Modern Traditionals....;)

Lionsteel Shuffler, Bolus clip, and Maserin Plow.
0diRp95.jpg

I have a question for knarfeng.
This Manly Wasp originally had a pocket clip, when you order from the U.S. distributor you can ask for a extra plate to cover the clip hole. I didn't know that at the time so I made a plate. In all other respects it is a modern slip joint.
My question is does it qualify as a modern traditional now?

When Gary Graley first brought the Manly Comrade to our attention here in Traditional (and to my pocket, as well), Peregrin-Gary and I said that the knife could be discussed in that thread as long as the clip was not showing. I see no reason why that would not apply to the Wasp. So the Wasp would be OK in this thread.

BTW, which alloy did you get? 12C27 or CPM S90V.
(My Comrade is in the original D2.)

The Wasp, indeed a great slicer and for me now, I have removed the offending non-traditional piece so it just rides in my pocket or my small pack.

IMG_7165 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

From left to right the knives are; Drugar, Peak2 and that thin bladed Wasp!
the shine you see along the edge is the one side of the bevel, the Wasp has nearly no edge bevel since she is so thin edged! If you were ever looking for a folder with a razor like blade, your search is over :)

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

All three cut very well, but the Wasp as you can see, she be thin to win !
G2

When Gary Graley first brought the Manly Comrade to our attention here in Traditional (and to my pocket, as well), Peregrin-Gary and I said that the knife could be discussed in that thread as long as the clip was not showing. I see no reason why that would not apply to the Wasp. So the Wasp would be OK in this thread.

BTW, which alloy did you get? 12C27 or CPM S90V.
(My Comrade is in the original D2.)

I went with CPM S90V the edge is thin, so it was easy to sharpen up.
My Comrade is D2 as well, I think I prefer sharpening the S90V on the Wasp.

Bought a little Boker SFO from an obscure Non-BF seller who does not specialize in knives.
Slip joint
2" drop point hollow ground blade made from 12C27 blade steel hardened to 58-60 HRC.
ORANGE G10 covers held together with Torx screws.

I chose to put this post in this particular thread because this is not really a traditional pattern and because of the orange G10 and torx screws. If you look at the overall outline of the knife in the first picture below, it "looks" like a modern one-hand opening knife design.

Why did I buy? You folks know me. It was the blade steel that caught my interest.
12C27 is reasonable close to 440A in composition and performance (yeah yeah, the chromium content is different. They still perform similarly.) Either one hardened to almost 60 Rockwell is good stuff in my book. Also, Boker makes both purely traditional and modern patterns. So I was interested to see their interpretation of a "modern traditional".

I'm pleased with the knife.

The fit and finish is good. Force required to open is about a 5. Blade is perfectly centered when closed. Came sharp. Nice thin blade. Slices like a little orange demon. But it does "feel" modern and somewhat industrial. I don't have a problem with that. I'm a user, not a collector. But, this is not for everyone.

I put a lanyard on it to help me fish it out of my pocket. I wear industrial cargo pants at work. I can put this in one of the cargo pockets and easily find it when I need it.

M7XGBZB.jpg

cZQDIwA.jpg

dg0v8rz.jpg
Frank, is that a striker pin (to prevent blade rap) that I see inside the blade well in your last picture? I don't see that mentioned anywhere on the website but yours looks like it has one.

I'm a big fan of Orange G10 and stainless steel. A striker pin would be just the thing to convince me to buy one of these.

Frank, is that a striker pin (to prevent blade rap) that I see inside the blade well in your last picture?

It appears to be so, to me.
♦ The blade edge does not strike the spring.
♦ There is not much of a kick on the base of the tang.
♦ When I press the back of the closed blade it does not depress and there is no spring movement.
♦ I see marks on the top of the pin similar to what one would expect from the blade tang resting on it.

Son of a gun. I hadn't noticed that detail till you pointed it out.
I think that's another X in the "modern" column.
Cool! Thanks!

It appears to be so, to me.
♦ The blade edge does not strike the spring.
♦ There is not much of a kick on the base of the tang.
♦ When I press the back of the closed blade it does not depress and there is no spring movement.
♦ I see marks on the top of the pin similar to what one would expect from the blade tang resting on it.

Son of a gun. I hadn't noticed that detail till you pointed it out.
I think that's another X in the "modern" column.
Cool! Thanks!

Awesome! Thanks Frank. I'll be ordering one today.:thumbsup:

Coming a bit late to this thread...
Modern traditionals seem to be gaining in popularity and manufacturers are offering us more choices. I really like this trend; there are some great innovative knives to delve into.

Perhaps in this light, BF could create a category (within the Traditional category ??) for these new style of knives that look to be more than just a passing fad.
That way we don't have to tiptoe around wondering if our pictures are a problem, or whether torx screws or G10 cross the line.

I bought two Pingos a year or two ago when Spyderco discontinued the model and dealers dropped prices.

With the pocket clip removed it’s a darned handy (and tough) watch pocket knife.

6169D612-7B89-4D71-9D6F-EF0FB342D907.jpeg

I'm glad to see companies trying their hand at modern traditionals and I think the trend will continue.
But
That WE Scamp just isn't checking boxes for me.
Yeah, think l agree, too.
That Scamp is Just a bit too "futuristic-looking."
Sorry Gary :(

Indeed I can, Manly Knives and check with @Lyubomir Trayanov as he is a paid dealer here on Bladeforums and a rep in the states for Manly knives.
G2

Back