I don't carry it. Why, you ask? Because of the clip. It doesn't grip my pocket very well and it's very weak.

Now, I did have a black part serrated LCC that had a very strong, grippy, clip. It was 100% better than the clip on my stonewash LCC. Anyone else notice anything like this?

------------------
mikemck@austin.rr.com

I have the bead blast plain edge #0222. I love this knife. I have small hands and it feels great. I switched from the native ltwt. to the lCC so it seemed heavy for a few days. The more I carried it the more I liked it. I have no problems with the clip. Mine is solid. Mine is currently gone to get fitted for a shoulder rig. I miss it already and it has only been one day.
frown.gif
I will be posting a review here as soon as it comes back and I get to try it out.

------------------
Brian
What is this existential quandry all about anyway?

Just a question about the LCC and a shoulder rig.

why would you get a shoulder rig for a 6oz knife? I'm not flaming, I'm just curious. It seems like overkill.

As far as the weight of the LCC, it seems very very lite compared to my Glock 23 when it's sitting behind my right hip (instead of the glock ;-)

regards,
francisB

As for where I am getting it, see my ad titled "shoulder rigs?" on the general forum. Email me for more info if you want.
FrancisB,
You may be right. We are not allowed to carry firearms in this state, so I don't know about the weight of a handgun. I always like to have a neck sheath for my folders for different reasons. I thought the LCC would be heavy for neck carry. Take into account I am 5'3" and 125lbs. And of course the cool factor plays a role. I don't even know if I will like it once I get it. But I am willing to check it out for the good of all! Look for my review soon...or don't.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Brian
What is this existential quandry all about anyway?

Hi Brian,

thanks for the info on the shoulder rig. Bummer about carry, I didn't realize Missouri wasn't CCW friendly.

I'll look up on the general forum the shoulder rig thread. it does sound interesting, I could see where it would make sense if jogging or wearing shorts etc.

regards,
Francis

FrancisB,
Yeah, Missouri sucks for CCW. We had a bill last year or so to legalize CC, but of course it failed to pass.
frown.gif
Maybe next time.

------------------
Brian
"one life, one knife"

Just a few ramblings:
The LCC is a fantastic value for the money, in spite of its weak carry clip. Inspect one side-by-side to a Sebenza and ask your self how the quality differs.

I just talked to one of my distributors this afternoon and he claims that Microtech is planning a substantial price increase on the LCC series. I would like corroboration on this from a second source...If that's the case, everyone who has purchased one last year just got a bumb in value, cause the used price market is going to reflect that. So if one is planning on buying one of these knives, new or used, ought to act prudently
wink.gif
!
Barry H

Fumbler, Go to www.magills.com or get a Lenny Magill catalog. they sell an in-the-pocket knife holster very similar to a gun holster. It is leather and has a flap at the back to keep the knife standing straight up and at the front of the pocket.It also prevents the profile from printing.It draws great and keeps the knife from being dinged up by keys,coin,etc.I haven't tried my LCC in it Because it is back at MT having the wimpy clip replaced. If it is tight, just wet down the leather and stick it in a crock pot for a half hour. Then wrap your LCC in Saran wrap and push it in.When it dries and hardens, you will have a custom fit. If it is still too tight, spray a little silicone on it and work it. You can order the knife holsters in either left or right handed versions. Good luck!
David

traded for 2 DAs.....fun knife...clip is a definite weak point.....VERY heavy knife, but well built and a lot of wow value. Personally I think they are a great deal, but I think they should work on both of these areas.

------------------
http://www.mayoknives.com
John 1:14

Back