Miners axe, rafting axe, construction axe

Thanks for the clarification. It would be nice to see someone order a 5 lb. Council Dayton and see what arrives.

I recall a time not long ago, maybe 5-8 years, where Council's webpage showed a rafting pattern under their 'Miner's axe' listing but were shipping a Dayton pattern as their miner. It could be that they are now shipping a rafting pattern and calling it a Dayton. I'd look at the poll and eye and make my own decision about what to call it.

Apparently Bailey's has been selling this rafting pattern as their falling axe for over 7 years.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/rafting-axe.895103/#post-10159230
At one point Bailey's was importing the pattern from China. (Perhaps Council stopped making it.) The current axe is clearly marked 'Made in USA' with a stamp identical to Council's date stamp.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/rafting-axe.895103/page-2#post-10166848

And as I pointed out in that earlier thread,
"The poll will also be wider, (+/-) 1-1/2”. This allows for considerably greater steel thickness in the eye. This is a key to rafting axes. Without the thickened eye walls they couldn't withstand use as a maul."
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/rafting-axe.895103/page-2#post-16973574

Here's another example of Council images not matching up with product.

Bailey's lists a
"Council Tool Dayton Miner's Axe (3.5 lbs.) with 26" Handle 35MD26"
https://www.baileysonline.com/counc...axe-3-5-lbs-with-26-handle-35md26-35md26.html
35MD26_2_7.jpg

Council lists the same model axe
"3.5# Miner’s Axe Dayton Pattern; 26″ Straight Wooden Handle 35MD26"

http://counciltool.com/shop/dayton-...axe-dayton-pattern-26-straight-wooden-handle/
35md26.jpg

Clearly two different axes but with the same Council sku code.

Bailey's could be using an old image for Council's Miner's Axe. As I said before I recall a time when Council's webpage showed a rafting pattern as their miner's axe but they were actually shipping a short-handled Dayton pattern.

I have a few rafting axes other than Plumbs. And they all vary from that Plumb pattern which I think is the nicest.
No surprise Council's version would be a little less refined than the Plumb.

I'd like to see some of your rafters when you have a chance and if you don't mind. I love seeing how the vary from maker to maker.

I concur that the Plumb is the cream of the crop although True Temper made some really nice ones that are close.

Here's what I have on hand. I've sold a couple over the years and sometimes regret it.

Rafters%201.jpg

The 2 hung axes on the left are Plumb waffle polls, my favorite. The short one I bought from Bernie Weisgerber. He told me he got it in Butte, MT. where is was used in the big mine. The 2 unhung axes next to those are both Plumbs. The black one is a never hung Dreadnaught with a poll that was milled flat at the factory.

The next 3 hung axes are a Walters, a Forest King and the new Baileys. The unhung axes on right are, top to bottom, Warren Old Faithful, Stiletto/True Temper (note the small chip in the hardened poll), 4lb Collins with a loggers stamp welded on and lastly another Walters, this one with massively thick eye walls.

Rafters%202.jpg

Plumb, Plumb, Warren, Stiletto, Collins, Walters

One more photo just because who doesn't love looking at a bunch of rafting axes.
Rafters%203.jpg

Last edited:
The Plumbs

5 lb waffle, 4 lb waffle, 4 lb flat, 5 lb flat, 5lb waffle. 26" and 28", the original permabond is 25"
Wt9uBKW.jpg

xRRgnFD.jpg

SxeDQoE.jpg

Collins, hardened poll 36"
6cHwcTt.jpg

NvPwXkQ.jpg

A 28 inch "M 5", and Unsure on the 28" orange one. It's a real brute, 1.75" wide poll. Neither of these has a real hard poll, but the M5 is somewhat hard. The old logger I got the orange "tapered sledge" from said he kept the handle good in his pickup by liberal application of bar oil a few times a year. Apparently he used it to drive track pins back in a D8 once. I had a few other soft poll unmarked ones I've let go too.
O28GO7a.jpg

hnTLdZU.jpg

Sorry to hear the redhead's not hardened S Square_peg but I'm sure it'll still beat up a wedge when needed:)

