Mike ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in case this is of interest to anyone. Most of what has been mentioned in this and other recent threads about stellite is in reference to stellite 6. There are now many other types of stellite and what Mike is using in Sharpfusion is stellite 12. From what I understand the rollover problem of stellite 6 does not occur with 12.

Here is a link to see the difference between the different types of stellite.
http://www.stellite.com/alloycast.html

We should wait and see what kind of results Mike gets before condemning the whole process. It may turn out to be very worthwhile.

Shane, there was no motive in my apology other than to say I was wrong. I want to make it clear that I do not enjoy this discussion and that Mike Snody and I settled our issues in private quite a while ago. We see differently in this matter and respect each other's idea's even if we do share the other's viewpoint.

Please, please Shane, I'm begging you here, do not belittle what you do not understand. I'm fully aware of EB welding. I know that the forms of stellite that are in bar stock are chemically different than those in powder, weld rod and wire form. I understand carbide formation and the ways industry sees fit to overcome the inherent drawback of brittleness. I also understand that you are personal friends with Mike and I respect that as well. As you no doubt respect that I am friend's with Schwarzer and Harley. I've spent literally months with those two and find them, contrary to the way this thread seems to be going, intelligent, articulate, driven individuals who have spent many years in pursuit of their trade. For that matter so have I and though I am still learning I think I have come al least part of the grand journey.

That said, I still did not see why satellite is the chosen material for Mike's process when others hold more promise. Mike answered my question in a private email and I will let it stand at that.

As for what I am guilty of, well, I will let you decide when the cutting test results are in.

Richard Furrer
Sturgeon Bay, WI

Richard and I have agreed to disagree.

We will never agree on this subject and we both know that.

He has stated his view points I have stated mine.

Please, please Shane, I'm begging you here, do not belittle what you do not understand. I'm fully aware of EB welding. I know that the forms of stellite that are in bar stock are chemically different than those in powder, weld rod and wire form. I understand carbide formation and the ways industry sees fit to overcome the inherent drawback of brittleness. I also understand that you are personal friends with Mike

Richard, why are you responding to a topic that Shane posted that was not directed at you?

Shane adressed the fact that the Stellite family of alloys is a large and diverse group.

He did not suggest in any shape, form or fashion that "YOU" did not already know that.

He was not adressing you. Why are you now patronizing him?

How do you know what he understands in regards to this subject.

Richard, these threads have gotten over 4k hits. I would venture to say that many of the people here at the forums have conducted a considerable amount of research on this subject.
I certainly know that the majority of my customers have.

There is no doubt in my mind that you are aware of these facts.
There is also no doubt in my mind that many of the people who are referring to "Stellite" in these threads are unaware of the fact that there are in reality over a dozen different alloys in the Stellite family. What are the differences in these alloys?
The answer is only a click away.

Mike Snody

Guys, take your arguments to email or to the "Bladesmith Question and Answer Forum". We've lost sight of custom knives and the bickering is getting tiresome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back