1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

military toughness

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by msierant, Aug 27, 2012.

1. msierant

msierant

Feb 24, 2009
    hello all,
    am gonna send my buddy's son a military over in afghanistan. have used and owned many spyderco's but was wondering on some thoughts on this one. realize it's not a fixed blade but have any of you folks had any feedback from gi's that have used it. feels good in the hand and sure is a nice weight for the size. am just torn on it's durability. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks and best regards.
    mike

2. majormountaineer

majormountaineer

May 8, 2012
    Which one are you talking about? I might have missed it but which knife are you thinking about sending him?

3. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Msierant,

The Military model was designed to be an effective cutting tool for the Soldier. It's not the one you dig with, pry with, hammer with, that's what your duty knife is for. This is the one you cut with. It was designed to be very light for it's size. (The most important part about a knife is that you have it with you when you need it. If it's too heavy or bulky, you may choose not to carry it). We made the blade as long as we feel would be useful and practical. Any larger and the handle becomes large. We use the best American steels and scale materials for performance and low maintenance. We've been refining the design for 15 years. Hope that helps.

sal

4. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    I've carried a Military for years and used it ungently. If he knows the difference between a cutting tool and a prying tool, he'll be fine.

5. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Didya get one?

6. thebrain

thebrain

Dec 12, 2007
    I had one and I likes it but the tip felt thin for me ,I am sure it was stout enough but I "felt" like I might snap it off. Probably just me ,it was a great cutter and pretty comfortable in hand but I like the Para 2 better.

7. bigmark408

bigmark408 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Most folder use will most likely be MRE's & mail.

8. Chris Pierce

Chris Pierce Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 15, 2006
    I carried my Military while working on fishing boats for several months. It was great! I really like the knife. It'll be great for anyone who wants a knife to cut with. You might also give him a small pry bar or a small heavy fixed blade if you think he'll try something silly with his Military.

9. Ankerson

Ankerson Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    While the Military wasn't available when I served I do carry one everyday and use them at work so yes as long as it's not used as a pry-bar it will do great.

Best folder design I have ever used, cuts great and has excellent blade and edge geometry, and with that large belly and large handle one can really get some force going if needed.... and it's affordable.

10. msierant

msierant

Feb 24, 2009
    hello forum,
    as always, this is a great place to get advice and suggestions. no doubt will send him this military. he's in an armor support group on his 3rd deployment total. iran and afghanistan. a good kid who respects tools for what they are. am sure he won't try to pry a link-pin on a tow chain. as you all agree, the military is one hell of a blade. great ergo's, weight ratio, and overall quality. always liked mine but haven't been in a combat theater for 40 years. my randall 14 was and is a boat anchor so the buck 110 got the most usage. at least it didn't rust. for all you older vets, you know we didn't have a lot to choose from. sal hit on a winner with the military and para. used as it was intended will not fail him. have to add my opinion on some of the videos that are on you-tube. i myself would never buy a griptilian after seeing if fail by stepping on it between two 2x4's. definitely an inferior knife. got to wonder who would think ANY folder could survive some of these so-called 'hard use tests'. having owned knives from all the top rated companies [spyderco, kershaw, benchmade and zt] i've never been disappointed by any product that was used for it's intended purpose. anyway, thanks again to all and best regards. keep our troops in your prayers.
    mike

11. Twindog

Twindog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2004
    The Military is a great knife. Extremely well built. In their concern over whether a pocket knife can split open a tank like a tuna can, they forget that the long, pointy flat grind blade will out cut most other knives by a good margin.

12. Rider675

Rider675

Feb 15, 2012
    The Resilience is worthy of consideration. Doesn't have such a precise tip and it's heavier, but fills a similar role. The military is my favorite knife, though im not sure which is tougher.

13. ohmyheckinslc

ohmyheckinslc Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 4, 2005
    I live in hope of Spyderco offering a Millie in a flat saber grind similar to the gen 4 Enduras... (pre-FFG)

14. bdmicarta

bdmicarta Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2012
    I think if I was buying something for military use I would choose a Manix 2 XL.

15. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    With any luck, I'll have a heart attack and die just before that happens.

16. 13aphomet

13aphomet Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2012
    This!

17. HuntBomb

HuntBomb

Sep 18, 2009
    G10 and S30V are some tough stuff. NTM Carbon Fiber and M390.
    I have a few and EDC them constantly.

18. Monofletch

Monofletch Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2010
    The Military would be perfect. I carried a Gerber fixed blade (Gator fixed I think) and a Gerber multi tool- . But I was on a tank crew. Probably a world of different uses.

19. jnichols2

jnichols2

Jul 10, 2012
    msierant,

What you are wanting to send your buddy's son is a true "tactical knife". Not for cutting bad guys up, but for daily use in a tactical/deployed situation. Yes, he will open mail and MREs, but he will also cut para cord, wires, duct tape, and many other things. Also, the chow hall has plastic knives. When I was in Iraq they served steak on Friday, and a tactical knife had to serve as the steak knife.

I carried my CRKT M16-13T through four tours in Iraq. Not a day passed that I didn't need it several times. It was a good knife, but now that I have a military I wish that was the one I had then.

Get the black G-10 handle and the black blade. Because it looks "tacti-cool" ?? No, because the sun won't flash off of it and give a sniper a target.

20. JDunn709

JDunn709

Jan 7, 2009
    [video=youtube;po0g8g8awzo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po0g8g8awzo&feature=plcp[/video]

Looks tough to me! It'll probably be plain edge but the video still shows the strength of the handle, lock, etc