Microtech's RAM lock discussion

romanjoe

Basic Member
Hi guys, I have recently acquired 2 of newer Microtechs - Amphibian and MSI, both features RAM lock. It works fine, locks good, fidget friendly, etc, but I have some doubts, which I want to discuss:

1. There are some videos posted already on Youtube, when lock fails if you hit a desk with blade's spine couple times - basically RAM lock disengages.

2. Thoughts on why RAM head does not go for the whole blade, when locked, only like a 5-6 mm, when it appeared to be able to move another 5-6 mm, so engagement would be like half an inch.

a0ktIhH.jpg

I see this on all videos, so it is not only on my knifes. I see one folk on Youtube even used to modify an engagement part of a blade to force RAM head lock further:

3. What is you experience with RAM lock comparing with others of same type. I still think, that Demko is king here with his Shark lock.

Cheers

Last edited:
1. There are some videos posted already on Youtube, when lock fails if you hit a desk with blade's spine couple times - basically RAM lock disengages.
Avoid hitting desk with spine.

2. Thoughts on why RAM head does go for the whole blade, when locked, only like a 5-6 mm, when it appeared to be able to move another 5-6 mm, so engagement would be like half an inch.
Probably for wear over time. Axis locks from benchmade are similar.

3. What is you experience with RAM lock comparing with others of same type. I still think, that Demko is king here with his Shark lock.
No personal experience with this particular lock but it likely functions perfectly fine when using the knife as a knife.

If to be used for SD , knife spine could be hit hard .

Some other types of hard use can also put stresses opposite the normal .

Why take any risk ? Lock should function as close as possible to a fixed blade , IMO .
thats why i love the tri-ad.

I haven't tried microtech ram lock yet......

quick off topic.....doc ya see Demko has a forum now here with Mike Wallace as mod

If to be used for SD , knife spine could be hit hard .

Some other types of hard use can also put stresses opposite the normal .

Why take any risk ? Lock should function as close as possible to a fixed blade , IMO .
If you have to use a knife for self defense, you've got more serious problems than a knife lock.

That's not to say that a maker shouldn't make the knife as flawless as possible but these worries about knife locks due to spine wracking border on ridiculous.

If you have to use a knife for self defense, you've got more serious problems than a knife lock.

That's not to say that a maker shouldn't make the knife as flawless as possible but these worries about knife locks due to spine wracking border on ridiculous.
We are fundamentally disagreed .

But this is not Practical Tactical .

I do believe a Microtech should be able to handle some SD/ hard use , if it's not just for hanky pics ?

I decided to buy one of these ram locks. I expect the gap is for wear over time as J Doyle said already.

I'm not worried about whacking the spine hard..and I expect using it, to do cutting, will seat further without doing a bunch of mod work like the video guy did. he probably just took years off the knifes use.

Avoid hitting desk with spine.

Probably for wear over time. Axis locks from benchmade are similar.

No personal experience with this particular lock but it likely functions perfectly fine when using the knife as a knife.
thanks for answer, actually I was ready to hear exactly these answers, just wanted to be sure I'm not alone on that!

I saw that video. I've tapped the spine of one of mine and nothing happened, and I don't get lock movement when using static force against the spine of the blade. I imagine the user's defective knife had an issue with lockup, and increasing lockup percentage was a band-aid fix for the real issue.

First off all let me reassure you that you are not wrong. This is a problem again this is a problem, it is a defect, it should not happen, I have seen the videos and both people cut their hands even with gloves. I love the concept of the RAM lock, this has kept me from buying one.

LISTEN UP MICROTECH !!!!!

I WILL NOT BUY THIS KNIFE IF IT CONTINUES TO HAVE THESE PROBLEMS IT IS A BIG DEAL WITH PEOPLE LIKE ME. I WOULD HAVE BROUGHT THIS QUICKLY IF IT WERE NOT FOR THIS.

MICROTECH DON'T LISTEN TO PEOPLE WHO PROBABLY ARE NOT EVEN GOING TO BUY THIS WHEN THEY WHINE ABOUT NOT HAVING EARLY LOCKUP OR THE ABILITY OF A KNIFE TO BE UNLOCKED BY A BABY'S FINGERS SO THEY CAN PERFORM CHILDISH FLIP/DROP SHUT TRICKS.

STICK TO YOUR POLICY OF NO COMPROMISE IN QUALITY.

I AM SURE THE DESIGNER OF THIS LOCK DID NOT INTEND FOR THIS DANGEROUS ALTERATION TO HIS DESIGN.

AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED THE GUY IN THE YOUTUBE VIDEO FIXED THIS ISSUE AND PROVED IT ON VIDEO.

IT DID NOT LOOK LIKE A STOP GAP FIX TO ME. IT LOOKED LIKE A REPAIR WITH A DEMONSTRATION AS PROOF AND I WILL TAKE THAT ANY TIME OVER THE WORD OF SOME GUY WHO TRIES TO CONVINCE ME THAT THIS IS ALL NORMAL AND A KNIFE OF THAT KIND WITH THAT SORT OF A LOCK IS MEANT TO BE USED IN THE SAME WAY AS A CASE SLIP JOINT.

I really want to buy one of these and considered doing the repair myself but that is risky since I am not an experienced expert in this type of fix job and reading a lot the garbage people claim about this being normal makes me not want to buy one out of principle even if I could fix it.

I have also seen a Glycon OTF lock fail on youtube (same guy.) It makes a strong case for having double locking tabs like the Sand Shark despite what people think they know when they claim it's not needed, maybe it's not but let tell you something it surely is not a bad thing to have (double locking tabs.) This does not piss me off as much because unlike with a folder such as the RAM LOCK MSI you will not get hurt because an OTF can not fold closed on your fingers and correction is just a simple flick. It is disappointing though. If it becomes a notable constant headache (if it happens too easily and frequently) with a lot of users it can hurt sales.

Last edited:
I received a Ram-Lok Stitch with aluminum handles last week Friday. Manufacture date August 2023. Gave the spine three light taps on my wood work bench and the lock failed. Did it again and it failed again. There’s definitely an issue with my copy of the Stitch. Immediately packed the knife and sent back to Microtech for warranty work. Fingers crossed they fix it. I guess I’ll know in a couple of weeks or so. Otherwise it’s a fabulous design.

i got one today. I didn't beat on it, but it didn't collapse under hard spine pressure towards close or from a few stronger taps.
View attachment 2368742
View attachment 2368741
Really wish they would’ve left the choil off of the blade. I was strongly considering picking up one of the frn versions but this lock issue seems to be pretty prevalent. How do you like it so far?

This is giving me flashbacks to the thread about the Mini Adamas being crappy because a few YouTubers got the lock to disengage. Shoot, this even reminds of the ZT 0350 issues. I’m not discounting the problem, it needs to be addressed.

Back