MKM Terzuola TPF Defense MagnaCut Fixed Blade

You might want to take a look at Chicago Knife Works.
I don't think I will be ordering from that company anymore. I placed my order on October 31. On the first of November they said it shipped and gave me a tracking number. It sit in Marion, Va. For 4 days and did not move. It said "label created, usps awaiting shipment. This morning it had finally moved and said i would get it Wednesday. Ridiculous.

I received my order today.

mkm_tpf_defense_red_carbon_fiber.jpg

mkm_tpf_defense_red_carbon_fiber_with_kydex.jpg

I don't think I will be ordering from that company anymore. I placed my order on October 31. On the first of November they said it shipped and gave me a tracking number. It sit in Marion, Va. For 4 days and did not move. It said "label created, usps awaiting shipment. This morning it had finally moved and said i would get it Wednesday. Ridiculous.
Same, but I figured that was going to be the case.

Reactions: w
I saw this knife several months ago on a video from Shot Show and have been eagerly waiting. Finally today one of the online knife stores had it in stock so I ordered it. It comes with the black leather sheath that had a magnet built into it. I also ordered the optional kydex sheath. The knives come in 4 different handle materials, mine is g10. I'm excited. View attachment 2374164View attachment 2374165View attachment 2374166View attachment 2374167is g10. I'm excited.
This looks like a very nice knife, I'm having a machete/ bowie style blade made in Magnacut with similar teeth on the back like this just bigger of course. Please talk about the performance of this steel so I have an even better idea for what I will soon have.

Here is one of mine next to some fairly well known larger folders.

The good: Fit and finish. Things are nicely rounded, the jimping is sharp but not too sharp. It's very small. The sheath is very nice.
The bad: It's very slender from top to bottom, so despite the length being long enough for a full grip, it still feels like it doesn't fill out your hand. A knife doesn't have to be large to fill your hand, but this one doesn't quite get there.
The ugly: The sheath is very nice... buuuuut the sheath retention of the knife is much greater than the retention of the magnet belt loop, so you basically have to either hold the sheath with your other hand to draw it, or draw both the knife and sheath and then unsheath it.
MKM Umnumzaan and Jurassic.jpg
MKM and SHF.jpg

Here is one of mine next to some fairly well known larger folders.

The good: Fit and finish. Things are nicely rounded, the jimping is sharp but not too sharp. It's very small. The sheath is very nice.
The bad: It's very slender from top to bottom, so despite the length being long enough for a full grip, it still feels like it doesn't fill out your hand. A knife doesn't have to be large to fill your hand, but this one doesn't quite get there.
The ugly: The sheath is very nice... buuuuut the sheath retention of the knife is much greater than the retention of the magnet belt loop, so you basically have to either hold the sheath with your other hand to draw it, or draw both the knife and sheath and then unsheath it.

I found that the leather sheath loosened up a bit after a few days, so that with a minimal amount of push-off when drawing the knife, the sheath stays in place. YMMV, of course. I also got the Kydex sheath and added an ulti-clip, which works well.

Personally, I find the compact handle makes the knife more comfortable for pocket carry, but it does make it a little less comfortable than a Mora or something similar for extended usage.

Here is the TPF Defense next to a Cuda CQB2, another Bob Terzuola design, which is essentially the predecessor of the TPF. Despite having a shorter blade, the TPF has a bit more girth to its handle.

mkm_tpf_defense_with_cuda_cqb2.jpg

mkm_tpf_defense_with_cuda_cqb2_thickness.jpg

Yes, it's probably smaller than an isolated pic would suggest.

@W shows it next to the Fällkniven G1 in post #2,426 of the Fixed Blade thread.... this is the G1 in someone's hand:

They're about the same size. A bit too small for my taste.

I found that the leather sheath loosened up a bit after a few days, so that with a minimal amount of push-off when drawing the knife, the sheath stays in place. YMMV, of course. I also got the Kydex sheath and added an ulti-clip, which works well.

Personally, I find the compact handle makes the knife more comfortable for pocket carry, but it does make it a little less comfortable than a Mora or something similar for extended usage.

Here is the TPF Defense next to a Cuda CQB2, another Bob Terzuola design, which is essentially the predecessor of the TPF. Despite having a shorter blade, the TPF has a bit more girth to its handle.

mkm_tpf_defense_with_cuda_cqb2.jpg

mkm_tpf_defense_with_cuda_cqb2_thickness.jpg
The sheath is quality, especially for a factory leather sheath. I can tell it is loosening up already as well, so hopefully that resolves itself. I would prefer with a magnet retention that there was a sort of physical block or ledge to help retain it when you draw the knife out. The magnet is fairly strong, but not as strong pulling laterally, if that makes sense. It may actually be the nicest leather sheath I've seen for a factory fixed blade, certainly for one at this price point. I've had a couple other MKM fixed blades, and they also had better than average leather sheaths for the price point.

I don't abundantly love the thumb ramp location, either. When you get a full grip on it, if you align your thumb with the spine, my thumb wants to be forward of the thumb ramp on the jimped section there, but the pad of my thumb still about half on the thumb ramp.

Where are yall getting the kydex sheaths?
found a place

Last edited:
I saw this knife several months ago on a video from Shot Show and have been eagerly waiting. Finally today one of the online knife stores had it in stock so I ordered it. It comes with the black leather sheath that had a magnet built into it. I also ordered the optional kydex sheath. The knives come in 4 different handle materials, mine is g10. I'm excited. View attachment 2374164View attachment 2374165View attachment 2374166View attachment 2374167is g10. I'm excited.
Just bought 2 myself.

Reactions: w
It's a factory kit, most of the dealers who have the knife also have the kydex sheath kit.
the place I bought mine did not have it come up in my search, so I went to another place and they had it so I got it from them - of course after I bought it , the place where I bought the knife emailed me with a link to the sheath from them

So i plan on getting the kydex for the TPF. What size Ulti Clip would be best? The magnets on that leather sheath dont work well for me

The kydex sheaths appear to be sold out everywhere. Does anybody have info on restocking? Or know of a good source for a custom kydex or similar sheath for the Defense?

Back