Microtech or Guardian Tactical?

I've removed and re-added microtech to my cart more times than i can count, just when i feel brave enough to hit 'confirm order' i read another "horror story" usually something to do with the MT spring or some other similar malfunction, and the proprietary screws further the apprehension, Microtech just doesn't want you in there, so they don't give you access, like other companies do, though i suppose you can buy the tool to turn the screws, a quick run through Ebay proved it to be not so easy

I've removed and re-added microtech to my cart more times than i can count, just when i feel brave enough to hit 'confirm order' i read another "horror story" usually something to do with the MT spring or some other similar malfunction, and the proprietary screws further the apprehension, Microtech just doesn't want you in there, so they don't give you access, like other companies do, though i suppose you can buy the tool to turn the screws, a quick run through Ebay proved it to be not so easy

The big microtech dealers sell the tools. Not sure which ones are sponsors here.

problem with microtech in my mind is their screws, i have a fixed icon, and i can't adjust the tech loch until i get a tool that will work with them and im unsure i will
another problem, i have with microtech and I've been waiting for an opportunity to say this is there "Blade steel availability" --- to explain, i have looked at Microtech knives and it said in the specs

*please note, blade steel cannot be specified as it can change depending on availability (information provided by microtech

how you you NOT know, as a company, what the steel will be?? ive not seen this from any other knife company
pardon any unintentional ignorance, but i never understood it, so i avoided the entire company up until the iconic purchase, and will likely be the only one

Microtech and its owner have a history of shady behavior, which is enough for me to swear them off. Guardian makes great OTFs, and ProTech makes the best side-opening autos, so it’s not like you’re starved for choice.

Microtech and its owner have a history of shady behavior, which is enough for me to swear them off. Guardian makes great OTFs, and ProTech makes the best side-opening autos, so it’s not like you’re starved for choice.

this isn't the first time i saw someone here saying that, i don't normally support a company with a purchase if they engage in unscrupulous business practice or other such shenanigans, Protechs are amazing, i have 3, i prefer OTS myself

I don't claim to know Microtech's history but they have a great Service Personnel Program, I'm not into OTFs but the LUDT and Socom Elite are as good as anything Protech produces. As a matter of fact I had to send a TR-3 1X M back because it would bounce and not lock up ordered a TR-3 Swat and once in awhile it doesn't lock up, I've also owned a Tr-5 and besides the Tr-3 Swat own a SBR. The LUDT has always locked up and has the sharpest blade out of the box knife I've ever ordered, it really is impressive can't say that for my Protech's although I still like them.

Last edited:
You should watch the birth of an ultratech series on microtechs YouTube channel. Will give a you better idea of what your buying and why they are considered the otf all others are compared to.. Either way GT or MT will get you a quality auto.

The Guardian would be appropriate for a low budget science fiction film.
Looks like you cherry picked that example. Have you seen some of the wild stuff MT has done?

My GT recon 40 is awesome and not from a low budget sci-fi movie.

dKX6Ek0.jpg

H2huSHw.jpg

c6hcUb7.jpg

my socom elite auto has slight blade play 08/2020.. so FF with microtech is still hit or miss but supposedly their warranty department has been stepping up their game.. your mileage may vary

I carried this knife quite a bit last year, I think it was in my pocket for most of 2019. Had an identical one before that in 2018 which was stolen. Had THAT one in my pocket for like 6 months straight, used it for everything... Point being, is I carried a Microtech for nearly a year straight AND I never once disassembled it. Never needed to. Just blasted it with some WD40 if it got a bit gritty inside. I understand where you’re coming from, because at one point I was a bit turned off by Microtech, but I just don’t overthink it anymore. YMMV.

This one even has torx hardware, and I don’t think I ever touched the screws except for one time when a pocket clip screw went missing. And FWIW- Microtech sent me replacement screws right to my door.

I’d buy another Microtech without question. The quality speaks for itself.

SsL0zmt.jpg

oh.. no, no OTF for me, for me, automatic out the side is the way to go as far as automatics go, much easier to maintain

I fully disagree with this. Many more issues when a side opener does not lock, very unsafe like fingers gone. If an oft fails, its safe to fix in a pinch. I gave up on side opening the day I got my first utx85.

I carried this knife quite a bit last year, I think it was in my pocket for most of 2019. Had an identical one before that in 2018 which was stolen. Had THAT one in my pocket for like 6 months straight, used it for everything... Point being, is I carried a Microtech for nearly a year straight AND I never once disassembled it. Never needed to. Just blasted it with some WD40 if it got a bit gritty inside. I understand where you’re coming from, because at one point I was a bit turned off by Microtech, but I just don’t overthink it anymore. YMMV.

This one even has torx hardware, and I don’t think I ever touched the screws except for one time when a pocket clip screw went missing. And FWIW- Microtech sent me replacement screws right to my door.

I’d buy another Microtech without question. The quality speaks for itself.

SsL0zmt.jpg

looks like a well loved and used knife, i personally suffered no disservice from microtech, not sure about the pricing on most of their models, but i definitely know the quality is there, one thing i don't understand about microtech is that the specs on the blade are ALWAYS different than the specs on the site, for example, i bought a full sized socom i was under the impression was CTS 204P, but what arrived was elmax, i look at other dealers on other sites, i zoom in on the blade and it says elmax, yet they are saying its M390, or 204P --- now i know its possible that they may be using a stock photo, but they really shouldn't, cause someone will see that and scratch their head, especially if they end up getting the knife in a steel that differs from the product specs on the site, i understand this is majorly, a seller issue and not Mirotechs, but it makes the buyer not confident that they will even get the knife in the steel that they want, and will associate the rigamarole of silliness with both the seller and microtech and not purchase from the company at the end
as always my experience is my own, the THE experience

I fully disagree with this. Many more issues when a side opener does not lock, very unsafe like fingers gone. If an oft fails, its safe to fix in a pinch. I gave up on side opening the day I got my first utx85.

something for everyone i guess, i feel confident with Protech's design and durability, i guess its the same for any side opening knife, things can fail

qbOOF4V.jpg

I love Microtech, I just am a huge fan for a few reasons. Probably good for now on autos.

something for everyone i guess, i feel confident with Protech's design and durability, i guess its the same for any side opening knife, things can fail

Definately! I still love Protech, btw the Malibu is unbeatable imo. I had 3 Protechs fail to lockup, bouncing off the stop pin if the knife was held just right. Protech took care of me, but it ended where I got refunds for them instead of keeping them. One tr3 and two tr4 models. I still have a Godson and Godfather.

Definately! I still love Protech, btw the Malibu is unbeatable imo. I had 3 Protechs fail to lockup, bouncing off the stop pin if the knife was held just right. Protech took care of me, but it ended where I got refunds for them instead of keeping them. One tr3 and two tr4 models. I still have a Godson and Godfather.

customer service makes all the difference, hopefully i never have to call them up for an issue, i ultimately prefer fixed blade for this and a myriad of other reasons, but have enough folders that i have to be mindful of maintenance --- eek, that M word:eek:

its interesting though, some people buy an OTS automatic, take it to hell and back, and no problems, never even had to take it in for any service, while some people have nothing but problems from the start --- kind of like owning a car, just lucky i guess

Watch it and don’t cut yourself.
Why would he cut himself? Are you inferring that people are more likely to cut themselves with a GT knife versus another? You seem to have some sort of grudge against Guardian Tactical. Did you cut yourself on one of them and that's why you don't like them? I'm not sure how that would happen unless someone wasn't paying attention or using it in a reckless and unsafe manner.

Back