Microtech or Guardian Tactical?

problem with microtech in my mind is their screws, i have a fixed icon, and i can't adjust the tech loch until i get a tool that will work with them and im unsure i will
another problem, i have with microtech and I've been waiting for an opportunity to say this is there "Blade steel availability" --- to explain, i have looked at Microtech knives and it said in the specs

*please note, blade steel cannot be specified as it can change depending on availability (information provided by microtech

how you you NOT know, as a company, what the steel will be?? ive not seen this from any other knife company
pardon any unintentional ignorance, but i never understood it, so i avoided the entire company up until the iconic purchase, and will likely be the only one

oh.. no, no OTF for me, for me, automatic out the side is the way to go as far as automatics go, much easier to maintain
Okay, but if there is a question of getting either a Microtech or a GT, I'm assuming it is a question regarding an OTF. Perhaps the OP can clarify.

Okay, but if there is a question of getting either a Microtech or a GT, I'm assuming it is a question regarding an OTF. Perhaps the OP can clarify.

of course, it is their thread, a clarification would help in navigating the topic more appropriately

how you you NOT know, as a company, what the steel will be?? ive not seen this from any other knife company
pardon any unintentional ignorance, but i never understood it, so i avoided the entire company up until the iconic purchase, and will likely be the only one

It's going to be XHP, Elmax, M390 or 204p. Does it really matter? It's not like you're gonna get AUS-6 on your Combat Troodon. They're teasing a lot of corrosion testing for the new Scarab model, so I'm guessing that's gonna be some flavor of LC200N or Vanax. They'll probably mark those on the dealer pages.

To OP, Microtech is the Microtech of OTFs. It's a good place to start for sure. You know they'll be around for warranty work and the selection is massive. They also hold resale value very well so if you ever decide to move on it should be fairly painless.

I'd go GT. I'm not a Microtech fan. I have 3 OTF'S, Hogue Exploit, Heretic Manticore E, and Brian Tighe and friends Twist Tighe. They are all excellent. My next OTF will most likely be a GT.

I wanted to like Guardian Tactical, but had a miserable experience with their warranty department and have no desire to go back to them. I really don't want to get into that saga again as I've put it behind me but I've had good warranty experiences with Microtech so I just trust them more. Plus GT can't seem to sell the Helix anymore as KAI's sub-frame lock patent covers it, so I wouldn't bet on those knives getting good warranty support moving forward either.

Microtech grinds their blades thinner at the edge, which is important to me, and supposedly does a decent heat treatment while offering higher wear resistance steels. Their screws are proprietary but very nicely made, so I have a set of the tools to work on them and I'm not worried about them ever stripping out or getting damaged. If it were my money, I'd go Microtech all day long (and I did, which is why I have a bunch of Microtech Socoms and no Helixes left in my collection).

Last edited:
I've been pleased with my MT knives. The problem for me is that once I got a Combat Troodon, I dont think i could go down in quality/action and be happy with it. Its the most expensive edc I have in my rotation, and I still love and use it regularly after over 4 months of daily carry.

I'm not worried about the screws. If something goes wrong, I'll ship it back to MT. If that doesn't sound like a viable choice at the time, their screws, proprietary and goofy or not, do not confound me. I can fabricate a driver that works on them in short order. My hesitation isn't getting it apart, it's getting it back together.

You just can’t beat Microtech in the world of OTF’s.there is a reason they have been the industry standard for many years..with that being said,Guardian Tactical,Heretics,Hogue and Benchmade all make a fine OTF as well but I would rather spend my money with Microtech..Speaking of Pro-Tech,would love to see them make a double action OTF.Im a big fan of Pro-Tech,not only do they make amazing autos but they are one of the few knife manufacturers who regularly make left handed side folding autos.as a leftie,that is much appreciated.I can use a right handed auto but it’s kinda awkward having to open it backwards with my finger instead of my thumb..lol

I have not had any knives from Guardian Tactical, so I don't know about them. I have had some Protech knives. I like Microtech knives a lot. They originated a lot of this type of thing and they do it very well. They make relatively small runs of knives and probably buy small batches of steel so I am guessing they sometimes have to move to another type of stell during a production run. They only use premium steels so I don't really care. I have been buying them since the start of the company in the 1990's. They are very very good.
1999SocomC-L.jpg

20200426_112003%20%281%29-L.jpg

20200426_112435%20%281%29-L.jpg

I own a Microtech Mini Socom Elite (2008?) and it came with the best edge of any folder I’ve ever had. Rock solid lockup, beautiful lines, and easy to sharpen.

Have heard good things about GT as well but never handled one.

Microtech by far. State of the art steel, no nonsense design, proven, US made, solid customer service presently. The Guardian would be appropriate for a low budget science fiction film.

Very good experiences with my MTs and Heretics. Both make excellent knives. My buddy has a Guardian Tactical and it is also a fantastic knife. Perhaps a little less "refined" than the MT, but very well built and reliable. I would not hesitate to carry OTFs from any of these three.

From a resale standpoint , Microtech would be the best. In case of troubled times,it would be an easier sell than the others.

I have a Microtech UTX-85 and a Guardian Tactical Recon-035 and I think the Guardian Tactical is better. The blade is significantly wider and the action is smoother and more satisfying in my opinion. I've never had to deal with the customer service of either company because both knives have been flawless but I like how Guardian Tactical don't void the warranty by taking the knife apart.

To be honest, you really can't go wrong with either. I think they are the two best OTF manufacturers but I just prefer Guardian Tactical.

Back