Miscellaneous Fish Pics

I had a fairly decent day on an umbrella rig this afternoon. In about 3 hours fishing time I got around 20 bites and landed 8 or 9 (I lost exact count in all the fun) of them. I didn't catch any big ones but the ones I did catch were fun. I was using a Curado 301E on a Cumara A umbrella rig rod spooled with 25# P-Line CXX. My 4 outside baits were NetBait Little Spankies and the center bait was a R.I. Skinny Dipper all in Sexy Shad color.

372013arig2_zps50b44b47.jpg

372013arig3_zpsd65429d0.jpg

372013arig4_zps88dca7b6.jpg

372013arig5_zps60a04357.jpg

372013arig1_zpsb08f1c45.jpg

dont have a pic yet but i was fishing at a pond yesterday and met a park ranger who was looking at the water in a weird way like he was looking for somthing i asked him how he was doing and what he was up to he told me that he has personally see somthing that looks like and eel but he has no idea if there was such thing as a texas fresh water eel. im not sure if there is such thing but i thought it could be a pet that was released there trying to catch it so ima do some night fishing there and see if i can catch it and bring it to the rangers i think it would be cool plus they said it was ok if i tried. so hope i catch it if i do ill post some pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

looks like and eel but he has no idea if there was such thing as a texas fresh water eel. so hope i catch it if i do ill post some pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check out this site about these two eel-like fish, http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/exotic/snakehead_bowfin.phtml. I did a graduate school project on the Northern Snakehead and from what I learned they are nasty, invasive fish. You say that if you catch it you will take it to the rangers and that is a great idea because in many states the fish commissioners require that they be killed and turned it, I don't know the regulations in Texas. Regardless of the destruction they will cause in a body water apparently they are very fun to catch and interesting looking also. Good luck fishing!

Nice fish KrisNZ!! I had a better day today in terms of numbers, caught 12, but the average weight was down today. This is about the biggest one I got today, 2-1/2 maybe. Same gear as yesterday.
382013arig_zps92f16933.jpg

From one of the best fishing days I've had on the lake. Got it going with some Crappie and was snapping them in as fast as I could get the last one off. Caught a couple other miscellaneous fish too. Kayak is a Future Beach Fusion 120.

48CA5F47-4F4C-45F9-9F69-899DBF4E7198-7059-000004F3F1E96A74_zps8e2470f2.jpg

DD8C41C3-79D8-4FBF-9F1A-3EF050FFAC49-7059-000004F3FA87E75D_zpsc742bb27.jpg

FED70B73-1301-4C49-9C1C-DB38A2776C0C-7059-000004F4052E2E13_zps268b2953.jpg

Some nice bass and trout, but this thread could use some salmon and some nice 'butts!

Salmon1_zps7768ee3f.jpgWhiteButt_zps04cd3cb4.jpgDirtyButt_zps2bef493d.jpgDipnet2_zps882b7a5f.jpg

Attachments

• Shortbus_zps7b8a50e5.jpg
    Shortbus_zps7b8a50e5.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 16
awesome pics. love the "outdoors" scene. beautiful. nice catch. looks like you're gonna have a full freezer.

Fishing has slowed down for me lately. The weather hasn't been the best, cold front came in and really put a damper on my bite. Suppose to rain the next 3 days and the colder temps are here to stay for at least the next week so I don't look for it to improve anytime soon. My last two trips didn't result in any worth taking pics of. These are the last two good ones I got before the weather change, I think it was about a week ago. One on the A-Rig and the other on the square bill crank on the deck of the boat.

arigspot_zps16da2a82.jpg

fatjohnspot_zps4578c54a.jpg

When do you like using the A rig? Do you think it would work well for fish suspended in open water close to points?

When do you like using the A rig? Do you think it would work well for fish suspended in open water close to points?

You just described one of the "text book" situations and locations to use the A-Rig. They are fantastic for suspended fish, no matter if they are relating to structure or not. Now points have been very good to me this year while using the rig but I've been able to catch them in 5-10 FOW while they were suspended over 30. Just as long as there are schools of baitfish present this rig will catch them. I've fished them over points, along grass lines, over sunken brush, and around boat docks & houses and it's caught fish off all of them. The only constant being the baitfish, no matter how good I caught them off point A yesterday if the baitfish have left I won't be getting many bites at all off it on the next.

I've had the most success on the rig at the two times of year when the bass are feeding the heaviest on baitfish, spring in preparation of the spawn and then again in late fall when they are feeding up for winter. I'm convinced that it will work as long as they are eating shad, naturally in the coldest part of winter when they aren't feeding much it's a very poor lure choice because IMO this bait is a "feeding response" bait not a reaction response as say when they are in a negative feeding mood but a jig is dropped right in front of their face in their living room, here they just eat out of reflex.

Also one more "tip" I can pass along about these rigs is you need to make the bait you have in the center of the rig different from the others in some way. Don't ask me why this makes such a big difference to them but it does, I started out using 5 swimbaits all the same color and size and wasn't getting bit very much. I read the tip to change the center bait in some way and it would improve your strike count but I didn't really believe it wholeheartedly. I changed my baits just to see if this was good info or just a "gimmick", turned out to be very solid advise so that's why I'm passing it along now. All I did was to downsize my four outside baits to 3-1/2" and put a 5" bait in the center, all the same color, and I started to get way more strikes. Also the middle bigger bait is the one the fish get 75-80% of the time.

I've seen all sorts of different ways people are "tweaking" their rigs to try and be as different as possible. I've seen some guys use casting spoons on the top two wires, a big swimbait in the center, and two smaller totally different color and design swimbaits on the lower two wires. I've even sen a guy that combined two 5 wire rigs to make a huge 9 wire one. He just attached the line tie of the second rig to the center wire of the rig he had tied to his line and therefore had nine swimbaits and hooks in the water on a single cast. That's going a little overboard IMO but to each his own. Point is there are countless ways to use these rigs and I'm sure there will be plenty of things to come from all the "experimenting" guys are doing right now. Get yourself one and enjoy.

Ditto! Are those striped ones sheepshead? Had some once and it was tasty!

Yes sir they are. They are delicious and plentiful, you just have to be careful cleaning them or you will get stuck with the spines on their back.

Back