Microtech Socom Elite - 2006 vs 2018 Comparison

Hi guys/gals,

I posted this on reddit a while back and figured you all might enjoy it as well. I recently got some of the new Socom Elites from Microtech, and wanted to compare them to the older 2006 model that I had on hand. I performed a full disassembly on each and was surprised to see how much has changed since the 2006 model, both internally and externally. Feel free to ask questions if there's something I didn't cover.

https://imgur.com/a/7r939

Nice run down. I only learned a couple days ago about this new version. On the to buy list for sure!

Some good info there. I'm still curious about the durability of a blade riding directly on the aluminum frame. I've had grit get into PB washer pivots and chew them up. Sometimes it'll polish out or it needs new washers. My Kershaw Launch 4 also has the blade ride directly on the aluminum frame. Of course I wouldn't consider the Launch 4 something that would be as likely to get beat on.

12 years later, and they still haven't managed to move the damned pocket clip. It's not like there isn't space to mount a clip on the bottom.

Personal bias gripes aside, I like that they dropped the skateboard grip-tape. I was impressed by the scalloped Ti lockbar, but am still surprised when I see the indent on the lock side of the handle where there's just a divot and screw heads. I really do like the look of this knife, but there are just little things here and there that keep me from wanting to get it. It's like they designed 4/5 of it with great attention to detail, and then stopped before putting the refining touches on it that would have 100% sold me on the model.

This is an excellent writeup, by the way. Very detailed commentary, excellent pictures, and wonderfully informative.

12 years later, and they still haven't managed to move the damned pocket clip. It's not like there isn't space to mount a clip on the bottom.

Personal bias gripes aside, I like that they dropped the skateboard grip-tape. I was impressed by the scalloped Ti lockbar, but am still surprised when I see the indent on the lock side of the handle where there's just a divot and screw heads. I really do like the look of this knife, but there are just little things here and there that keep me from wanting to get it. It's like they designed 4/5 of it with great attention to detail, and then stopped before putting the refining touches on it that would have 100% sold me on the model.

This is an excellent writeup, by the way. Very detailed commentary, excellent pictures, and wonderfully informative.

Thanks, glad you liked it.

Microtech did make the Socom Delta with tip up carry, but I found it didn't actually carry all that well. The way the knife tapers sort of lends itself to tip down carry. This is the only knife I've ever had that I thought carried better in tip down configuration.

It's funny you mention the lock divot. Oddly enough, I actually kind of like the look of it. The whole knife has this bizarre sort of machine vibe to it.

Some good info there. I'm still curious about the durability of a blade riding directly on the aluminum frame. I've had grit get into PB washer pivots and chew them up. Sometimes it'll polish out or it needs new washers. My Kershaw Launch 4 also has the blade ride directly on the aluminum frame. Of course I wouldn't consider the Launch 4 something that would be as likely to get beat on.

I'm not sure how well it would hold up to dirt, actually. However, there is a semi-infamous video on YouTube of some drunk people trying to break an old socom elite that you should watch.

I know that hogue does the same thing with their button lock folders too.

Where would one pick up one of these new Socom Elites?

They're a bit hard to find and seem to sell out in minutes. I got mine at eKnives and Hollowgrind. I'd recommend going on to microtech's site and checking out their dealer list. I ended up keeping 15 tabs open on my browser for a bunch of different dealers and refreshing them daily until someone had them in stock.

Hopefully these become more widely available soon. I used to have many Socom Elites and I sold them all, which I regret badly.

I had a 20cv Elite that outcut just about anything I have ever used.

I have wanted one for almost six years, so to say I was excited to finally be able to buy one was an understatement. I just received mine about thirty minutes ago and am loving it! I can't believe how smooth it is right out of the box. The blade free falls closed and the first time I closed it I nearly cut myself :eek:

I bought a Socom Elite around 2012. I admired a lot of things about it but I absolutely hated the weak closed detent.

Great job. I worked the triple the other day and then grab breakfast at a diner. You're awesome review kept me awake and engaged.

Hey fellas and lucky owners! Could u pls confirm the liner is made of titanium alloy? Tnx in advance

I was finally able to purchase a instock Socom Elite this week waiting for it to come in maybe Sat I hope.

fvQiMw.jpg

My 2018 Socom arrived I have to say it’s a very nice knife. Everything about it machining, assembly and finish is spot on. Can’t find a thing to gripe about and yes it’s crazy smooth to open/close.

I do like the overall design and feel to the Socom it’s a blade I will carry afield. I’m a huge Stitch auto fan if you can’t tell from the picture I carry one almost daily and the Socom isn’t overwhelmed by the auto Stitch in coolness or function.

This may shock a few people I could end up buying two Socom’s :)

Last edited:
I’m loving mine too, just hoping to find one with plain edge.

When I think knife- this is the shape/profile that I see.

Back