Recommendation? Mid-Tech to High End Folders - Pics and specs please.

Hale Storm

Kydex Whisperer
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm in the process of possibly selling/trading in other low to mid tech folders for something in the next price range. I have too many low to mid tech ($70.00 - $250.00) knives and I'm considering pairing that down to 2-4 more expensive knives to rotate through the edc.
I'm familiar with a few brands - CRK, Benchmade Gold Class, etc. but not much else.
I'd like to see some folders in a different class with some specs if possible.
We can keep it simple and if I see something I like, I can look up all the specs myself.

Here's my criteria:

• NO China or Taiwan. I don't care how well they're made.
  • U.S.A., Italian, German, Spanish, etc. You get the idea.
  • $250.00 to $700.00 range (new or used ok)
  • Blade length over 3" (I don't expect to see the exact measurement on every post; just keep it simple like, over 3.5" or a little less than 4", I can look at all the specs if the knife makes my "want one" list. I like bigger knives since I'm a big guy with XL hands.
  • Readily available - Production knives preferred versus customs or semi-customs. I have no problem buying customs but I'm not in the market to order one and get on the waiting lists. I want to do this now and have the knives in a few days if I buy/trade.
  • NO slip joints - I have plenty and this is about modern folders with modern materials and pocket clips, etc.
  • Premium Stainless Steels (Super Steels) - M390, CPM-20CV, Elmax, S35VN, Damascus, etc. Collection 2.jpg

Off the top of my head... Any shirogorov... Olamic Wayfarer 247 (or whatever model strikes your fancy), Hinderer XM-18... I'll come back and post pics later.

Side note... What case is that you have your knives in? I like it.

bMJcDfM.jpg

LOL But seriously, in that realm I'd be looking at Olamics (I'd troll Ebay or a few of the consignment sites, Wayfarers can be had relatively inexpensively these days), CRKs, and maybe a Hinderer XM-24. Also, frankly, there are a few Lionsteels in that price range that are really catching my eye.

To add to the above suggestions, which I agree with, I think Koenig and Holt are worth checking out too. I've had my eye on their stuff but haven't tried out yet.

bMJcDfM.jpg

LOL But seriously, in that realm I'd be looking at Olamics (I'd troll Ebay or a few of the consignment sites, Wayfarers can be had relatively inexpensively these days), CRKs, and maybe a Hinderer XM-24. Also, frankly, there are a few Lionsteels in that price range that are really catching my eye.

kizewevivi bois. That is some funny shit right there. No offense meant to the makers or the customers but I, personally, just can't and won't buy those knives from Communist China. My $.02. YMMV

kizewevivi bois. That is some funny shit right there. No offense meant to the makers or the customers but I, personally, just can't and won't buy those knives from Communist China. My $.02. YMMV
Maybe you should take Taiwan off the NO WAY list, since it is a democratic nation ;)

Off the top of my head... Any shirogorov... Olamic Wayfarer 247 (or whatever model strikes your fancy), Hinderer XM-18... I'll come back and post pics later.

Side note... What case is that you have your knives in? I like it.

Olamic comes up a few times already.

That is a sunglass storage case. I got the idea from another member the same way you just did. I saw a post of a knife laying on top and asked what the case was underneath. They make them that hold 6, 12, or 18. Less than $40.00 online and much better than what I was using. This Acrylic makeup organizer works well too. I put the black shelf liner in each drawer to keep things in place but it works well on traditionals and the sunglass case on the larger modern knives, even small fixed blades. This is a 6 drawer. About $20-$30 online

Traditionals 2.jpg

Olamic comes up a few times already.

That is a sunglass storage case. I got the idea from another member the same way you just did. I saw a post of a knife laying on top and asked what the case was underneath. They make them that hold 6, 12, or 18. Less than $40.00 online and much better than what I was using. This Acrylic makeup organizer works well too. I put the black shelf liner in each drawer to keep things in place but it works well on traditionals and the sunglass case on the larger modern knives, even small fixed blades. This is a 6 drawer. About $20-$30 online

View attachment 1275475

I actually keep knives in these exact cases myself. They're pretty great.

