Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

Hi, good evening everyone. I have a stag 38 whittler and a blackwood 38 orchard gem I’m looking for someone who could swap the blades and springs in these two. I’d love to see them both be able to go back together. But, a stag farmers jack is my grail knife and it would be the priority. Thanks for any help, Nick

Hi, good evening everyone. I have a stag 38 whittler and a blackwood 38 orchard gem I’m looking for someone who could swap the blades and springs in these two. I’d love to see them both be able to go back together. But, a stag farmers jack is my grail knife and it would be the priority. Thanks for any help, Nick
The help I will give you, and I hope you listen, is to not do what it is you are trying to do. That 38 stag is rare and widely coveted, it would be a mistake to tamper with it, it would devalue it. You should be asking if someone will recover the orchard gem if that’s the one you want in stag.

What the others said. I know those Grinlings are like hens teeth but for me the Blackwood 38 is the one GEC I want right now. If you ever decide to part with it I'd be up for 2 - 3 recovers free of charge in exchange. I'd hate to see it get messed up.

Thanks everyone for the replies, honestly I do agree and I would actually prefer to keep the steel bolsters and liners in the FJ. Would anyone here be willing to take this on? Signalprick I may have an offer for you.

Steel bolsters & liners co-exist a lot better with Stag as well ;) But you have to find decent Stag first and that can take a while.

Would anyone here be interested in modding the blade of a GEC 93 into a lambfoot?

It doesn't seem to me possible. The ramfoot and the lambfoot are two very different blades. On the lambfoot the spine has a negative angle, clockwise, and the edge has a positive angle.
The ramfoot spine is at 12:00, the edge has a negative angle. If you grind the spine to get the right angle the nail nick (or the long cut) will be on the way. To get the right edge angle you will have to taper the primary grind drastically on an already thin stock. Remains the kick, the two blades have different kick shapes, you will have to file the ramfoot kick to nest the tip in the swell but not sure you will get the typical kick shape the lambfoot features. It would look odd.

Dan.

Finished up the #93 yesterday. I'm very happy with how it came out. Figuring out how to do a shadow pattern was a challenge but once you get it its one of them light bulb moments.
20191215_162533.jpg

20191215_162548.jpg

20191215_162639.jpg

20191215_162609.jpg

20191215_162614.jpg

Back