Modern Traditionals....;)

William Henry's take on a modern traditional: 3" full belly SS Damascus cladded ZDP-189 blade, integral Ti bolsters and frame/liners, linen Micarta scales. I routinely EDC it without worry - not the typical bejeweled WH gentleman's knife. Oh, weighs in at a full 1.2 oz, including clip.
IMG_0285_zpsef118f54.jpg

IMG_0283_zps05846bde.jpg

Even with the chestnut bone scales, I thought that the Case Lanny's Clip I got was walking a fine line modernized and traditional. Yeah, yeah, I like my Tribal Spear, but it just seems old timey to me. The Lanny's Clip has really grown on me, once I started carrying it, and I like it, but it is more in the modern realm than the other annual collaborations I own.

I see the T. Bose Lanny's Clip (LC) design as a variation on a single bladed trapper pattern. It's a bit chunkier and more robust but still seems very traditional to me (but I'm certainly no expert).
Cramer LC Jr. is on the top, Ohta single blade WT in the middle and Chamblin 2 blade WT on the bottom.
2013-01-07_12-35-10_182.jpg

William Henry's take on a modern traditional: 3" full belly SS Damascus cladded ZDP-189 blade, integral Ti bolsters and frame/liners, linen Micarta scales. I routinely EDC it without worry - not the typical bejeweled WH gentleman's knife. Oh, weighs in at a full 1.2 oz, including clip.
IMG_0285_zpsef118f54.jpg

IMG_0283_zps05846bde.jpg

That's a great knife. I'd carry it in a minute. That being said, with the thumb stud, pocket clip and button lock, it doesn't meet the Traditional forum guidelines we use, for a traditional knife.

Sorry. I would not have posted it except for the modern aspect. Should I delete? Or if you can do it, just delete. Again, my apologies.

Sorry. I would not have posted it except for the modern aspect. Should I delete? Or if you can do it, just delete. Again, my apologies.

Not a problem. Thanks for contributing.

Case makes crossover knives too. The Russlock, Mid-folding Hunter and Trapperlock blur the line between modern and traditional. The addition of thumbstuds and pocket clips may take them over the line for many, and technically those features would bar them from the Traditional definition too. I really like them though.

trapperlock.jpg

russlock.jpg

midfolding.jpg

Boker has done similar with their Trapperliner and Copperliner:

copperliner.jpg

And Kershaw makes quite a few, I only have their Double Cross which seems to be a bit harder to find now, and their Double Duty which is a bit bigger. The locking liner down the centerline of the knife is pretty cool.

doublecross.jpg

If they don't belong I'll take them down guys, let me know.

Cheers,
Griff

Rough Rider locking Wharncliffe Trapper. The one-hand opening thumbhole clip blade locks,
and unlocks by depressing the closed Wharncliffe blade. A very useful pattern, not quite traditional.

LockingTrapper-1.jpg

That's an oddball for sure Jeff, but interesting, kind of morphed Trapper meets Spydie!

The locking mechanism is very clever (depressing the secondary) I have a Weidmannsheil in stag that uses the same method, so it must be oldschool.

Thanks, Will

As Sam noted in his first post, EnZo knives land in that in-between area of traditional and modern with their designs and materials. I just received a PK70 in curly birch, and it is a really nice knife. Slipjoint, Scandi grind blade with half stops in S30V with a removable pocket clip. I don't have a pic yet, but the birch handles are highly figured, fit and finish is first rate.

EnZo also makes models with single bolsters, no clip and full flat grinds. I'm thinking about getting one of their kits now, though I don't know how much free time I'll have with another 6 credits this semester ;)

Still in the same ball park, thought you might like to see what you can do with the PK70 and a bit of time:)

59B741A5-E5B0-4D9F-8643-1D805D08FC66-110-0000000A9147063B.jpg

Definitely a love/hate thing screw on scales:)

the other thing Enzo have done with the PK70 is re-design the slipjoint mechanism so that the blade has less spring but clicks firmly into the open position. Another Marmite moment as we say over here;)

Sam

That's an oddball for sure Jeff, but interesting, kind of morphed Trapper meets Spydie!

The locking mechanism is very clever (depressing the secondary) I have a Weidmannsheil in stag that uses the same method, so it must be oldschool.

Thanks, Will

That mechanism does indeed go way back. Weidmannsheil and a few other German companies used it before WW2. I've seen one old knife, a Bruckman if I recall, that had that locking method, and I don't think Bruckman survived the war.

Carl.

Rough Rider locking Wharncliffe Trapper. The one-hand opening thumbhole clip blade locks,
and unlocks by depressing the closed Wharncliffe blade. A very useful pattern, not quite traditional.

LockingTrapper-1.jpg

Hmmmm..... the more I look at that knife, the more I can see just how useful it could be. I like lock blades (actually, fixed more) on a trapper/skinner as that is one more bit of safety if the blade gets a good coating of blood and hair. It has enough belly for small game. I like the hole as it would make that knife possible to get open without taking gloves off when it is cold, or just make it easier on my sometimes achy hands.

And then that little sheepsfoot; indispensable for a million tasks. To me, that blade on the DB Barlow has made it just about the perfect edc.

Thanks for posting that one. Nice knife.

Robert

Robert, I liked it so much, I bought one in each handle material they make. Here are the other three.

IMG_9964.jpg

The yellow synthetic stays in my travel kit so I always have a large knife on vacation.

IMG_0285_zpsef118f54.jpg

IMG_0283_zps05846bde.jpg
Thats so beautiful.

Still in the same ball park, thought you might like to see what you can do with the PK70 and a bit of time:)

59B741A5-E5B0-4D9F-8643-1D805D08FC66-110-0000000A9147063B.jpg

Definitely a love/hate thing screw on scales:)

the other thing Enzo have done with the PK70 is re-design the slipjoint mechanism so that the blade has less spring but clicks firmly into the open position. Another Marmite moment as we say over here;)

Sam

Sweet, love the covers on your PK70 Sam! You've described the action on mine exactly, the lockup when open is very secure and opens with a satisfying 'click'.

Robert, I liked it so much, I bought one in each handle material they make. Here are the other three.

IMG_9964.jpg

The yellow synthetic stays in my travel kit so I always have a large knife on vacation.

Ohhhhhh buddy... I like that gunstock checkered knife, Jeff! I went to the big Smoky site to see if they had them in stock, but they are out for now. The more I think about that pattern the more I realize I need it!

Robert

Thanks, Will

A.G. Russell featured that design, based on an old knife he'd seen, in one of his older Knife Collectors Club knives in 1990, with AUS-8 blades, accessory phillips screwdriver, jigged bone covers (some were even made with stag, and they're hard to find), nickel liners and stainless bolsters. The main clip blade is unlocked in the same manner, by depressing the spine of the sheepsfoot (very nearly a Wharncliffe) blade:

fh-3a.jpg

David

David, does that one also have a screw driver in the butt? That would be extra useful.

And I always liked a copperhead bolster.

Back