Last edited:
I am practically lusting for a rafting axe but they are scarce in SE KY, now I think I know why, you fellows have them all hoarded up.......kidding. I have never seen one “in the wild” and have bid some outrageous bids but someone always wants them $1 more than my bid. But I am a patient man as I have more time than money. I will stumble on to one someday. In the meantime, keep those photos rolling. We all have our favorites and I love Connies and Rafting patterns.

I am practically lusting for a rafting axe but they are scarce in SE KY, now I think I know why, you fellows have them all hoarded up.......kidding. I have never seen one “in the wild” and have bid some outrageous bids but someone always wants them $1 more than my bid. But I am a patient man as I have more time than money. I will stumble on to one someday. In the meantime, keep those photos rolling. We all have our favorites and I love Connies and Rafting patterns.

A rafter is one pattern I still don't own either. It's one I definitely want but when the money is there and opportunity presents it's always something else that comes home. But looking at these PILES of rafting patterns is making me realize how badly I really need one...I know where I'll post it when I get it finally.
Thanks for sharing the pics guys! Fun to look at for sure.

Bumping this thread to show a new acquisition, a Welland Vale full size hammer poll axe I just received from Hamilton, Ontario, about 20 miles from the old Welland Vale factory. It came with a slim 35" vintage handle with a nice big swell. I don't know if it's original. It's marked 'Genuine Hickory'.
MzLr6OV.jpg

Also came with a steel cap wedge.
RSIRPbF.jpg

The handle is straight with perfect grain alignment. The swell is 1-5/8" wide.
cMIibTE.jpg

There are a couple nicks in the poll.
Ao7cGbZ.jpg

There is no overstrike damage.
gQs1WTX.jpg

The swell is long with the 'hook' for the little finger far forward from the end of the swell, just as I like them.
KbqDoZi.jpg

When I grip an axe I want the hook far enough forward that the end of the swell doesn't wind up in my palm where it will raise a hot spot. The swell should always continue through the palm.
jBJYKXR.jpg

Bumping this thread to show a new acquisition, a Welland Vale full size hammer poll axe I just received from Hamilton, Ontario, about 20 miles from the old Welland Vale factory. It came with a slim 35" vintage handle with a nice big swell. I don't know if it's original. It's marked 'Genuine Hickory'.
MzLr6OV.jpg

RSIRPbF.jpg

cMIibTE.jpg

Ao7cGbZ.jpg

gQs1WTX.jpg

The swell is long with the 'hook' for the little finger far forward from the end of the swell, just as I like them.
KbqDoZi.jpg

When I grip an axe I want the hook far enough forward that the end of the swell doesn't wind up in my palm where it will raise a hot spot. The swell should always continue through the palm.
jBJYKXR.jpg
That is a great find! Good job!!!!

MzLr6OV.jpg

RSIRPbF.jpg

cMIibTE.jpg

Ao7cGbZ.jpg

gQs1WTX.jpg

KbqDoZi.jpg

jBJYKXR.jpg
What a fine example. It's gorgeous man, congrats!

S Square_peg
Your my hero! That's an amazing collection, three generations of my family worked anaconda and other mines in butte.
Wish I had known there was so many axes to be had in maple Valley when I worked for Malcom drilling and lived there.
I'd post pics of the couple rafters I have, but for once, can't figure it out.

That a sweet rafter! I think the Flint Edges and the Plumbs are the cream of the crop.
Thank you and don't think too much, it's the truth.
The 3 line flint edges new handle is soaking up oil now and just stuck a factory TT 26 on the 2 line, deciding if it's going to live there...
First plumb hits my door this week courtesy a buddy in kentucky,I'm excited.

Back