Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

Kind of a modified production knife...

MtHIxYs.jpg

It’s a bottle opener made out of a leftover liner from a TL29 blade delete with some striped micarta handles. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.

Thank you! I got up this morning and both kids were sitting on the couch holding their (very dull) knives watching their shows. It was great.
Just another guy chiming in to say that those are fantastic :thumbsup:
To a large degree I carry traditional for the nostalgia, and those cheap advertising knives are very nostalgic for me, except these are much nicer! I also grew up on Disney movies, and now my daughter is so that makes them extra cool for me :cool:

Thanks. It was my first SAK for sure. The scrap pieces had a few existing holes I had to work around as shown in that center hole.
That's about how mine look without preexisting holes to work around. I'm thinking I should use white marine epoxy and pretend my oversized holes are decorative.
And structural! It increases grip on the pin.
Or invisible, if I have a white handle material.
Or pull out the cover pins and trust in the epoxy.

Hi, folks,

I am interested in trying to re-handle a Case half-whittler, but lack the expertise and equipment to
disassemble it. I was thinking that I could leave it held together by the center pin, remove the handle
pins on either end, and make scales that would fit using the center pin. From there, drill holes in the scales
from the opposite sides using the pin holes in the liners as a guide, and epoxy the scales to the liners.
Then, install the handle pins and do the final fitting.

However, a nagging little voice in my head keeps telling me this is probably NOT the way to go about it.

Any suggestions on how to re-handle the knife with it still assembled, or is that just an unwise approach?
Thanks very much for any information!
Sincerely,
John

Hi, folks,

I am interested in trying to re-handle a Case half-whittler, but lack the expertise and equipment to
disassemble it. I was thinking that I could leave it held together by the center pin, remove the handle
pins on either end, and make scales that would fit using the center pin. From there, drill holes in the scales
from the opposite sides using the pin holes in the liners as a guide, and epoxy the scales to the liners.
Then, install the handle pins and do the final fitting.

However, a nagging little voice in my head keeps telling me this is probably NOT the way to go about it.

Any suggestions on how to re-handle the knife with it still assembled, or is that just an unwise approach?
Thanks very much for any information!
Sincerely,
John
I've done that sort of thing a few times. I don't know if it's ideal, and the epoxy might not last as long as actual re-pinned covers. On the other hand, they seen to be holding up pretty well, and I figured it was less risky than trying to totally disassemble the knife. (I'm very artsy-craftsy, but not mechanically inclined)
xXR70WC.jpg
xOhvtaY.jpg

Some of the celluloid handled knives don't have cover pins, just sharp tabs that were melted on. I thought about drilling small holes and adding cosmetic pins, but haven't bothered.
CVjk06A.jpg
XXJcrn1.jpg

I was going to give making a folder from scratch a shot again but I ordered some 1095 that was too thick by accident. I figured if life gives you lemons, make something to cut them up with, so I decided to give fixed blades a shot. Thanks @Rose and Thistle Custom for the wood for the handle.
7E7652A9-051A-48C1-B918-809CDF74EE8C.jpeg
B1DC28FD-C95A-4BD3-9762-E690D34BF0A3.jpeg
E65CF905-2FFA-41E5-8108-4C66D7036602.jpeg
758CB5D6-01A6-4D3A-B3AE-22087152E760.jpeg
E4B11CBC-B77E-48E9-97AA-C2B2C805F138.jpeg
Edit: I know it’s not a modified production knife, I forget sometimes and just post everything here.

Last edited:
Back