Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

Thanks everyone for the replies. I really got into this thread after posting about my wanting a stag farmers jack. My interest has really grown the past few days on this, it reminded me of a forgotten, broken handled knife that’s been sitting in my corner of my toolbox at work for probably three years now. I’ve always enjoyed making things by hand and have good attention to detail so I think you all know where I’m going with this. I’ll post some pics of my project knife when I figure out how to post pics. We’ll see how it goes, maybe I’ll be able to do my own stag farmers jack one day.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I really got into this thread after posting about my wanting a stag farmers jack. My interest has really grown the past few days on this, it reminded me of a forgotten, broken handled knife that’s been sitting in my corner of my toolbox at work for probably three years now. I’ve always enjoyed making things by hand and have good attention to detail so I think you all know where I’m going with this. I’ll post some pics of my project knife when I figure out how to post pics. We’ll see how it goes, maybe I’ll be able to do my own stag farmers jack one day.
Shoot me an email at jwritchie76@gmail.com with pics of both knives. I have no problem helping you out. It is after all your property.

Signalprick Signalprick I’ve decided not to disassemble the stag grinling. The forgotten knife I referred to in my post earlier is a blood red grinling that I dropped and broke the scale a few years back. I took it apart removed scale and pins and put it back together threw it in my toolbox, got busy with life and forgot about it. After looking thru this thread and some others I want to attempt to repair this one myself since I figure theres nothing to lose. On to the stag farmers jack, I’m gonna put it on the back burner until I decide if Im gonna try it myself.

Signalprick Signalprick I’ve decided not to disassemble the stag grinling. The forgotten knife I referred to in my post earlier is a blood red grinling that I dropped and broke the scale a few years back. I took it apart removed scale and pins and put it back together threw it in my toolbox, got busy with life and forgot about it. After looking thru this thread and some others I want to attempt to repair this one myself since I figure theres nothing to lose. On to the stag farmers jack, I’m gonna put it on the back burner until I decide if Im gonna try it myself.
Fortune favors the bold! No worries and have fun with it. Feel free to reach out with any questions at any time.

Sure thing, First how are you posting pics without a link? Definitely wanna post progress as I go.

Sure thing, First how are you posting pics without a link? Definitely wanna post progress as I go.
I think you have to have a paid membership then there is a tab where you can upload pics straight to a post. Personally I dont even own a computer anymore. I do everything straight from my smartphone.

F95DB9D3-14CA-469E-AB62-AF8E9675DD08.jpeg 5481DC1D-D42B-4897-8A85-252E03689460.jpeg EFACFC9C-A59E-4ECE-A18B-9655759C5111.jpeg This is it before I started, disassembled it this morning. In the morning I’ll remove the other scale and pins from the liner and order some 3/32 NS rod and 1/16 brass rod. I need to decide on material and order also. Not a fan of micarta so just assuming some type of wood would be my best bet for a first time? Would love opinions on what woods y’all believe are easier/more predictable to work with? Anything I missed?

Last edited:
I think a bar shield is what I’m leaning toward for this. Anyone know of any suppliers? Or will I have to make one?

Wondering what you guys think about an idea I have? Been thinking about picking up a #35 calf/pen and doing a lock liner/wharncliff delete. Keeping the one arm razor blade and making it a lefty with a shield on the pile side (reverse side). Keep it a shadow pattern using micarta and all NS hardware? My thoughts are with the nick being on the back side of the one arm blade it'd make a nice change up for a lefty user. Is the idea of making it a lefty stupid?

Last edited:
I think a bar shield is what I’m leaning toward for this. Anyone know of any suppliers? Or will I have to make one?
Looking good so far, if you have thin, sheet metal and thin pins you could make your own easy enough, but there are suppliers that have that stuff I just don’t know them, signalprick might as well as wave rave. If it’s not too late and the middle spacer is steel I would sand it down a bit on the well side of the pin area if it’s going to be a user, on mine I was getting a lot of blade wrap and rather than sharpen out the blade I folded up some sandpaper to cut a grove in that area which worked perfectly better to do before it’s back together though, I also wouldn’t do too much it looks like there’s not a lot to take out.
Wondering what you guys think about an idea I have? Been thinking about picking up a #35 calf/pen and doing a lock liner/wharncliff delete. Keeping the one arm razor blade and making it a lefty with a shield on the pile side (reverse side). Keep it a shadow pattern using micarta and all NS hardware? My thoughts are with the nick being on the back side of the one arm blade it'd make a nice change up for a lefty user. Is the idea of making it a lefty stupid?
I don’t think it’s a bad idea at all, the make left handed liner locks, so why not.

Back