Maybe you should take Taiwan off the NO WAY list, since it is a democratic nation ;)
No disrespect fonedork, but you assume that Taiwan is on the "no buy" list in relation to the fact that China is a communist nation. That is not the case.
While I realize they are a democratic nation at the moment, I'm sure a quick google search will show you that the government has changed early and often over there so who and how is running it is suspect at the moment, and it could change in the next election.
The real reason (not that it matters) is that I don't want to buy Taiwan goods. Simple as that. I love a lot of Spyderco's but I never buy those made in Taichung. That's just me. I know they're good quality at certain levels. I just can't see myself using my $300.00 knife made in Taiwan right next to a guy using a $3.00 knife made in Taiwan. YMMV

No disrespect fonedork, but you assume that Taiwan is on the "no buy" list in relation to the fact that China is a communist nation. That is not the case.
While I realize they are a democratic nation at the moment, I'm sure a quick google search will show you that the government has changed early and often over there so who and how is running it is suspect at the moment, and it could change in the next election.
The real reason (not that it matters) is that I don't want to buy Taiwan goods. Simple as that. I love a lot of Spyderco's but I never buy those made in Taichung. That's just me. I know they're good quality at certain levels. I just can't see myself using my $300.00 knife made in Taiwan right next to a guy using a $3.00 knife made in Taiwan. YMMV
No worries, I don't feel disrespected in the least (hope you don't either), nor can I think of a knife that comes out of Taiwan other than certain Spyderco and Cold Steel models, so it's probably a moot point anyway since you're looking to step up to a higher price point. Back on topic, I thought I'd add Gavko to the list of high end makers to check out.

No worries, I don't feel disrespected in the least (hope you don't either), nor can I think of a knife that comes out of Taiwan other than certain Spyderco and Cold Steel models, so it's probably a moot point anyway since you're looking to step up to a higher price point. Back on topic, I thought I'd add Gavko to the list of high end makers to check out.
Ahh. Gavko. Forgot about our friend from Ukraine. Good recommendation.

P.S. I'm not offended at all. I'm considered an old codger by most so I'm not that sensitive. LOL

Non-Standard Suggestion: The all-Ti, M390 Real Steel Megalodon (2017 model) is a framelock flipper that retails for $207, so it technically doesn’t meet your criteria. It’s not available everywhere, but if you google “Real Steel Megalodon 2017 for sale” you’ll quickly find vendors that have it in stock. This is the only non-CRK knife that I’ve ever bought more than one of. I find it to be a superior knife and a superior bargain. The materials, design, fit and finish on mine are all excellent.
Standard Suggestions: CRK Sebenza 21 or 31 (21 is available, 31 is just starting to become available), Olamic Wayfarer 247 and maybe the bottom end of the Shirogorov menu(?).
Over The Top Suggestion: You could have a CRK Sebenza with inlays and a Damascus blade for $750. The price is ~$50 over the top of your range, but the knife is an absolute beauty.

Happy shopping.

I'll try suggesting something different from those listed above ...

The new ZT 308? Made in America with 3.75" of CPM 20CV. At low end of your range so you could snag something to go with it.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Zero-Tolerance-0308-Flipper-Knife--105980

3 Rivers Manufacturing Atom. Made in America with 3.5" of 20CV. I like the red linen micarta. Not enough micarta in folders imo. Looks nice for $200. Really under your budget.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Three-Rivers-Manufacturing-Atom--97061

CRK and Olamic are what initially popped into my head when reading your post.

Medford works in S35VN too. Many are in the $550+ range. He has some "non-chunky" designs in addition to the biguns.

Last edited:
Non-Standard Suggestion: The all-Ti, M390 Real Steel Megalodon (2017 model) is a framelock flipper that retails for $207, so it technically doesn’t meet your criteria. It’s not available everywhere, but if you google “Real Steel Megalodon 2017 for sale” you’ll quickly find vendors that have it in stock. This is the only non-CRK knife that I’ve ever bought more than one of. I find it to be a superior knife and a superior bargain. The materials, design, fit and finish on mine are all excellent.
Standard Suggestions: CRK Sebenza 21 or 31 (21 is available, 31 is just starting to become available), Olamic Wayfarer 247 and maybe the bottom end of the Shirogorov menu(?).
Over The Top Suggestion: You could have a CRK Sebenza with inlays and a Damascus blade for $750. The price is ~$50 over the top of your range, but the knife is an absolute beauty.

Happy shopping.
- 1 point. Real Steel is made in CHINA. Quote from the OP, "NO China or Taiwan. I don't care how well they're made". :D

I'll try suggesting something different from those listed above ...

The new ZT 308? Made in America with 3.75" of CPM 20CV. At low end of your range so you could snag something to go with it.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Zero-Tolerance-0308-Flipper-Knife--105980

3 Rivers Manufacturing Atom. Made in America with 3.5" of 20CV. I like the red linen micarta. Not enough micarta in folders imo. Looks nice for $200. Really under your budget.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Three-Rivers-Manufacturing-Atom--97061

CRK and Olamic are what initially popped into my head when reading your post.

Medford works in S35VN too. Many are in the $550+ range. He has some "non-chunky" designs in addition to the biguns.

I'll have to check the "non-chunky" models. I owned a Praetorian before and it was useless for edc.

Back